• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Forest 0 - Wolves 2 a welcome relief from the recent games verdict thread

I think now, whoever the manager is, what we need to see between now and the end of the season is gradual improvement both in terms of results and performances. We need to see that there is a plan going forward and that with the right players, the system can have us challenging next season.

Chris Iwelumo and Mickey Gray on footy on 5........talking sense so far, better than the usual numpteys

I think now, whoever the manager is, what we need to see between now and the end of the season is gradual improvement both in terms of results and performances. We need to see that there is a plan going forward and that with the right players, the system can have us challenging next season.

Agreed, build confidence, give some younger players game time, build a system of playing and get used to it, identify transfer targets and then smash it next season. I see January's window as a pre transfer window for next season and the rest of this as a kind of pre-pre season.

Bit harsh on their keeper, doesn't do justice to either Costa or Cav. Most players wouldn't shoot from where Costa is, the keeper isn't going to expect that and he can't react. Same for the second goal, Cav's body shape looks like he is going the other post - they were two very good finishes from players who can do something unexpected.

More experienced back four. Clean sheet.

Spot on tsb.

Tim's options for MOTM Costa and Edwards...whens the wedding?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

He is saying that Price must have a run in the team too. Not a Saiss fan clearly

Edwards had a good game yesterday, but not a motm performance!

Price was excellent yesterday, he played better than I've seen Saiss play so far.

A really professional performance yesterday, Forest are in a bad way but you still have to beat what's put in front of you. There was none of the naivety or lack of game management that has been a hallmark of our season so far, for the first time in a long time we looked like a well organised, well drilled football team. The back 4 were solid, had good protection in front of them meaning that they weren't overrun, the front 4 were fluid, dynamic and clinical and once the second goal went in we killed he game by keeping possession and pressing a demoralised Forest side high up the pitch rather than sit back inside our own box and wait for the inevitable late comeback. The selection was bang on, the subs were the right ones at the right times and individually there wasn't a single player wearing old gold and black who you could say had a poor game. Nice to walk away from a game and have several options to award our MOTM, could've been any one of Edwards, Price, Cavaleiro or Costa.

The first 30 minutes were a bit of a non-event, neither team managed to register a shot on target and Wolves, while dominating possession, struggled to open up a home side that looked happy to play for a point from the off. The way the game was set up it was only a matter of time before one of our front 4 got a chance to score though and after good work by Cavaleiro, Costa ran into the box and fired high into the roof of the net from a tight angle. Forest flew out of the traps second half but their fight back never really got going and 5-10 minutes later Wolves were back in control of midfield and creating chances. The second goal was a lovely move and totally deserved, Edwards wining the ball back, giving it to Helder, little one-two on the edge of the area and rolled into the path of Cavaleiro who passed it in from 18 yards, a top finish even if the keeper looked a little flat footed. That sparked wild celebrations in the away end but the players didn't let it affect them, Saiss had come on for a limping Enobakhare ten minutes earlier to shore us up in midfield and after the goal Lambert brought on Bodvarsson and Ronan for Dicko and Costa to add fresh legs up front. Some of the interplay between Ronan, Saiss, Doherty and Cavaleiro in the final stages was great to see as they passed the ball with ease around the lagging home team.

Thought the fans were excellent as well, really loud and varied chanting, pretty chuffed to have started the Helder Costa chant (A very hungover Aikiwolf and bro with the assist ;)). There was a quiet spell in the build up to Helder's goal as the first half was a bit of a slog but apart from that we were brilliant and the scenes at the final whistle were fantastic. This is what we want Paul, more like that please. I love Forest away, decent city (although we only stayed in the one pub this time), great away end for a sing song and Forest are always crud so usually a decent chance of us getting a result. Shame about the Newcastle fan shitting in the vestibule area on the train back up north, he did it just after York but even after the train guards cleaned it up you could smell it 2 carriages down all the way up to Edinburgh. Not the most enjoyable journey I've ever had.

Ikeme - 7 - Only really had one save to make which was straight at him but he claimed a lot of crosses well under pressure. There was one corner/free kick that he dropped but he reacted quickly to dive on top of the loose ball. Distribution was quite good today as well, nice and simple, not too much hoofing.

Coady - 6 - Straight off the bat I've got to say that he isn't a right back in a million years. He gets beaten far too easily one-on-one and seems very unsure of himself in possession, a lot of aimless balls over the top which Dicko never had a chance with. Price had to drift over to his side to cover for him in the first half which affected our shape. Much better in the second half though, won a few headers and pressed high up the pitch to force mistakes. Not a bad game at all and definitely an improvement on Iorfa in his current form but we need a better option than him here.

Batth - 7 - The majority of his defending was heading away their goal kicks. The big lump up top was no match for him and Forest never had anyone running from midfield to support him. Most of their attacks were stopped before they could really get going so he didn't have much to do.

Stearman - 7 - Same as Batth except he went on one mazy run in the second half where he was doing step overs and everything. Went absolutely mental when the 2nd goal went in.

Doherty - 7.5 - Wasn't troubled by their full back once and got forward well. One lovely little pass to send Ivan through after a weird pinball situation on the edge of their box.

Price - 8 MOTM - He dominated possession in the middle today and did so well to protect the back 4. He fully deserved his yellow though, really poor play and then lunged in to cynically take out their winger when he wasn't really in any danger at all. He was the key to the victory IMO, he's only young but yesterday he played like a seasoned pro. Organised everyone around him.

Edwards - 7.5 - Really decent performance from Dave, a bit anonymous in the first half but really came into his own once Saiss came on and he was given licence to push forward and put pressure on their defensive midfielders/centre backs. When he's playing DM he's not quite as effective IMO but still managed to put himself about a bit and didn't give their midfielders a moments peace. Decent foil for Price who was dictating play. Once Saiss came on and Eddo moved forward into Enobakhare's position he won the ball high up the pitch several times as Forest struggled to build attacks and started the move which Helder and Ivan finished off. Sorry to mention this and I haven't read many other reviews but I have seen Tim Speirs' take on the game and I found his over the top praise for Edwards bizarre, he even credits him with an assist for the second goal when it was clearly Helder Costa?!?!?! The very definition of someone seeing what they want to see.

Costa - 8 - Where would we be without this kid? A few quiet spells but when he gets a yard of space he has any full back in this league on toast. Great fun to watch him in full flow. Brilliant finish for the goal, not sure how he managed to squeeze it in.

Enobakhare - 7 - Played really well today, good strength, low centre of gravity, classy touch and lightning fast. With the front 4 pretty much rotating at will, Bright ended up in all four positions at least once and he can play all 4 of them well. The ref gave him absolutely nothing all game and I was convinced the foul on him in the second half was just inside the area.

Cavaleiro - 8 - We all said he needed a run of games to come good, lo and behold, a run of games and he's starting to come good. Quality today, lovely finish for the goal sending the keeper the other way with his eyes an then stroking it home and his bit of skill to go past the keeper after Doherty's through ball was almost amazing, just bobbled up at the wrong time. He was absolutely loving his chant and stayed back for ages to clap the fans off, give him some time and he could be a special player for us.

Dicko - 7 - Much more like the Dicko of old although he still never threatened their goal apart from one looping header and another challenge with the keeper which he nearly squeezed home. Full of running and snapping into challenges though which is great to see.

Saiss - 7 - Came on after Bright picked up a knock and slotted in beside Price well. It'd be hard to drop either of Edwards or Enobkhare after yesterday but I really liked what I saw of that defensive midfield pairing in the 30 minutes they were together, the whole team was improved by it, allowed Edwards to push on and do what he does best. Romain's passing is just like Jacko in that he already knows what he's going to do with the ball before he receives it. Almost played an amazing cross field ball to Cav reminiscent of his assist for Costa's goal vs QPR but their LB just got a head on it. He got absolutely clattered by a Forest player within about 30 seconds of coming on but just shook it off.

Bodvarsson - 7 - Only had 10 minutes when the game was already won but he did what he always does. Put himself about, kept the ball well and was generally a thorn in their side when they were trying to desperately fight their way back.

Ronan - 7 - Small but mighty. You could see he was pumped up for his first game, really zipped about the pitch trying to put pressure on their back 4 yet when he did receive the ball he was calm and his passing was crisp. I like the look of him, plays with his head up.

Fairly accurate report from Lycan, including the mention about my hangover 😷

I'd give Costa the motm due to the goal and the assist but the argument for Price is fairly strong. Lots of Forest fans praising him on twitter as well.

Coady was poor at right back, but I'm not sure if he was worse than Iorfa has been. He was positionaly better I think, but that could be because he was less adventurous.

Cheers for that Lycan. Interesting to read what Saiss and Price were like together as it's something a fair few Wolves fans have been wanting to see.

I think having Price & Saiss together gives is so many more options. It's got to be hard for the opposition to get tight to both plus it feeds Costa, Cav, Bright et al to feet rather than lumping it forward.

It's a non brained for me

Thanks for the write up Lycan - more instructive than the 94 mins of commentary from Burrows & Thommo

Glad to hear Saiss and Price worked drop Edwards and have Bright further forward and it looks quite decent. Will be interesting to see if Lambo makes any changes from a winning side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Will Dicko play on Boxing Day? Or will Bod get a chance.

Think Dicko may play. Whilst he is struggling for a goal and over thinking it when he gets a chance, the front 3 are important. If they are forming a decent understanding and causing issues, we can survive without Dicko scoring like he used to if Ivan & Costa are scoring.

Dicko needs the "goal in off his arse" scenario. One where he has zero chance to think about it, just natural reactions.

Think Dicko may play. Whilst he is struggling for a goal and over thinking it when he gets a chance, the front 3 are important. If they are forming a decent understanding and causing issues, we can survive without Dicko scoring like he used to if Ivan & Costa are scoring.

Dicko needs the "goal in off his arse" scenario. One where he has zero chance to think about it, just natural reactions.

Fair comment. Though his goal drought must be affecting him. As you say he just wants a fluke, anything to get on the score sheet again.

Fair comment. Though his goal drought must be affecting him. As you say he just wants a fluke, anything to get on the score sheet again.

Without a doubt it will be affecting him. His chance v Fulham was clear on that. Dicko before the injury would have taken a touch before putting the shot on target, instead he saw the ball and just swung at it.

Without a doubt it will be affecting him. His chance v Fulham was clear on that. Dicko before the injury would have taken a touch before putting the shot on target, instead he saw the ball and just swung at it.

2 nil up and get a penalty 5 minutes from time ast home to QPR. Xmas present for Dicko?

Back