• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Councillor John Bird

GLASGOWOLF

You OK Hun?
Reaction score
Those of a certain age will remember this man and the part he played in the survival of Wolves during the 80's.
I met the man many times and he was a passionate councillor and resident of Wolverhampton.

With the new ground development in the pipeline and with him never being officially recognised I think it would be a fantastic honour to have part of the ground or something in the new ground to honour the man.

For those who don't know, he faced massive opposition to purchasing the ground for the council from within the council, his passion and dedication convinced other members of the council to agree to this.

I don't know how or what could be done but after last night I think its really important to recognise those people that were instrumental in ensuring Wolverhampton continues to have a Football team.
Is this something that could be mentioned at the FP?

Something I came across on FB the other day.
4aaf829548ac165d7a92fd974b4f477f.jpg

A 6ft priory table and six chairs for £200 are you mad ???

That priory table and chairs is second hand as well,says so just above it

John Bird saved Wolves at a point in our history, many wolves fans would not understand. Football was not the darling it is now, more the demon of the middle class

John Bird was on of the most important figures in our low time.
Every Wolves Fan owes him a debt of gratitude.
I just hope wolves could do something in his memory

John Bird saved Wolves at a point in our history, many wolves fans would not understand. Football was not the darling it is now, more the demon of the middle class
Thanks to a poster on this forum (and his lurking younger siblings), many of us on this forum fortunately do very much appreciate the significance of John Bird's contribution to the club and its history.

I appreciate that the wider fanbase (particularly of a certain age) may not be so well-informed and it's surprising that more isn't made of his role in and around the ground in terms of the history of the city, the council, and how his actions saved the club.

It would be nice to see some form of appreciation at the ground. Possibly the John Bird suites in corporate?

Michael Cooksey certainly seem to revel in his role as the Bhatties solicitor. I think a lot of the credit due to John Bird gets attributed to Jack Hayward, would be nice for some form of recognition to be made at the ground.

Cant remember writing the previous post, I was tired and emotional, 10pm on a friday night....

Oh and furniture and prices, I found a copy of wrens kitchen catalogue from the early 80s and it was comparable to today's pricing.

Michael Cooksey certainly seem to revel in his role as the Bhatties solicitor. I think a lot of the credit due to John Bird gets attributed to Jack Hayward, would be nice for some form of recognition to be made at the ground.

Cant remember writing the previous post, I was tired and emotional, 10pm on a friday night....

Oh and furniture and prices, I found a copy of wrens kitchen catalogue from the early 80s and it was comparable to today's pricing.

"Thumbs up if you love John Bird"...

It's been done before, but SJH gets unfair credit for saving the club. Naturally he deserves loads for the stadium rebuild

Back