• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ever changing face of Wolves

Walking through Queens Square yesterday, noticed that at least half the shops/banks/retail units are closed and empty. Don't think I've ever seen it that bad, & they're prime locations. It's a terrible look for the centre.

Should convert them to pubs for matchday...

We've put 10k on the average gate in the last 6-7 years but have fewer pubs now than we had then. Combine that with the rugby being on post-match and everywhere was teeming.

Realistically it's only the football club which is propping up the city centre.

Should convert them to pubs for matchday...

We've put 10k on the average gate in the last 6-7 years but have fewer pubs now than we had then. Combine that with the rugby being on post-match and everywhere was teeming.

Realistically it's only the football club which is propping up the city centre.

There is still too much reliance on retail to drive footfall…there will always be somewhere better within easy distance or online - both of which better options than Wolverhampton. It’s time to level these “second cities” and covert them into purely centres of leisure with a couple of supermarkets. If you were inventing Wolverhampton in the 21st Century it would look nothing like it does now.

Level the City Centre…put the football club in the middle and develop outwards from there.

Yep. We live walking distance from the city centre. Or a 10 minute drive.

Unless it's something really urgent, if we need to go shopping then we would go to Birmingham or Merry Hill. If we want to go for something to eat and drink we would head out towards Shropshire, it's not far and quite obviously miles nicer.

But if you had quality bars and restaurants we would go. Home by 10pm though as I'm getting old.

I was being flippant :)

But there is the market for good quality places. We just don't have many/any.

Getting more residential in the centre might help, people living there will use local restaurants, smaller supermarkets ( Tesco metros, or that Sainsbury’s by the railway station) then that might bring in more varied stores like grocers and new pubs.
The civic being open again, might help when it’s properly re established.
L
We’ll have to see what happens when Beatties turns into those 300 or so flats it’s going to be

I'm in Wolverhampton a couple of weekday evenings a month and it's definitely a ghost town on those nights. There is always pretty much at least one nutter walking the streets off their faces on something though (and no it's not me).

I suppose Bruno Lage has got nothing better to do at the moment.

Reminds me, I should ring up the Home Office and get him deported as a non-UK national on a work visa who isn't working. Finally a Brexit benefit.

I doubt many business are gonna move to Wolvo until all of the redevelopment work has finished. It's a bit of a building site all throughout the centre at the moment.
Hopefully there are some follow-on plans from the council to do something with the place once that's all completed.

But yeah, the city is crying out for good pubs. Use Bham as an example. Tons of great places to eat and drink with more opening all the time.

However, Digbeth is heading back down the pan due to the incomplete HS2 and metro works blighting the place. Which takes us back around to the state of Wolves IMO

Spent a fair bit of time in Digbeth last year getting my CSCS card. Its...interesting.

First time I've ever heard 45 minutes be considered 'a fair bit of time'.
You really are a colossal fucking prick aren't you? For the record I did the test in 8 minutes and got 100% fuckhead. But in order to get the test for free I had to attend the whole course over several days.

Last edited:
Because you are an arrogant twat who pollutes a forum about a team you dont even like just to try and and get cheap hits like the friendless never-laid pathetic waste of skin you are.

Back