• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Forest 0 - Wolves 2 a welcome relief from the recent games verdict thread

Parkins left foot

'Quirk's Gay Game Winner'
Reaction score
At last we decided to try to keep the ball rather than just give it back to the opposition - as a surprise we win

Bright sounded just that

Price/Edwards & Saiss protected the back 4 well, though Forest really didn't pose that many questions

Better than Tuesday - though that wasn't difficult

Win away from home, clean sheet and a team that most folks thought was half decent. For me, Lambert seems to be picking better teams now. I.e. Saville didn't play!

Forest are not in any way shape or form decent, but that is a very welcome three points indeed.

Mr Stelling repeated the fact 2 wins in 12 whilst playing today. 2 wins in 4 sounds better

So last 4 games are WDLW so at least things are improving. Clean sheet is massive, don't care how bad Forest are they are where we want to be so we need to be beating teams like that injuries or not. When Ronan came on I heard his name a lot in commentary that hopefully means he is confident and wants to get involved I hope we will see more of him in the coming weeks.

Many of us had been banging on about getting Cav in and playing regularly and shock horror he is scoring goals now, Lambert has recognized that so im glad about that and Saville not involved, which is another plus.

My hope is now that Lambert is realizing who is and isn't going to cut the mustard. There is no point in playing Saville, Wallace etc... they need to be sold and better players signed.

Off to celebrate with a few beverages, how much better is a Saturday night when Wolves win!

Forest are not in any way shape or form decent, but that is a very welcome three points indeed.
I think he's referring to the team Lambert picked.

This is a vital three points if we are to have a cat in hell's chance of mounting a challenging for the top six. I personally think we won't but there's a flicker of hope if we can win the next two (very winnable) home games.

It just shows that if we can get enough ball into our wide players they have the quality to win games.

Sounded as if Cav, Costa & Bright were instrumental in that win - Dicko not fully back yet & Price and Edwards important in protecting the back line (though in truth don't think that Forest posed many questions to answer)

There are winnable games to come in the next few days - a bit of confidence will do this team no end of good.

I was banging on about this after the Cardiff debacle, if we play a proper number 10 then it is really going to help us out in keeping the ball, linking the play and offering a proper threat going forward rather than just hammering it forward in the vague hope it ends up falling to one of the widemen and they can provide a bit of magic. Edwards is worth a shirt at the moment so play him in that deeper role in a 4-2-3-1 if you must, he can play there to a reasonable enough standard providing there's someone alongside him who can pass the ball (so Price/Saiss rather than Saville/Coady). Glad that Bright had a good game and he should be getting a proper run in the team now.

It's not good enough to say "well this is the shit squad we've got, what can anyone do" and throw your hands up in the air. There *are* alternatives from the awful 4-1-2-3 that we've been using for virtually the entire season, we've used one of them today and it's come up trumps. Now I don't want to see us going back to that formation again unless there are serious personnel changes in central midfield and right across the back four, we don't have anything like the players to make it work. This shape suits us far, far better.

Makes a mockery of not starting Cav against Sheff Wed as well, I still haven't really forgiven Lambert for that one.

Much needed win, important not to get carried away as Forest have been dreck in pretty much every game I've seen them this season, but something to build on.

Everything sounded a lot better than Tuesday, a front 4 that is potentially dangerous although they didn't create loads today, we actually managed to have some possession and even a clean sheet so happy days. Pleased for Ronan to make his debut and that Bright had what sounds like his best game in the first team.

All of this was however against a very poor and weakened Forest team but we damn well needed those 3 points and we got them so well played chaps.

Clean sheet will keep the back four in place for the next game so that keeps Coady out of possible midfield selection. I like him at full back, could settle there.

Excellent result and a welcome clean sheet.

A fairly timid and even affair most of the first half. We had a couple of decent chances along the ground. Forest's chances all came from crosses from the left with Lichaj and Carayol doubling up on Coady who was beaten a couple of times. Price had to go over and help him a few times as Costa doesn't do much defensive work.

The best we looked was when we switched Cav into the middle and Bright to the left about 5 mins before our first goal. Cav and Costa suddenly came alive linking up with each other and that was true for the goal. Great finish. I didn't even realise it was in until Costa celebrated! Then we weirdly switched straight back to Cav on the left as son as we scored. Not sure why as that is when we looked our best.

The defence looked surprisingly solid. Price did well getting himself about and keeping it simple. Edwards was an "effort" performance. Dicko looked a little bit sharper but is still getting muscled off the ball too easily. Doherty defended well on the left.

------------

Fairly uneventful second half from us really. We put our one decent chance away to put the game to bed, but up to then we were put under a fair bit of pressure through the middle of our defence. Thankfully a lack of quality from them meant we kept a clean sheet. All the defence played well and held firm though to be fair. They stopped trying to play through Coady at RB which was a strange as he was our weak link. Mainly because Carayol was rubbish though and he got hauled off for Pereira.

Price was my MOTM just ahead of Cav/Costa. Really put himself about well, covered in defence when needed and kept his passing simple. My Forest mate said he was impressed with him after the game. Rash challenge for his booking wiping out a player on the touchline on a counter, so took one for the team really.

Edwards played ok. The Usual you get from him when he isn't threatening a goal. Work rate and closing down. Won the ball back well for the goal. Though all Forest fans around me claimed it was a foul.

Bright had a decent game after a quiet-ish start where his passing and awareness let him down. Got on the ball well in the end and linked play ok, but hit his one chance in the first half over the bar.

I liked the look of Ronan. Little livewire and not afraid to get stuck in with his defensive work which I like from him.

---------

I'll do some ratings when I get home.

Clean sheet will keep the back four in place for the next game so that keeps Coady out of possible midfield selection. I like him at full back, could settle there.

Sounded as if they got past him a couple of times (though no worse than Iorfa has been recently)

Then again Forest are not a team to guage how well we played at the back as suspect that they have more problems than we do

Sounded as if they got past him a couple of times (though no worse than Iorfa has been recently)

Then again Forest are not a team to guage how well we played at the back as suspect that they have more problems than we do

A good winger should always beat a fullback in one on one situations no matter how good they are, get his cover sorted and he will grow into the position.

Formation was a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 btw. Edwards didn't get forward much.

Having seen the highlights i have no idea how Costa has scored from the position he was in and pretty sure Cavaleiro's take a deflection but we won. Honestly weren't sure we could even beat this poor Forest side but we have and now we have to kick on. I think Bear has said we were under pressure again in the second half but luckily they didn't have any quality to capitalise which still worries me when we play against most other sides but pleased with the win today.

Looking at the stats for the game Price dominated the ball first half near 50 times on the ball, yet second half only just over 20. Was it noticeable that Forest took away his time on the ball which allowed them to exert pressure.

He won't do in that role, not consistently anyway but he doesn't need to. The number 10 is there to do that bit, he's already pushed way up the park to do his work in the final third. Edwards can sit in and press the ball as required, which he's alright at these days - it's the exact role he plays for Wales. I don't want to see him picked as the number 10 at any stage, he just plays like a rubbish striker when he does. It's far better having him there in a proper structure which makes sense for our current players, than as one of a pair ahead of a single DM when neither of them show any clear sign that they know what they're supposed to be doing. The gaping void that has been our central midfield all season has already cost us tons of points.

Man, that is some rancid goalkeeping from Stojkovic on both goals (assuming no deflection on Cav's). Awful keeper, one of the few worse in the league than Lonergan.

Back