• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Loads of managers go from champions League clubs to relegation battlers don't they?
Well for 1 he’s been sacked from said club. And “champions league club” is factually correct but a super club they are not. He’s not moving up the food chain from there.

Then it depends if you think this squad is a genuine relegation candidate from the outside, and likely have financial backing in January if required.

Well for 1 he’s been sacked from said club. And “champions league club” is factually correct but a super club they are not. He’s not moving up the food chain from there.

Then it depends if you think this squad is a genuine relegation candidate from the outside, and likely have financial backing in January if required.

They weren't until he turned up. He made them one.

Yes I think this squad are relegation candidates.

They weren't until he turned up. He made them one.
They’d been in the CL two seasons before he arrived. La Liga isn’t the same dynamic as the PL anyway, don’t have a closed shop. Sevilla’s turnover and wage bill is lower than ours for example
I agree. Don’t think it would stop JL joining.

They’d been in the CL two seasons before he arrived. La Liga isn’t the same dynamic as the PL anyway, don’t have a closed shop. Sevilla’s turnover and wage bill is lower than ours for example

I agree. Don’t think it would stop JL joining.

For the first time in donkeys years. Pure luck. Not 3 on the trot and established.

He wouldn't ever consider coming here without Mendes. He's levels above what we can attract currently.

Worst performance of the season. Other than against City we had never allowed any team to totally dominate a game in this way. In todays game we looked relegation certs. Costa looked much poorer than last week.

But we were playing a resurgent Chelsea who have found new confidence under Potter. Their 9-man subs bench would have beaten our starting 11. We had injuries and suspensions to contend with. Other than from a confidence perspective today really was a free pass.

Neves-Mouthinho-Nunes is a midfield that most the league would die for. Defence should be much tighter when Collins returns. We are desperate to score goals, and if we do then mid-table is certainly achievable.

Who will be sent off first - Costa or Nunes?

We’re showing no signs of recovery as I’ve said what we’ve got to rely on in the immediate future to get us goals is frightening.

Chickens are coming home to roost, as we've been storing up multiple problems for a while now. Big week ahead.

Who in our squad is genuine PL quality ie will have us sat comfortably in mid table?

Sa- to many basic errors so no
Johnny- shown he’s more than good enough, needs to rediscover his form.
Collins- yes
Kilman-yes
Semedo- yes
RAN- yes
Nunes-yes
Neves-yes
Moutinho-yes
B Traore- unproven
Adama- to sporadic
Podence- occasional good performance but on the whole no
Neto- yes, but has vanished a long time ago
Guedes- no
Hwang- no
Jimenez- use to be but we’ve got a shell of his former self
Costa- use to be but asking him to score enough to get us out of trouble is asking a lot.
The others are genuinely all unproven.

Obvious there’s a huge imbalance in the squad and our forward thinking players frankly aren’t good enough or don’t produce enough.
It’s on Bruno mainly as he created this squad and has left it in a mess but certain players have been hiding for to long.
A decent coach will improve us but I’m not sure he’ll be able to do it in time to save us.
Catalogue of dreadful decisions have lead to this.
Sacking Nuno- then replacing him with Lage
Not adding to the squad until late in the window.
Keeping Lage for the start of the season and allowing him to cause havoc.

Yeah I'm a little surprised at the handwringing, no one thought we would win today or even draw? Did they? Yet the anger and despair seems amplified?
It's an interesting question as you are correct if you look at the predictor thread a comfortable defeat was the majority view. I was out yesterday so didn't see the game so I'm only piecing together people's thoughts from reading this, the matchday, thread and various other reports.

I think it comes down to 2 things. Firstly if the players all despised Bruno as much as we were lead to believe then you'd expect some sort of reaction, either in intensensity or freedom it would appear that didn't happen. I doubt anyone thought removing him would cure everything, but to see no effect is worrying.

Secondly, linked to a degree to the above are certain players actually interested? If they aren't then we will go down whoever is in charge, a team without heart doesn't stay up. The 3 players pulled out a lot from what I've read are Podence, Adama and Guedes. Without seeing it I can dismiss the first 2 to a degree as they are polarising players at the best of times so attract the most criticism, but Guedes has been taken apart most brutally by just about everything I've read, fans and media alike. He cost £27m and apparently was clearly disnterested or his confidence is completely shot. You couple that with Nunes who to be polite needed to be convinced to come it's really a question that although the spend was impressive, how good was the actual recruitment in the Summer?

Last edited:
Have to say the starting 11 was pretty much the same team we all picked in the build up, bar the odd one like RAN/Jonny.

Season starts from next weekend. Get a new manager in this week, let him look at the tools available. Then hope/pray we can turn Forest over. Lose there and I’ll be extremely worried.

A lot of things have become true be it was obvious they would. The amount of people thinking we could just press a re-set button at the end of last season no it’s just carried through.
The absolute tosh I saw by some on SM and on here after the 1-0 defeat at Spurs saying it was a good effort and will mean we do well against lesser sides, well how’s that working? And what planet are you on to think that a good effort v Spurs means you’ll beat ie Bournemouth?
I wanted to spend so many years away from the championship so that I’d start to forget how miserable it was.
Just gets me angry had we been on a shoe string budget then fair enough but we’ve almost voluntarily put ourselves in this position.

No they're not.
I know it's sailing close to an awful cliche, but there is far too much skill and talent in this squad to go down.
What we don't have is some tactical teambuilding man managing maestro to pull the whole lot of them together.
This is, and many of us experts on here have previously said 'this is the most talented squad of players ever seen at Molineux in my lifetime' (or some similar sentiment) but we really need someone to maximise this talent.
Just not sure Lopetigue is the guy to do it. He might be, just don't know...

No they're not.
I know it's sailing close to an awful cliche, but there is far too much skill and talent in this squad to go down.
What we don't have is some tactical teambuilding man managing maestro to pull the whole lot of them together.
This is, and many of us experts on here have previously said 'this is the most talented squad of players ever seen at Molineux in my lifetime' (or some similar sentiment) but we really need someone to maximise this talent.
Because there's more to winning football matches than just good technique. There's decision making, ruthlessness, desire and heart, and actual end product. Other than the odd purple patch none of them have shown it. When you look at the goal involvements during the ENTIRE CAREERS of every forward player we have, the numbers aren't pretty. They just can't convert dangerous situations into actual goal scoring chances with any regularity.

Neto has never recovered from the first injury nevermind his new one.
Podence is flashy blob of nothing
Guedes is shit.
Traore has had 8 good weeks in his life.
Hwang wouldn't stand out in league one.
Raul and Costa are both finished.

Technique isn't everything, but it's basically all we have.

No they're not.

It's not, the quality of our attacking players is worse now than the first season we were in the premier league. Significantly worse.

We make scoring goals look very difficult. More difficult than it is. I assume we will make a good position bad. Even when we look like scoring we don't look like scoring.

We are in danger of relegation because we don't win enough games.

Yesterday was an embarrassment. It doesn't matter who the opposition is if you don't turn up.

Back