• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Who was the Benfica fan at the start giving all the warnings? SLB?

I’m with him now! I’ve had enough of it. If we make shit decisions, sign shit players/managers and are shit then fine, that’s football and we made our bed. But to do exactly that, whilst paying a third party a massive amount to make a shit bed with no repercussions. No thanks.
That's more on Jeff Shi. He's given Mendes that power based on Guo's instructions.

There's certainly a conflict of interest issue now.

Who was the Benfica fan at the start giving all the warnings? SLB?

I’m with him now! I’ve had enough of it. If we make shit decisions, sign shit players/managers and are shit then fine, that’s football and we made our bed. But to do exactly that, whilst paying a third party a massive amount to make a shit bed with no repercussions. No thanks.
It was SLB yeah.

Doing business with Mendes is like that. It should have been a warning that no club benefits from dealing with him in the long run, but it is what it is. Hopefully we can still turn this around.

I did say in post 147 of the 'Lage sacked' thread last Sunday, we should steer clear of any Mendes candidate for manager.
Are we in Dyche territory yet though? 😳

Up until today, I thought it was all on Lage but maybe the players are more responsible than I actually thought.

A lot of them looked shit today - not shit in an “un-coached” way - shit as in shit-footballers way.

Sa looks a bigger liability every week, Toti looked like a pub player and the youngsters off the bench are not fit for purpose (not their fault).

The front three/four/five are the most worrying - there just doesn’t look like there’s a goal in any of them.

I guess we were missing our best player and it was Chelsea away - I get it.

The new manager certainly has a job to do and it going to have to make some big and brave decisions.

Our only saving Grace is that there is sone real rubbish down there with us this year.

We might just have to hope this year that there are three teams more shit than us.

What a fucking waste of a season.

Surely if we get JL in we are benefitting from Mendes? No way we get a manager of his pedigree without Mendes? (If of course we do)

Yeah I'm a little surprised at the handwringing, no one thought we would win today or even draw? Did they? Yet the anger and despair seems amplified?

Yes does feel pretty bleak considering we weren't expecting much from the game. I think the fact that we still look no nearer to scoring a goal let alone winning a game contributes and if that continues we're only heading one way. For context though, Chelsea beat Milan in the Champions League by the same score just 3 days ago, the latter have today beaten Juventus 2-0.

A lot of work faces the new guy whoever it may be though and several months of woeful form needs arresting and quickly. Fair enough we lost to Chelsea today but if we have yet another no-show against Forest next week then very loud alarm bells will be ringing.

At the moment it feels like a combination of Shi, Sellars and Lage have undone all the good work done by Nuno and the team, from challenging for Europe to scrapping for relegation and unable to score goals is a depressing fall/fail.

Last edited:
I just don’t see where the goals are coming from to dig us out of this mess, it’s not like we’re missing loads of chances either.

Reactions: b3h
He’s only in it for himself.

He said he tried to get Guedes in for 2 years. Clearly Nuno blocked it and then Jeff wouldn’t spend the money. Then Bruno the yes man agreed to it.

Semedo - line his pockets and help his mates out at Barca

Trincao - same as above. Was just too shit to work

Guedes - same as above but his mates at Valencia this time

Podence - farmers league player. Absolute passenger in a good league

Fabio Silva - nothing need to be said

Vitinha - strange one. Nuno didn’t like him/want him. Club then didn’t know what to do with him when Nuno left.

Neto - actually a good one except for unfortunate injuries. £16m about right for a player of his ability/potential at the time

Jordao - shambles

Nunes - will be a good player but we didn’t exactly get him cheap. Having less impact so far than Guimares did at Newcastle.

We’re not exactly doing well out of these deals. Even the successes aren’t cheap and no different to what we’d have managed to do without Mendes.

Deliberately leaving out Jota, Neves, Moutinho and Boly just makes this look biased. Not that I disagree with many of the descriptions you gave.

Deliberately leaving out Jota, Neves, Moutinho and Boly just makes this look biased. Not that I disagree with many of the descriptions you gave.
I was referring to the post championship era, where we have now ceased to achieve the benefit. I’ve alluded to those in the later post.

There is some stuff on SM suggesting that guedes, Costa & Adama were planned to come off at HT because they weren't fit enough to last a full 90.

As with everything on SM a high degree of skepticism is required

I think so, unless we were to gamble on a Svensson type?
If you’d offered me him in the summer or before I’d have snapped your hand off. Coming straight in from a poor spell is a concern though.

He’s got a good CV, but I don’t agree we couldn’t attract him without Mendes. He’s not going to a super club, so then the PL is his next best option.
Who would you go for?
I’d be ok with JL. I don’t know enough outside the PL to know if he’s the best candidate all things considered. I just don’t agree with the view we couldn’t get him without Mendes.

Result was more or less what I expected so agree that some overreaction. When a team has become as stale as we are things aren’t just going to click into place because the chief cause has departed. Chelsea are a very good team and are motivated by a new manager with new ideas, so it was going to be a hard ask, even more so with Collins and Neves missing. Players aren’t going to suddenly become fitter and they’re not going to start playing like Man City creating a multitude of chances. It is undoubtedly going to be a struggle but get a new manager in and things can improve slowly.

Having said that it would be interesting to know who thought letting five players who can play CH leave and replacing them with just one was a good idea.

I suggested this a week ago!
I'm shite at this stuff but could someone stick up a poll of the current favs please?

It's not surprising we didnt get anytging, we've had no identity for a good while, the players dont know their game.

The time we get something out of these games is when we're up to speed and we know what we're doing, I just hope that's sooner rather than later

It's not surprising we didnt get anytging, we've had no identity for a good while, the players dont know their game.

The time we get something out of these games is when we're up to speed and we know what we're doing, I just hope that's sooner rather than later
The players have also had their hearts and balls removed as well apparently.
Stealing a living.

If you’d offered me him in the summer or before I’d have snapped your hand off. Coming straight in from a poor spell is a concern though.

He’s got a good CV, but I don’t agree we couldn’t attract him without Mendes. He’s not going to a super club, so then the PL is his next best option.

I’d be ok with JL. I don’t know enough outside the PL to know if he’s the best candidate all things considered. I just don’t agree with the view we couldn’t get him without Mendes.

Loads of managers go from champions League clubs to relegation battlers don't they?

Back