• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

That looks like we'll need mitigations of some sort. I guess the hope is, as always, vaccinations and booster vaccinations keep people out of hospital.

That looks like we'll need mitigations of some sort. I guess the hope is, as always, vaccinations and booster vaccinations keep people out of hospital.
The full thread suggests not as much as with delta.

I know someone who is friends with a consultant who works at the QE. He says it's overwhelmingly ethnic minorities who are in hospital there.

Not surprising really.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211205-101519.png
    Screenshot_20211205-101519.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 25
I know someone who is friends with a consultant who works at the QE. He says it's overwhelmingly ethnic minorities who are in hospital there.
I'm assuming (if true) that it's vaccine hesitancy due to being nervous about govt interaction.
A Sikh friend of ours is constantly trying to persuade his friends and family to get their jabs

I'm assuming (if true) that it's vaccine hesitancy due to being nervous about govt interaction.
A Sikh friend of ours is constantly trying to persuade his friends and family to get their jabs
Hesitancy around govt interaction is definitely part of it. Alot of the people in these communities have come from places where they have been terribly oppressed by the authorities.

Another thing that's hard to appreciate if you've not really seen it, is how detached live is from the mainstream of UK. English isn't even spoken at all in alot of cases. I'm only aware of it as I've worked pretty extensively in all of these areas over the years so I've seen it for myself, they are very insular communities.

It's easy to get an impression on Twitter etc that the low vaccine rates are down to the loud mouth conspiracy nutters, when in reality they make up a tiny proportion of the overall numbers.

Unvaccinated decimating our health system. Selfish wankers.

I’m massively pro-vaccination but to honest, I find it quite uncomfortable using inflammatory language and demonising groups of people who have views we don’t understand or share.

It’s a dangerous game when healthcare professionals start wading in too. Nicki Credland is quite right in what she is saying, but getting your sledgehammer out to drive the wedge deeper is only going to demonise those groups more and fuel the fire. It’s hard to see any advantages in that.

Unfortunately, history suggests that some negative pandemic-related behaviors tend to persist after a disease becomes endemic or is eliminated. One of these is the disproportionate targeting of groups perceived as “outsiders” within the dominant society. When the pandemic subsides, says Kenny, the social restrictions likely to remain “are the ones that affect minority groups”.

Just back from France and negative PCR so all good.

Very noticable the apparent acceptance and compliance to the Covid protocols. Biggest shock was the absolute enforcement of Covid passport for entry to bars/cafes/public venues. Every venue used one of those hand-held scanner devices without exception and it all did feel very ‘big-brother’.

As mentioned previously I’m very pro-vaccination, but can’t help feeling this is an uncomfortable step too far. Difficult to see how those who don’t want to get vaccinated, or even those who see this as an infringement on their basic rights are going to be able to function in a society like that. Forcing people into a corner never ends well unfortunately.

Going to the Motorcycle show at the NEC on Thursday, we gotta show vaccine passes there, be interested to see how it works

Can’t argue with that article Tredman. But I don’t know what the answer is.

People who are going to have it will have had it. And the people who haven’t had it will surely know someone who “was young but nearly died and is now suffering long term” or simply “got really ill and on the brink of hospitilisation”, I know I do.

So if that isn’t changing anything then what will? And as Cambridge Wolf says, all the threats etc. Can just make people make angry and make the decision out of spite/principal.

I wouldn’t be happy if a family member had urgent treatment delayed (and die as result) because of someone else being irresponsible (anti vax, other poor lifestyle choice) but you can’t just let people die, or charge them for it or any other solution.

I guess the only solution is increase capacity, which they tried and failed with for various reasons.

I think we are going to cancel our trip to New York now that pre entry tests have been reintroduced. Too much of a risk to get stranded over Xmas. Can get money back for flights and hotels but not the 4 lots of tickets bought

I think we are going to cancel our trip to New York now that pre entry tests have been reintroduced. Too much of a risk to get stranded over Xmas. Can get money back for flights and hotels but not the 4 lots of tickets bought
That’s a real bummer but does sound like the right thing to do. Funnily enough, had a similar conversation just this morning and have agreed to cancel a holiday to Mexico on 20th January. Always knew there was risk involved in booking something like that but the goalposts have moved to the point it’s a risk no longer worth taking.

Not really sure how we will ever be able to plan trips with any certainty. Must be a nightmare for those with loved ones abroad.

Unfortunately, history suggests that some negative pandemic-related behaviors tend to persist after a disease becomes endemic or is eliminated. One of these is the disproportionate targeting of groups perceived as “outsiders” within the dominant society. When the pandemic subsides, says Kenny, the social restrictions likely to remain “are the ones that affect minority groups”.

The global march to a vaccine passport is unabated and will not be reversed.

Which is fair enough if you believe in a society where the state decides what is put into your body else you lose your job and cease being a social being. The minority group is diverse (see the protests globally ) and they will be tagged as the outcasts/unwashed/selfish bastards. This minority group will grow not least when they see the clamour to vaccinate five year olds or realise their own immune system is more than enough to keep them alive or that the jab doesn't stop transmission - reported as 37%. Get jabbed and be free they were told. Yeah, right ... the double jabbed will join the ranks of the unwashed if they don't do number 3, 4, 5 etc etc

The NHS is always overwhelmed this time of year and those vulnerable to respiratory illness are the old, overweight and/or suffering from underlying illness (regardless of their labels). The waiting lists are further exasperated by GP's being told to prioritise the jabbing of the fit and healthy, yet cannot see many vulnerable people face to face. The fallout from lockdown in terms of those undiagnosed and those suffering mental health issues will be catastrophic.

It's easy to get an impression on Twitter etc that the low vaccine rates are down to the loud mouth conspiracy nutters, when in reality they make up a tiny proportion of the overall numbers.

IMO the general theme in this label obsessed society is that non BAME refusers are selfish bastards, cranks and conspiracy nutters but BAME refusers are mitigated by social injustice and any other divisive excuse that can be wheeled out in order to blame somebody probably 'Brexiteer types'. Perhaps it's just a diverse group of human beings that are saying 'fuck you, I don't trust you - I won't do what you tell me'.

Back