• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 0-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Couldn’t watch yesterday as was out celebrating another trip around the sun with the family - but I’m about to sit down and watch the full re-run shortly.

One thing I have found quite interesting, Marcal appears to be getting praised for a top performance yesterday with a lot of our fans on social media, but that generally goes against the grain on here? Some suggesting he just gets stick because “he isn’t RAN”. Was he decent yesterday then?

Couldn’t watch yesterday as was out celebrating another trip around the sun with the family - but I’m about to sit down and watch the full re-run shortly.

One thing I have found quite interesting, Marcal appears to be getting praised for a top performance yesterday with a lot of our fans on social media, but that generally goes against the grain on here? Some suggesting he just gets stick because “he isn’t RAN”. Was he decent yesterday then?
No idea who you follow or what they were watching.

Ok, well every single attack that went his way broke down within seconds. Gave away his usual share of stupid free kicks in the first half. Can't really praise his defending because he didn't have to do any. Thumped the ball straight out of play under no pressure more than once. Got outpaced by 52 year old Seamus Coleman at one point, with a two yard headstart.

He's a really bad footballer, no justification for him ever playing unless we have absolutely no-one else.

Marcel wasnt terrible yesterday because he really didnt have much to worry him in a sense, however what he doesnt do that RAN and Jonny did yesterday is attack the fullback and take them on. Jonny did yesterday and RAN does it majority of the time.

I read I think from Kenny on Saturday and I agree that RAN needs Ryan Giles in tow next season, if Bruno is alternating constantly then Giles needs to be competing with RAN for that spot next season not Marcal..

Ok, well every single attack that went his way broke down within seconds. Gave away his usual share of stupid free kicks in the first half. Can't really praise his defending because he didn't have to do any. Thumped the ball straight out of play under no pressure more than once. Got outpaced by 52 year old Seamus Coleman at one point, with a two yard headstart.

He's a really bad footballer, no justification for him ever playing unless we have absolutely no-one else.
Always going to be a difference of opinion when it comes to some players, but I have to say this forum is the only place I’ve seen Marcal being actively criticised for his performance this weekend and it’s generally the same few posters that are doing it (you & Johnny to name a couple).

I’m about 15 minutes in to watching the re-run so I’ll watch him closely to see who’s being fair! ;) He’s just been wiped out with an elbow to the head…

edit; just to be fair, I prefer RAN every day of the week.

Only Hwang got a worse mark from Little Liam, Saiss got the same

Fernando Marcal - 7​

A poor first half saw Marcal struggle positionally and fail to find space in the final third. He improved as the game progressed.

So a poor first half is ignored in Liam's score as the game was won.

If a poor first half would have a score of 5, he'd have to have had a 9 for the second half to justify a 7.

On an unrelated topic, Boly and kilman as the two CBs in a back 4? Could that work?

Good day yesterday.

Was a little bit dissapointed by the line-up. Looked like he was playing for a 0-0, which was exactly how it played out first half. Was a rubbish game first half, because of our negativity and they are just shit.

Second half was completely different, got the early goal and then we totally bossed it and kept the ball so well. Was a comfortable win really as we controlled the game with the ball and they just had nothing to offer. Had no idea what their game plan was, they are bang in trouble.

Didn’t really trouble Pickford, but you could argue we didn’t need to. Trincao should hit the target, if he does he probably scores, Podence should have passed it to one of the 3 people queuing up to his right but shot tamely and Marcal tried some early whipped crosses which he got wrong but was right idea. He was fine yesterday but he wasn’t excellent but neither was he shit. Jonny was class though really surprising me how good he’s been in attacking areas, and Neves ran the show.

And that cross from Neves and header from Coady are fantastic. Mental how we never sent him up for corners before when he’s actually got a knack of being in the right place for rebounds and second balls and that’s a few really good headers he’s scored now too.

Marcal was in general, fine. However, he's never going to be as good as RAN or Jonny. And the manager can't play him with the excuse that he's a better defender than RAN because as those RAN stats the other week showed, he's not.

Marcal is a lot like Dendoncker for me. I don't worry about him costing us anything (not since that stupid pen he gave away, at least), but he's not going to offer much more.

I still think he is one of the best crossers we have, he just never gets in a position to make use of that. Put in an early cross in the first half yesterday that was lovely but no one was there to meet it.

Marcel wasnt terrible yesterday ...however what he doesnt do that RAN and Jonny did...is attack the fullback and take them on.

I think these points highlight the issue. Most games Jonny has generally been considered the less attacking side of the field and was praised for being a LB that could do a decent job of a LWB in our system (while excelling at defensive duties).

And yet even with that context, Marcal in comparison makes him look like Marcelo.

Last edited:
Grand Old Team is glorious just now. I don't think they have the first clue how brutal the fire sale will be if they drop.

Grand Old Team is glorious just now. I don't think they have the first clue how brutal the fire sale will be if they drop.
Not very, who’s going to want that dross? A couple will fetch a bit but really their squad is generally shit.

They’ll fetch £60m for DCL and Richarlison. Someone would buy Pickford. Rest either old or shit

Back