• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford (A, FAC) 5/1: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
A Happy New Year to all.

In some years the FA Cup has taken a necessary back seat for us as we've had bigger fish to fry in other competitions, but that doesn't apply this year. Clearly no danger of relegation and while it'd be great to continue to the festive form and push for a European spot through the league, it's going to be a very tough ask especially with playing most of the big hitters away from home for the rest of the season. So let's give it as good a go as we can, especially as we don't even play again after this for 17 days (barring a replay).

A couple of enforced changes and the odd tweak for me, otherwise full strength. Give Lemina some more time off unless he actively asks to play. Hopefully Brentford's struggles in the league cause them to go weak (they can play Collins if they want). Toney is still unavailable for this one.

-----------------------------------Sa-------------------------------

--------------------Kilman-------Dawson----Mosquera-------------

Semedo------------Doyle------------J Gomes--------------H Bueno

--------------------Sarabia------Cunha-------Neto-----------------

2023/24: W 4-1 (A)
2022/23: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2021/22: L 0-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2017/18: W 3-0 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2016/17: W 3-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2015/16: L 0-2 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2014/15: W 2-1 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2013/14: D 0-0 (H), W 3-0 (A)

We don’t have a game for another two weeks so I hope he goes full strength. Coaches/managers rarely seem to do this. Nuno throwing that Southampton game when we had nothing else to play for springs to mind :(

Id bring Lemina, Neto and Bueno in. If Lemina is available of course.

Our Third Round record isn't too bad, even with our ridiculous luck over the last decade in drawing Premier League teams. Should have gone through last year if not for at least two atrocious decisions.

2023: Liverpool (A) D 2-2, Liverpool (H) L 0-1
2022: Sheff Utd (H) W 3-0
2021: Crystal Palace (H) W 1-0
2020: Man Utd (H) D 0-0, Man Utd (A) L 0-1
2019: Liverpool (H) W 2-1
2018: Swansea (H) D 0-0, Swansea (A) L 1-2
2017: Stoke (A) W 2-0
2016: West Ham (A) L 0-1
2015: Fulham (A) D 0-0, Fulham (H) D 3-3 (lost on pens)
2014: N/A (lost to Oldham in R1)
2013: Luton (A) L 0-1
2012: Birmingham (A) D 0-0, Birmingham (H) L 0-1
2011: Doncaster (A) D 2-2, Doncaster (H) W 5-0
2010: Tranmere (A) W 1-0
2009: Birmingham (A) W 2-0
2008: Cambridge (H) W 2-1
2007: Oldham (H) D 2-2, Oldham (A) W 2-0
2006: Plymouth (H) W 1-0
2005: Millwall (H) W 2-0
2004: Kidderminster (A) D 1-1, Kidderminster (H) W 2-0
2003: Newcastle (H) W 3-2
2002: Gillingham (H) L 0-1
2001: Nottingham Forest (A) W 1-0
2000: Wigan (A) W 1-0
1999: Bolton (A) W 2-1
1998: Darlington (A) W 4-0
1997: Portsmouth (H) L 1-2
1996: Birmingham (A) D 1-1, Birmingham (H) W 2-1
1995: Mansfield (A) W 3-2
1994: Crystal Palace (H) W 1-0

Last edited:
We don’t have a game for another two weeks so I hope he goes full strength. Coaches/managers rarely seem to do this. Nuno throwing that Southampton game when we had nothing else to play for springs to mind :(

Id bring Lemina, Neto and Bueno in. If Lemina is available of course.
Lage did it vs Norwich too.

Was very rarely angry with Nuno but I was for that one. Prioritised a league game against them shortly after which meant nothing.

Happy New Year to you all.

Dan's team for me. No excuse not to go full strength for the cup as we're not doing anything else this season.

Seems GO is sticking with the Cup keeper stuff if the League Cup outings are anything to go by
Ex-Brentford so THE FOOTBALL GODS have already guaranteed him a clean sheet and two penalty saves, obviously.

Seems GO is sticking with the Cup keeper stuff if the League Cup outings are anything to go by
Yep, but given how genuinely awful he's been, he shouldn't. Not if he wants us to progress.

It's like throwing the game.

I doubt he has it in his contract he's a cup keeper like Ruddy probably did.

Yep, but given how genuinely awful he's been, he shouldn't. Not if he wants us to progress.

Although worth remembering that we went with the cup keeper to start with last season (Sarkic), put the first choice in for the replay and he cost us the game with a ludicrous error...

Saved us points v Burnley to balance out the shit v West Ham (although we would have lost that with any keeper as we were shite)

Prefer Sa to play but would be surprised if he did.

Another who'd go full strength including the keeper. Can't see Mosquera playing as that would rule out a loan later in the window, which seems to be the plan.

Bentley, S Bueno and Doc will start. Be amazed if they didn’t. Mosquera might, but as we are alledgedly sending him to the championship then probably not. Bellegarde probably gets a start too as still don’t think they’ll start Neto after only giving him 10 mins the other day.

I'd go with the gender realigned Deutsch's team apart from I'd put Santi in instead of Mosquera.

He probably has a "play in cup games clause"... nah, I'm not gonna do it.

Got all of them on the quiz but was fortunate that I could just pick three names I knew from the 92-93 games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back