• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Our Home Support

Like I said if, your meaning my post I am probably looking back through gold tinted glasses and with the ground half condemned it wasn't great at times.

However do you agree we had a larger variety of songs/chants? Nowadays it's just Those were the days, Come on Wanderers, Cunha/Neto chants, and Barmy army.

No mate, not aimed at you at all. Just think that's something to avoid, in my 36 years (Christ) of watching us there have always been good and bad days for support.

I think there's also a reverting to the mean too.

We really did have lightning in a bottle with the Nuno side. mid-lower Championship to Europa League inside 30 months.

Even if another manager took us to those heights it wouldn't garner the same support for the journey. Nobody under the age of about 50 can remember seeing Wolves in European competition or seeing us not having to worry about relegation from the top division.

Since those days European qualification feels as far away as it did in 2015 and relegation feels like we're one bad window away from.

occasion dictates the atmosphere, Brentford at home when we’re mid table isn’t going to get many bouncing unless we start off on fire.
If we 17th and Brentford 18th the atmosphere probably goes up a level or 2.
Demographics of the fan base is interesting, in the North Bank the average age must be late 50’s. Having said that blokes in their 50’s can be as much vocal.
Also a case of we’ve seen a lot of good things in the last 7 years so it’s a case of what next.
Attendances are still good and will be for the foreseeable.
There’s a big problem with bringing younger fans through parents just can’t afford it.

As a day tripper yourself do you sing?

That's a genuine question not a dig.
I'll join in as much as possible. Obviously if everyone around me is quiet I'm not gonna be belting it out on my own.

I do think the variety of songs sung, by all teams, seems to be less than it was. Might just be rose-tinted’ry though.
Said it before but it always spins me head a bit to hear tunes repeated from club to club. Only so many songs to go around, granted.

With all the shine Liverpool get for YNWA, it's very funny to me that Celtic do the same thing almost verbatim.

I'll join in as much as possible. Obviously if everyone around me is quiet I'm not gonna be belting it out on my own.
So day trippers might not be the problem, it might just be what is going on on the pitch itself. From my experience Molineux had always been like that. But YMMV.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of shit atmospheres is for good men to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke.​

Last edited:
Personally I can think of numerous periods when the fan base was worse or over expecting.
Early 90’s were awful especially with the stadium layout and us not getting much over 12k each home game (we weren’t alone on this)
Late 90’s and the lethargy under Colin Lee.
The Hoddle seasons from 04-06.
Not included the seasons of fans in revolt.
I think there’s a case of when the club is drifting along with no real aim the crowd will become quiet. Fighting relegation, promotion or getting into Europe the crowd will respond.
Almost certain the crowd for BHA in the cup will be more lively.

I'd say Molineux was one of the better home atmospheres. Today it was appalling but in general I think our home atmosphere is pretty good compared to most grounds.

So day trippers might not be the problem, it might just be what is going on on the pitch itself. From my experience Molineux had always been like that. But YMMV.
I've always joined in with the singing when I've gone to away games, which for me is the majority, as everyone else is singing.
Sitting in the NBU, it's been very different.

Last edited:
There was one point at the end of the first half where it was actually silent. The players on the pitch weren’t even shouting.

Kicked off at the back (right side) of the South Bank when they scored the second.
There’s a twat who, at every game, just spends the whole match shouting how shit every player is, a few of shall we say ‘lads’ had had enough of it and let him know.
It’s that sort of support that does my head in, (the constant moaning obviously), rather than the lack of noise.

I thought the support yesterday, and for most of Man Utd game was dire, especially yesterday.
Its hard to explain why? You would think a 3pm Saturday kick off and after recent results, Molineux would at least have been average.
We owed the players and Gary O'Neil a better atmosphere yesterday - and before anyone says we pay to be entertained yes I do get that, but it was so poor. The worst I remember in recent years and naturally in that time there has been some poor atmospheres.

We have priced out many people, contrast that to the hordes of 16 year old at Albion who are priced in and able to get tickets easily.

Yet I look around the South Bank, it is the same people - teenagers, 20-30 year olds, 40-60 year olds - a good mix - who made such a great atmosphere v Everton and other recent games. Just couldn't get motivated yesterday.

Part of this is the lack of away fans in the Steve Bull to have banter with, but I suspect the larger part is to do with psyche - nearly everyone including myself thought we would win yesterday - there was a general expectation that we would do that and it creates a vocal malaise. It seems as fans we never learn.

As said the aim for the rest of the season in the league is pretty blurred, far to good and already have enough points banked to worry about relegation, everyone is realistic enough to know Europe is to far a push. Pretty much means everyone knows we’re just going through the process of playing out the season.
Small away following tucked up in the NB corner doesn’t help I agree.
It’s a problem just about everywhere especially in the PL.
Atmosphere in grounds has been an ongoing problem not just a post 1992 issue.
As said anyone who went to games in the early 90’s and even before that as the elders will surely agree, stadiums were derelict unpleasant places and often only half full.
You can just look at all clubs crowds back then, we were well supported in Div 2 and only got around the 11-12k mark on average.
I’d say we’ve got a very patient fan base compared to others we haven’t had discontented fans for a long time and that includes KJ dour last season, the Lambert bore fest, and Bruno’s tripe.

Last edited:
You aren't correct about the 90s attendances

I also don't agree that before yesterday the general consensus was we were going through the motions. There's a difference between expecting us to make Europe and being hopeful we could.

I also don't agree that before yesterday the general consensus was we were going through the motions. There's a difference between expecting us to make Europe and being hopeful we could.
Got to remember this figure included season ticket holders who didn't always go. Very much on the high side of the actuals.

91/92 3-4 fixtures vastly changed the average Blackburn Boxing Day, Boro last game, Leicester at home all over 18k. Conversely 11 times that season the home gate was 12k or below on 2 occasions it dipped below 10k.
Think more walk ups happened for the bigger games.

Ok then but even still the outside chance of getting in the conference league won’t evoke as much emotion as genuine contention or battling to stay up or go up. Certainly isn’t enough weight in the game especially when there’s less than 2k away fans from a club who traditionally wouldn’t be classed as top level opponents.

Still plenty of the same faces in the South Bank, but a few who round by us who now bring there 5 / 6 year old kids. A bit awkward when your calling the referee a wanker. When Cunha went down injured I heard at least a couple of people moaning that it’ll affect their fantasy football team.

Back