• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ever changing face of Wolves

Will it tell the story of how 1 customer arrived on the day the Spoons in Wolverhampton opened and is still waiting to be served?

You can get served quickly - I've seen it done at 9.00 am on a Sunday when I've had to go in there in to get a breakfast

As to it's derelict status then I have been in worse when I worked in Bermondsey & Peckham (though still got served quicker!)

And yes, I agree with absolutely everything you say about it's credentials as a pub. But you know £2.50 a pint so it must be good, right.

Really they are doing their part in combating excessive alcohol consumption in their inability to serve anyone promptly - this is a benefit to society!

I hope they sort it out. Then that can become the main hub on a matchday (because it's cheap) and it means all the actual decent pubs will be quieter. At the moment its numbers must be way down as everyone realises that there is absolutely no point in going there, which makes everywhere else 10-20% busier.

I'm guessing there'll be exhibits showing piss heads smelling of stale beer,sweat and fags outside a spoons smoking and shouting racists abuse at forriners at 9am on a week day,or maybe an interactive thing where you can pretend to be the above

The weird thing is you CAN make a Wetherspoons acceptable. St Matthews Hall in Walsall is a very decent version of the concept, and you can get served pretty quickly. Yes it is still a bit rough and ready around the edges but it does the job. The Moon Under Water is quite simply one of the most appalling pub experiences I have known. Only the Springbok and the Railway Tavern we went in on the way to Southend stand out as both being worse, and they both would have been a perfect fit as the favoured drinking hole in Beirut circa 1985.

The Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis which I was in before the cup game at Southampton last year was perfectly acceptable (if in no way outstanding)

A Wetherspoons that served reasonably, was cheap & clean

We have one here called The Lord Burton which is half decent too. Good size, plenty of booths and a nice beer garden.

Commercial Rooms in Bristol is decent enough if you don't go on a Friday/Saturday evening. Good drinks selection in a magnificent building.

Ritzy in Lincoln high street is great,good choice of beers,foods alright,great range of books in it,no TV and low background music,nice place to people watch,the rear of Aberystwyth spoons is on the railway platform only downside is the occasional pigeon shit in your pint if you're unlucky

Easiest way to get served in Wetherspoons is with the app. Don’t even have to leave your seat or take your wallet out your pocket. Quick service delivered straight to your table

No one in their right mind is trusting the idiots employed by the Moon to sort that out properly.

I mean they're chronically understaffed (permanently, and deliberately) but they also seem to pick the worst people in the world. So bad at managing a queue, this is not hard stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47307865
Interesting in that it reflects some of the discussion earlier in the thread (rather than about brexitspoons pubs).

Although I am surprised that the select committee seem to have little foresight. They seem to want to preserve town centres, rather than change with the times. I thought the notion put forward by someone earlier in the thread to adapt old offices and convert them to city centre living instead was a good idea. Creating living areas doesn't seem to have been considered by these MPs.

Seems the Cuban has closed and is being totally gutted, a proper start again job. Won't miss the original...

Used to be class when it was the Exchange. Got absolutely fucked in there countless times.

The Cuban was just shit from day one.

Yeah, used to get hammered before gigs at the Wulfrun.

Was in town last weekend and noticed the KFC was closed with the windows whitewashed. Papers are now picking up on this.
The 2 nationwide building remain empty, and another shop is empty, making queens square look pretty poor.
The downstairs of the mander centre is almost completely vacant which is worrying, though a wilko's will open soon.
The town centre has become a strange place...

The Mander Centre still looks like a massive pound shop, the shops in it are shit and it’s always empty. Queen Street and Queen’s Square have been getting worse for years and the rest of town is just a shithole. I completely understand that online shopping is having a massive effect but it really does seem like nobody gives a shit about the town centre any more.

Back