• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Our Home Support

Tony Towner

Reaction score
I'll start this by saying I'm 1/28500 of the problem, so this isn't a dig at any individual or a particular stand, but imo our support at home since Covid against anything other than the Sky 6 and Villa if we are having a go is poor. We have the flags before the game and Hi Ho is still well sung but after that more often than not it's just flat. Brentford fans were singing football in a library at 0-0 today and they were right, so interested to hear people's views.
Is it that the PL is the norm and we've become accustomed to it and a bit complacent?
An ageing fan base who by definition aren't going to be vocal?
VAR has sucked the passion out?
We've become gentrified as people have been priced out?
Something else?
I'm wrong?

My personal view is it's mainly 1 with a touch of 2. If that is the case how do we change it?

Never going to get a red hot atmosphere against teams like Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford etc. Never been any different in that respect.

The exodus at 0-2 from all four stands is shit support.

Never going to get a red hot atmosphere against teams like Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford etc. Never been any different in that respect.

Red hot no, but that flat after a great win last week seems a new low.

Full disclosure I walked after the Lemina yellow as it was clear Hooper wouldn't let us get back into the game

Can only speak to what comes across on TV, but it hasn't been a pattern I've especially noticed, fwiw.

I think part of it today is that Brentford under Frank are usually quite good at sucking the air out of a place, and they were so for the majority of the match.

Always seems the same against teams like Brentford/Palace/Bournemouth etc, the stands need the players to ignite the crowd, slow starts on the pitch are mirrored in the stands. Think it was about 20 mins before I heard the southbank today, (not having a dig) it may have been because I was opposite end of the ground near a very vocal Brentford.

Also the away fans only being in the quad stops any connection with southbank, that would generate more of an atmosphere imo.

Maybe looking through gold tinted glasses but as a teenager always used to get in half hr early in the late 80s to get my spot by the fence to no man's land on the SB, and atmosphere started building with banter whilst teams were warming up. Now days the ground is only 75% full as the teams come out.

Last edited:
I used to sing all the time. I don’t anymore. Don’t know why. No one round me does either really (NB lower). Think we had a spell of good songs which helped, we don’t really have that now.

Last edited:
I thought the crowd were crap against United last week too, almost expectant.

I guess there is some understandable Premier league fatigue now though, it's not all shiny and fresh like it used to be.

Also the away fans only being in the quad stops any connection with southbank, that would generate more of an atmosphere imo.
I don't think 1000 of them being in the middle of the Steve Bull would have made much difference. I guess my concern is we need something on or off the pitch to spark us. I've been to Old Trafford and Anfield where we've been the lower team people just expect to turn up and beat and the atmosphere has been crap, so I'm not calling Wolves fans out particularly, but in a game like today if the fans had been on it then it would have made the game more difficult for Brentford. I do acknowledge the chicken and egg element of that as we were passive and crap on the pitch as well. I suppose what I'm trying to say is a relegation threatened team with very few fans came to Molineux and it wasn't intimidating in the slightest and it's a pretty regular occurrence

Leicester fans have a thread on how quiet and crap their home support is. And they're top of the league and winning every game.

It's just systemic in football and is getting worse thanks to higher prices and more and more daytrippers.

Just football in general I think.

'We' mock Liverpool with the 'wheres your famous atmosphere' but in reality its the same for them against us as games for us are against Brentford, Bournemouth and Fulham and the like.

Unless something ignites the atmosphere you'll get atmospheres like today.

Then add 39 home goals in the two seasons after lockdown.

Its the general apathy of the Premier League, the once hostile atmosphere at Stoke was pathetic during their last season or two, the once bouncing Holmesdale End is fairly shite these days too.

Got to be careful too about going all Boomer and harking back to an era that never existed.

How good do you think the atmosphere was in 1994 when we were losing at home to Southend? As I was there I'll tell you, not very.

Leicester fans have a thread on how quiet and crap their home support is. And they're top of the league and winning every game.

It's just systemic in football and is getting worse thanks to higher prices and more and more daytrippers.
That's odd! So if prices were halved the fans would sing louder, or even sing??

Im only watching on the telly obvs but thought maybe the crowd sound was turned down it was that quiet. Heard the 'GON's barmy army' in the background, but that was about all.
On fans leaving early: I've never understood that. If we were 5-0 down I'd still be there until 5 mins after the final whistle.
Never ever left a game early personally.

As a day tripper yourself do you sing?

That's a genuine question not a dig.

Always seems the same against teams like Brentford/Palace/Bournemouth etc, the stands need the players to ignite the crowd, slow starts on the pitch are mirrored in the stands. Think it was about 20 mins before I heard the southbank today, (not having a dig) it may have been because I was opposite end of the ground near a very vocal Brentford.
The atmosphere was fucking shit for 80% of the games in the late 80's.

A decrepit stadium falling to bits with the Southbank having about 3000 people in it and huge empty spaces was not always a great place.

Got to be careful too about going all Boomer and harking back to an era that never existed.

How good do you think the atmosphere was in 1994 when we were losing at home to Southend? As I was there I'll tell you, not very.
Like I said if, your meaning my post I am probably looking back through gold tinted glasses and with the ground half condemned it wasn't great at times.

However do you agree we had a larger variety of songs/chants? Nowadays it's just Those were the days, Come on Wanderers, Cunha/Neto chants, and Barmy army.

The atmosphere was fucking shit for 80% of the games in the late 80's.

A decrepit stadium falling to bits with the Southbank having about 3000 people in it and huge empty spaces was not always a great place.
See above.

I don't think 1000 of them being in the middle of the Steve Bull would have made much difference. I guess my concern is we need something on or off the pitch to spark us. I've been to Old Trafford and Anfield where we've been the lower team people just expect to turn up and beat and the atmosphere has been crap, so I'm not calling Wolves fans out particularly, but in a game like today if the fans had been on it then it would have made the game more difficult for Brentford. I do acknowledge the chicken and egg element of that as we were passive and crap on the pitch as well. I suppose what I'm trying to say is a relegation threatened team with very few fans came to Molineux and it wasn't intimidating in the slightest and it's a pretty regular occurrence
I don't think it's been regular this season at all. It was good against Utd, excellent v Everton, Spurs and even Burnley.

It was crap today and it was appalling watching the North Bank nearly empty at 80 minutes. Embarrassing.

See above.
There are chants about the Albion and the manager, general chipping away at the referee.

I don't miss the racist chants and the violent chants of the 80's at all.

We still sing 'get into em' and a variety of the old songs. I think time has just moved on.

Back