• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ever changing face of Wolves

Bushbury - Northicote School now totally flattened, King Charles now houses, kids nursery on Cromwell Road now a Church of some sort. The Woodbine a xxxxing mess

I grew up in Bushbury. My three local pubs were the infamous "axis of evil", The Butlers Arms, The Woodbine and the Three Tuns. The Tuns is a Chinese now, I think, but the Butlers Arms is long gone. A supermarket now stands on the site of The Butlers and strangely despite the pubs well deserved reputation for mindless violence there have been more shootings and stabbings in the supermarket than there ever was in the Butlers.

There was also The Staffordshire Volunteer as well, now another supermarket. My old infant school is still there though!

Was in town last weekend and noticed the KFC was closed with the windows whitewashed. Papers are now picking up on this.
The 2 nationwide building remain empty, and another shop is empty, making queens square look pretty poor.
The downstairs of the mander centre is almost completely vacant which is worrying, though a wilko's will open soon.
The town centre has become a strange place...

Nationwide was being used as a large scale cannabis factory (after Nationwide closed down!)

I grew up in Bushbury. My three local pubs were the infamous "axis of evil", The Butlers Arms, The Woodbine and the Three Tuns. The Tuns is a Chinese now, I think, but the Butlers Arms is long gone. A supermarket now stands on the site of The Butlers and strangely despite the pubs well deserved reputation for mindless violence there have been more shootings and stabbings in the supermarket than there ever was in the Butlers.

There was also The Staffordshire Volunteer as well, now another supermarket. My old infant school is still there though!

The Tuns is the Ming Moon.

The Woodbine is a delapidated wreck being allowed to just fall down.

The Volunteer becoming a supermarket probably isn't such a bad thing as that was rough as a badgers arse as well.

Sadly the Pendulum in Pendeford is still a pub. Fucking abomination of a place.

What was the pub just off the island on Primrose Lane? Think it’s houses now.

I'd have to ask Squeeze as she grew up on Bushbury Hill (think it was Chartwell Drive) so would have been just round the corner from that place.

What was the pub just off the island on Primrose Lane? Think it’s houses now.

Think you mean the Highcroft, a nursing home there now. Was a wehtherspoons for a while way back, pound a pint caused all sorts of trouble around there.

Last edited:
You took a left at the island on Primrose Lane just before Legs Lane if you were coming from Elston Hall/Tuns end.

Rings a bell. Used to drink in there on my lunch breaks when I worked at Maygay.

Think you may be thinking of the King Charles on Cromwell Road as Primrose lane is just before the scotlands.

So as you're heading north up the Stafford Rd the Ming Moon is on the left by the roundabout. If you turn right at that roundabout, which pub was up there? Is that the Woodbine?

Micro and Mini went to Kindergarten just down from there.

Time flies...

They were quite tiny then. They certainly aren't now!

Rings a bell. Used to drink in there on my lunch breaks when I worked at Maygay.

I did summer work for Maygay but chucked it in after 2 weeks as the machine carcasses were slicing my arms something rotten when putting the new guts in.

So as you're heading north up the Stafford Rd the Ming Moon is on the left by the roundabout. If you turn right at that roundabout, which pub was up there? Is that the Woodbine?

Arrr

Just under the railway bridge. White facade. Falling to pieces now.

The talisman in under hill is being demolished as well,another hole of a pub

The talisman in under hill is being demolished as well,another hole of a pub

That would be not a sad loss. Quite the most unsavoury reputation of just about any pub in Wolverhampton, and by the look of it richly deserved.

Think you may be thinking of the King Charles on Cromwell Road as Primrose lane is just before the scotlands.

It was the King Charles on Cromwell Road you're right. It was Primrose Avenue it was off, not Primrose Lane. The other side of the island turned into Legs Lane.

That would be not a sad loss. Quite the most unsavoury reputation of just about any pub in Wolverhampton, and by the look of it richly deserved.

It's been shut for months now, surprisingly enough got shut down for drug dealing. Go past it every day, have been for probably 16 years or so, and never once was tempted to go in.

Used to play football against Staffs Vol, massive bunch of cunts, even the women that came along to watch them were more fearsome than any other team in the league.

It's been shut for months now, surprisingly enough got shut down for drug dealing. Go past it every day, have been for probably 16 years or so, and never once was tempted to go in.

It's been my local (nearest pub) for the last 20 plus years. Not once have I ever stepped over the threshold, not that I frequent pubs very often in any case.

Back