• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton 1-3 Wolves: The Verdict

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Well that was alright, wasn't it?

They had the threat of Sig from set pieces (he wasn't very good off them today, but it's always a danger) and nothing else. We bossed the game. 3-1 and it could have been a lot more than that. Unfazed by the loss of Neves, we still controlled it. Let Everton have it when they're just knocking it around aimlessly and then pounce.

Dendoncker MOTM. Mops up so much in midfield, cracking finish and could have had another first half. Looks a really good player. Doc and Jota close on that front, both excellent, no-one had a bad game (in fact Costa looked decent when he came on which was nice to see).

What a team. What a team. Enjoy it.

I am ecstatic about this season.

We just absolutely schooled Everton (the ultimate established top flight side that aren't Sky Six) at their own gaff.

We are the REAL DEAL.

This is an unbelievable season - I was around during the 70's when we were quite good, but it's not as good as now (that may be due to memory failure to some degree though)

Had to rely on the commentary so not sure how accurate that is, but that appeared to be a dominant performance against a decent team away that we have not beaten for a fair few years

First win at goodison for 40 years,this premier league footballs dead easy isn't it

We were dangerous in attack all game, once we scored our third we managed the game really well

1st half was a bit frantic and with lots of attacking play from both sides and some scrappy football in midfield. 2nd half was complete control by Wolves. Dendoncker was superb and edges MOTM, just ahead of Moutinho, Jota, Coady and Doherty. Quality performance full of composure, class and clinical finishing. We are racking up some really good performances since the new year. We are only getting better. Be nice for a couple of the top 6 to slip up because I think we really are the best of the rest.

Cav must be fucking fuming.

Great match from start to finish (even the black cat was amusing for a couple of minutes). Now 4 winnable games coming up and we need to keep focused and take at least 9 points.

Neves might be a precaution, he was on the pitch at the end of the game in training gear. Doesn't look serious at all or they wouldn't have him bearing weight on it.

Fabulous performance. Jota and Jiminez are getting better, Jonny is sensational. Delighted with/for Donck he's been excellent and grasped his chance when it came around.

I'm running out of words for Moutinho. At 32 he's the best player I've ever seen play for Wolves. Hes a monster.

4 against Leicester

3 against West Ham - could've been 6

3 against Everton - could've been 4 or 5

Safe to say the changes have worked and then some

Before I forget (because it is easy to forget) - hope Neves is ok. Not sure what happened, looked like his calf. More than a week before Newcastle and we know how good our medical team is, so fingers crossed.

As I mentioned in the match thread I was a bit nervy throughout this one, purely based on history - we've not had the rub of the green at Goodison for as long as I remember. But we didn't need it, we outplayed them. The comms I had (Rob Palmer and Keith Andrews) said more than once that as much as today was about how poor Everton were, they should really not forget how well we played. We're probably going to have that for the rest of this season, I think....whenever we win against a 'bigger' team it'll never be about how good we were, it'll be how bad they were to have allowed us to win. But we took the points from Everton today and then some.

Doc did terrific for the first and was solid all game - Richarlison gave us a torrid time from that same spot in the opener but he was quiet today. Donck helped - his work on that side to help out and close gaps is helping massively. Back 3 were solid, Bennett prob pick of the bunch for me as Boly had a couple moments and Coady might've been lucky to avoid a 2nd yellow. They both made terrific blocks in the 2nd half though (painfully, in Boly's case)

Jonny got forward pretty well, again, which is looking encouraging. Did well to get out of the way for Donck's volley, tbh.

Donck was excellent and probably MOTM for me, he was everywhere and did a little bit of everything. And, obviously, a 1st goal for the lad. Don't think it'll be the last either.

Mou was also very good, great free kick for the 2nd and another assist.

Front two were both terrific, ridiculous amount of energy and work between them. Jota's strength is ridiculous, he was holding off Zouma like it was nothing. Probably deserved a goal for his efforts but I'm sure he won't mind. Another for Raul and every week that goes by the option price we've got looks a better and better deal.

I've been ill this week with a throat infection and pretty fed up tbh. But that's cheered me up no end.

Unbelievable just how good we look at the moment. Proper contenders in every game other than maybe the top 2.

A commanding performance again today against another team who look like they can't be arsed to fight for each other, just like West Ham did. They created the square root of fuck all other than the one move for their goal which was a neat turn from Tosun, and a good run and superb finish from Gomes. Boly at fault for that one who started the game a little rusty IMO. They were lucky to go in only one goal behind after chances for Jota and Donk.

Neves going off seemed to stifle our midfield and ambition for a short while but we soon took back control of the game and should have punished them more on the break if Jota and Jimenez were a bit more ruthless. We saw out the game with no problems though.

Someone said the cat spent more time in our box than Everton did, which sums up their day.

That's 6 goals in two games against fellow mid-table opposition. And could have easily been 9-10 goals in reality. All whilst retaining our solid defence. Brilliant stuff.

Nuno's switch from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 really has been a masterstroke (can someone remind me which game he changed it please?). If we end the season in 7th then he has to be on the shortlist for Manager Of The Season. Not to win it, but just to acknowledge what a job he has done here.

Oh and Jota my MOTM. Just terrorised their back line dropping into space between the lines and charging at their defence. Constantly fouled but just keeps going and going. His partnership with Jimenez is one of the best forward lines in the league.

Nuno's switch from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 really has been a masterstroke (can someone remind me which game he changed it please?).

Chelsea sort of (MGW as a false nine dropping into midfield) but we've done it permanently since Jota came back from injury against Liverpool in the cup.

Obvious, innit?

He's inexplicably fifth choice forward and hasn't got a move this past window but doesn't seem to be an option for Nuno unless something goes completely bonkers.

Frankly, I'd be pissed.

There is a post on here somewhere of me moaning about the money wasted on Traore and Dendoncker. I now love one of them.

Chelsea sort of (MGW as a false nine dropping into midfield) but we've done it permanently since Jota came back from injury against Liverpool in the cup.
Cheers blud.

Obvious, innit?

He's inexplicably fifth choice forward and hasn't got a move this past window but doesn't seem to be an option for Nuno unless something goes completely bonkers.

Frankly, I'd be pissed.

He was first choice sub forward on Tuesday.

Obvious, innit?

Frankly, I'd be pissed.

That's your takeaway from that game? Really?

Besides which Traore got 90 seconds plus injury time today, the same as Cav got on Tuesday.

That's your takeaway from that game? Really?

Besides which Traore got 90 seconds plus injury time today, the same as Cav got on Tuesday.
It is A takeaway, clearly not the only one.

Haven't been able to get home to watch highlights yet.

Back