• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Football Support and Matchday Habits

If Charlotte had a team in the NASL or MLS then this would have been a non-issue; I'd have supported them from the start. As it is, the closest we've got is the Carolina Railhawks and they're based out of Raleigh (not nearly the same).

So when I chose to root for (again, not fully support) Chicago it was on almost entirely arbitrary grounds. Even if they were wholly successful I'd still likely give more of my time to a Charlotte based team should one begin to exist.

If Charlotte had a team in the NASL or MLS then this would have been a non-issue; I'd have supported them from the start. As it is, the closest we've got is the Carolina Railhawks and they're based out of Raleigh (not nearly the same).

So when I chose to root for (again, not fully support) Chicago it was on almost entirely arbitrary grounds. Even if they were wholly successful I'd still likely give more of my time to a Charlotte based team should one begin to exist.

You'd be surprised how many people from Wolverhampton support other clubs.

Fair enough, it just seem pointless supporting anyone.

Does the same happen in other sports in the US, supporting wise?

We're not fickle with our alliances once formed but typically there has to be an emotional connection and this usually comes down to geographic proximity or family heritage. I wouldn't dream of turning my back on the New Orleans Saints as my father has always been a Saints guy and lived in New Orleans when he was young. I support the Charlotte Hornets because I love the city of Charlotte. Etc etc.

It's not as if all Americans wake up each season and pin the tail on the franchise they'll pull for that year.

Ex-Wolf Watch

And to go back to the only franchise in English football (and may they sink to Sunday League levels ASAP), theoretically Milton Keynes has a massive catchment area for a football club. However their gates are piss as every sod who lives there already supported someone else before they stole a club.

Like I say, cultural.

Yeah, they will attract more fans if they become a bit more successful (younger people most likely), and you can see why they have had some decent young players come through recently.

And to go back to the only franchise in English football (and may they sink to Sunday League levels ASAP), theoretically Milton Keynes has a massive catchment area for a football club. However their gates are piss as every sod who lives there already supported someone else before they stole a club.

Like I say, cultural.

You'd probably find the Baltimore Colts episode interesting. Google it if you have a chance.

The only thing I like from America is the Florida Gators cuz there baseball hat looks ace innit. :)

Oakland Athletics, MLB.

You'd probably find the Baltimore Colts episode interesting. Google it if you have a chance.

Just read the Wiki on it. Strikes me as a story involving people who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Sport is not something to be viewed in purely capitalist terms. We have enough dystopian neocon nonsense in our lives already.

I don't disagree, but such is the way of things.

AlanAKAMark?

My admiration/interest in teams is far more transient than what town/city they happen to be playing in or allied to, you start churning out shit football and this boy is out.

How come you didn't scarper 2 years ago? :D

How come you didn't scarper 2 years ago? :D

I lost most of my interest a lot longer ago than that to be fair, gives me something to read though keeping up with comings and goings, maybe one day i'll actually be drawn into regular attendance again if the football turns more to my liking.

I lost most of my interest a lot longer ago than that to be fair, gives me something to read though keeping up with comings and goings, maybe one day i'll actually be drawn into regular attendance again if the football turns more to my liking.

So really you do support Wolves, but aren't prepared to go until the football is to your liking, which is fair enough.

So really you do support Wolves, but aren't prepared to go until the football is to your liking, which is fair enough.

I wouldn't say i support them, i have no real care either way whether they win, lose or drop out of existence tomorrow, all it'd mean to me is that i'd find something else to read about to kill time. If the football did turn to my liking then i may return to regular attendance, depending on finances, time, whatever else but i still don't think i'd be that bothered about results, i'd just want to see some entertaining football.

I suppose i follow Wolves rather than support them, old habits die hard and all that.

At the risk of being massively insulting; you remind me of a mature student I knew at university who'd taken way too much drugs and then stopped - he didn't really have any feelings either way about most things, was just in the middle with no highs or lows

Back