• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

If it stops Attwell getting his Luton pencil case and ruler out to see where he will draw the lines then I can live with it.

Well, Wolves aren't playing in the Euros, so they won't be able to continue their vendetta against us there...

That's a bit disingenuous, when they say things like "we got 92% of decisions right" they're including Adlène Guedioura smashing it 30 yards over the bar and giving a goal kick and Jérémy Hélan dribbling it straight out of play and a Millwall throw-in being the right call.

The contentious decisions are that narrow 5-10% and they almost certainly have improved. But the errors look worse because there's no real excuse for getting it horrifically wrong and they do.

That's a bit disingenuous, when they say things like "we got 92% of decisions right" they're including Adlène Guedioura smashing it 30 yards over the bar and giving a goal kick and Jérémy Hélan dribbling it straight out of play and a Millwall throw-in being the right call.

The contentious decisions are that narrow 5-10% and they almost certainly have improved. But the errors look worse because there's no real excuse for getting it horrifically wrong and they do.
This is it. VAR hasn't made the refs worse, it's just put the spotlight (a minutes-long, game-freezing spotlight) on just how bad they actually are at this.

I think it has, some don't make close decisions and wait for the technology to do so
See how you get here but it's a very difficult thing to narrow down to just the presence of VAR.

I just wish once in a blue moon one of them would go over to the screen and say nah I'm happy with my decision.
This definitely won't happen often whilst "clear and obvious" is in place. Circling back to Tony's point about psychology, with VAR structured as it is now, sending the ref to the monitor is already saying "you've probably got this wrong".

This definitely won't happen often whilst "clear and obvious" is in place. Circling back to Tony's point about psychology, with VAR structured as it is now, sending the ref to the monitor is already saying "you've probably got this wrong".
If you look at the clip I put up earlier, there's no probably. They tell our number 1 referee he is, what his decision should be and show him why with the angles and speeds they wanted. The 'we think that's worth having a look at' message is a red herring. EP says all Atwell was shown against Bournemouth was a swinging arm without the context, that's manufacturing the result you want, not letting the ref see the full picture

This is it. VAR hasn't made the refs worse, it's just put the spotlight (a minutes-long, game-freezing spotlight) on just how bad they actually are at this.
Disagree. VAR provides a comfort blanket now. Not a big deal if you get a decision wrong.

Disagree. VAR provides a comfort blanket now. Not a big deal if you get a decision wrong.
Isn't it? Seems to me the scrutiny has never been higher, at least not in the last ~15 years.

Back