• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Crystal Palace (A) build up

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungWolf

World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Yo
Reaction score
3 points would be massive for us but I’m just keen for us to stop what is quickly becoming a rot. That said, anything less than a win puts pressure on the Watford game who also will probably still be without a win

I think we will go back to the eleven of the second half of last season, but I’m not sure that solves our problem in the middle. We vacate so much space in the middle of the pitch and it makes us very easy to defend against.

I’d be tempted to play Jota behind the two strikers as that is the only time I have felt we have looked like playing through teams. Playing with two central midfielders (Joao and Rúben) would force them to not sit so deep too and they don’t tend try to dominate possession in those areas either. Not sure that will be Nuno’s idea to start the game with though

MGW in a 10 type role as per the Chelsea game for me, that will hopefully bring Neves more into CM. Donk to drop out as he is not in form. Not sure about 2 games so quickly for Doc, he looked knackered after 65 mins yesterday. I'd be tempted to move Jonny to the right (will improve that side defensively too) and start Vinagre.

I think Doc will play and then gets a week until his next game.

The thought of Traore against Zaha worries me a lot. The thought of whoever plays RCB against him is already worrying me.

Jonny would be ideal against Zaha. I'd have to go for Bennett at RCB in this case, though we lose so much (as seen last night) by having a player who can only pass it diagonally backwards.

Jonny on the right for Zaha, Vinagre on the left to attack Ward who's not the quickest.

I doubt Nuno will overthink it though, and just go for his strongest back five again.

Johnny won't play on the right.

PATRICIO

BENNETT COADY BOLY

DOHERTY SAISS NEVES MOUTINHO JOHNNY

JIMENEZ JOTA

Back to most of the trusted from last season just give Dendoncker a break.

Pack this 3-1-4-2 nonsense in and stop being so conservative as it isn't helping.

I'd go:

Patricio

Bennett--Coady--Boly

Doc--Neves--Moutinho--Jonny

Jota

Raul--Cutrone​

Let Jota roam around free. MGW would be another option in this position and if we wanted to go a bit more defenisve we could have Jota up front and MGW in behind.

We need to be far more on the front foot here as we need a good performance first. I'd rather we had a good performance and a draw than play utter shite and win, as counterintuitive as that is, as at least a good performance shows progress and you can build on that, you can't go around waiting for shitty wins to get you through a season.

Didn't we play 3-1-4-2 for our most successful period last season?

I thought so. Maybe no that attacking but last night you could see Braga were worried by Jota but still had to take care of Cutrone and Raul. Chelsea was the same.

I'd want Neto available off the bench so he and Jota could run at what is a fairly static Palace defence.

FWIW I'd got similar:

Rui
Bennett - Coady - Boly
Jonny - Neves - Moutinho - Vinagre
MGW
Jota - Raul

Adama off the bench if we want to target a static defence..

I'd go:

Patricio

Bennett--Coady--Boly

Doc--Neves--Moutinho--Jonny

Jota

Raul--Cutrone​

I like the look of this. Would be good to give teams something to think about again. The switch to 3-5-2 last season stemmed people flooding our two midfielders, maybe a switch back to a tweaked 3-4-3 again might shake us up

Really like the idea of Jota behind the front two, but not sure Nuno will try it from the start. We really need a clean sheet and Dendoncker provides more defensively. Having said that, it is at Palace where not many goals are conceded by any team, so I can see us finishing the game with that formation.

Traore for me. Like a few people, I didn't think Doc looked fit on Thursday. Zaha might have a field day. He'll definitely have a field day if Doc's not fit

Traore for me. Like a few people, I didn't think Doc looked fit on Thursday. Zaha might have a field day. He'll definitely have a field day if Doc's not fit

I think he'll have a field day if Traore tries to mark him as well, unless someone like Saiss can help him out.

Zaha's quite a talented individual.

-----------------Patricio-------------
Doherty---Bennett---Boly-----Jonny
------------Neves------Saiss------
-----------------Moutinho----------
Traore-------- Raul--------Jota

-----------------Patricio-------------
Doherty---Bennett---Boly-----Jonny
------------Neves------Saiss------
-----------------Moutinho----------
Traore-------- Raul--------Jota

Cannot see Nuno changing from a back 3 or dropping Coady at this time.

Plus Doherty has only been good when he wasn't being played as a full back in a back 4!

Cannot see Nuno changing from a back 3 or dropping Coady at this time.

Plus Doherty has only been good when he wasn't being played as a full back in a back 4!
Neither can I, but even before you consider his form, Coady is pointless with how deep Neves is playing. If he's going to sit just in front of the centre halves then you may as well utilise another player higher up the pitch. Agree the right side of defence looks weak, but the payback is you get Traore out there without the burden of too much defensively

Neither can I, but even before you consider his form, Coady is pointless with how deep Neves is playing. If he's going to sit just in front of the centre halves then you may as well utilise another player higher up the pitch. Agree the right side of defence looks weak, but the payback is you get Traore out there without the burden of too much defensively

Don't disagree with that - then again Neves really shoudn't be there

Rui
Bennett coady Boly
Traore donk Neves mountinho Jonny
Raul Jota

Palace are slow at the back. Traore could have a blinder. I think we win 3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back