• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

Both me and my Wife have received our state pension increases in the post for April, the triple lock, the gift that keeps on giving.
Yeah, I’m a Baby Boomer, do I feel guilty?, Nah. ;)
My late Dad’s bank released his estate into my account following probate being granted, suffice to say my two sons and two Granddaughters have all received a very nice surprise.
I was paying 14/15% late eighties early nineties.

I think it's possible to separate our beliefs in how we think society should operate, from doing what we can to make the best of the shitty system we have. I believe that the economic system should provide for everybody to have a way of life that doesn't mean they constantly have to worry about having enough income to survive, pay bills, eat healthily. We don't have that system so if someone wants to maximise what they can to help themselves and their family live comfortably, by taking advantage of the opportunities they can, I don't have a problem with that. People shouldn't have to, but as they have to, make the most of these opportunities. Capitalism sucks as an economic system in so many awful ways. Game the system when you can.

Rish:

There is a palpable sense out there, regardless of what Keir Starmer might want to say because he’s always keen to talk down Britain, I can tell actually on the ground people are, since the beginning of this year, feeling that the economy has turned the corner.

They do see those green shoots. They can see that things are getting better. Inflation has been more than halved, mortgage rates starting to come down, wages have been rising for six, seven months in a row now.

How about fuck off you clueless little cunt.

Those statements just on face value:

Inflation - prices are still going up then aren't they.
Mortgages - the base rate is still the same.
Wages - they're not increasing at anywhere near the same rate as inflation.

Also, we're officially in a recession aren't we?

It's just bollocks.

Recent data on the pay increases have shown that they are higher than inflation but that's only if you've had one. I would imagine that certain sectors are having to pay more due to recruitment / retainment issues so it doesn't mean that we've all had one.

The wages have been rising for six months in a row comment is bollocks as who gets monthly increases. It's all relative though...

Mortgage rates (went up this week) are still double/treble than what they were when the master forecaster of such things on here remortgaged.
Wages may be higher than inflation now but go back over a 3 year period and I'll almost guarantee that they haven't kept pace.
Energy costs are falling but are still double what they were.
Prices are still rising at over double the amount that they want.

petrol prices seem to have increased too recently?
as @Sniffer says, mortgage rates are increasing.
I don't know anyone who is looking ahead at the economy thinking anything is improving for them.

joseph rowntree foundation published a great pre budget report.
it suggests that approx 75% of respondents are worried about funding for essential services, such as the nhs.
no majority hoping for tax cuts on earnings in the budget.
the report suggests hunt has negligible wiggle room, and infers any tax cts will be ideologically motivated, rather than based on economics.
The report also calls out the government for how harsh the cost of living situ is impacting poorer people, especially the working poor.

joseph rowntree foundation published a great pre budget report.
it suggests that approx 75% of respondents are worried about funding for essential services, such as the nhs.
no majority hoping for tax cuts on earnings in the budget.
the report suggests hunt has negligible wiggle room, and infers any tax cts will be ideologically motivated, rather than based on economics.
The report also calls out the government for how harsh the cost of living situ is impacting poorer people, especially the working poor.
If there is any room for tax cuts (I don't think there is or that's its sensible) surely to help the poorest end of society it has to go on personal allowances?

Energy prices going down! Just got this from octopus

1710491346735.png

Standing charge going up though. They reckon I’ll save £100 in the year, yay I guess?

Octopus are actually charging below the standard standing charge.

The standing charge increase is meaning my electricity cost is going up. Bit of a joke really

If you can afford to, I would thoroughly recommend getting solar panels to offset the rising cost.
We have 7 on our roof and with the new micro-generation scheme here, we sell the power we dont use back to the grid.
We get a credit on each bill worth ~€50 in Winter and ~€100 in Summer. Last year, when the Government gave us 3 x €200 credit towards energy bills, we didnt pay a bill from March until Dec as we were in credit by hundreds.
I'll be getting additional panels in the next year or so.

No change on the base rate, despite the significant inflation rate drop.

Bastards.

Council tax bills in London compared to everywhere else always annoys me - have everything on your doorstep and the lions share of infrastructure projects awarded but pay less.

In London the average annual bill for a Band D property will be £1,422, an increase of 5% on 2023/24.

Metropolitan districts outside London will see an average annual increase of 5.4% to £1,837, while bills in unitary counties with no districts will rise 5% to £1,886.

Meanwhile, the average bill in other county areas will increase by 5% to £1,643, with districts in these areas adding an additional £266.

Back