• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cost of Living

I had a similar increase quote (%) earlier this year. With a bit of a search I got a similar policy for not much more than last years.

Managed to get £640 in the end.

A sign of a crazy world when you’re feeling relieved to find something that’s only a 33.33% increase for a policy that hasn’t changed one little bit. Madness.

£280 to £330 with mine, so not too much in the first place. But still 15% more for the same thing.

The govt not moving the income tax bandings for the last few years is leaving us all worse off, and putting dents in any pay rises anyone is lucky enough to receive.

£280 to £330 with mine, so not too much in the first place. But still 15% more for the same thing.

Y’know that’s a perfect example of what triggers me when politicians bang on about inflation and pay rises.

Pay rises are Gross, but increases on bills come out of our net. That 15% rise ain’t 15 bloody %, we’ve got to earn considerable more than 15% to net it to pay it.

Sorry, that’s not meant to be preachy and certainly not targeted at anyone individually, but it just winds me right up they never mention it when in reality most people are falling behind at an even faster rate than they want us to realise.

The govt not moving the income tax bandings for the last few years is leaving us all worse off, and putting dents in any pay rises anyone is lucky enough to receive.

Oh there are few similar areas where thresholds have been held and inflation has very conveniently tipped into higher taxation.

At least the extremes of the CoL are exposing everyone to the sly stealth taxes of the tories.

Some people are more able to ride those out than others of course but any wider realisation of what these crooks are up to is no bad thing.

That’s nothing new though,

Regular Latte is £1.40 at Subway. I'll stick with them whenever I'm in town.

I was in a cafe in Berwick last week and went for their very very very large Flat White, they call it a Walter White - £3.50

I drink loads (too much) off the stuff and do watch the prices and ask myself if I really want one or if it’s just habit when out.

At Victoria yesterday definitely wanted one for the ride home and deliberately went to the kiosk that was 30p cheaper than next door. Won’t make any difference but it felt sort of token protest vote all the same.

As for a fiver a coffee, depends. If you’re sat for half an hour in a nice chair, in the warm with really good coffee then maybe. To be honest that probably represents better value than £3.75 for some cack in a paper cup with a plastic lid.

Aaargh, flat whites shouldn't be large at all 😫
To be honest I was sold on the name...

I know what I drank was essentially a strong cappuccino but I am an easy target if you start putting names on products that get my attention

Come to think of it we have coffee stops on rides two or three times a week, cafes, garden centres etc.

The worst places are National Trust cafes. You won’t get any change out of a tenner for a coffee and a slice of cake in those places and they’re always packed. I’d rather go to ‘spoons.

McDonald's coffee isn't bad for what it is. I would never eat one of their totally shite breakfast offerings (done that once, not a mistake I'll be repeating, greasier than Lee Mills' barnet circa 1994) but I've gone into the Penn Road restaurant a few times before, grabbed a cheap coffee, availed myself of their free WiFi and done some work on my laptop if I'm out and about. Nice and quiet in there around 10am so you can concentrate and it's one of their less grim places, tends to be clean and tidy.

Yeah maccies coffee is alright. I'm a sucker for a weekly Starbucks when we go food shopping. The names make me laugh, they seem to get longer and longer.

I used to drink loads of Starbucks / Costa etc al coffee when I worked in Brum centre, it mounts up financially so only get a coffee when I'm having a chat with someone now.

Personally find Starbucks and Costa coffee and bit wishy washy, tend to try and get it from an independent providing it's not too expensive.

The Pret subscription at £20 a month was awesome. 5 free drinks a day. The missus has one and we used to share it, was brilliant.

It’s up to £30 now and in an attempt to stop the sharing each time you use it now you have to log in through the app.

The drinks list is extensive with coffees, chocolates and Pret coolers included. Not quite the giveaway it was before but 30 quid is what, 8 drinks.. 2 a week? Doesn’t take long to rack that up so in the right circumstances still a cracking deal.

Black coffee from Greggs this morning before the registry office £1.60. It was OK, but at that price I couldn’t give a shit.

Back