• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

More likely they asked questions when watching Semedo’s first few games and changed strategy when they saw Silva in the first team for the first time.
unsure. Silva was jeff Shi's signing remember. Now I think about it, I wonder if there is more to the fact that it was Shi in the pics, rather than Nuno or anyone else in the coaching team.

More likely they asked questions when watching Semedo’s first few games and changed strategy when they saw Silva in the first team for the first time.

Id find it odd if that the entire strategy could be changed by a handful of performances of two players.

What I was alluding to is that spending what we did on two players under the current strategy just wouldn't happen.

Id find it odd if that the entire strategy could be changed by a handful of performances of two players.

What I was alluding to is that spending what we did on two players under the current strategy just wouldn't happen.
If you could wind the clock back I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t sign either of them. Over £60m for a club of our resources was a huge amount of money and after seeing them play there must be some big regrets and that appears to have brought about a change in strategy. I think after making money on Cav and Costa they got a bit carried away with Silva and neglected the small print about investments can lose value as well as increase in value.

If you could wind the clock back I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t sign either of them. Over £60m for a club of our resources was a huge amount of money and after seeing them play there must be some big regrets and that appears to have brought about a change in strategy. I think after making money on Cav and Costa they got a bit carried away with Silva and neglected the small print about investments can lose value as well as increase in value.
It was a bung

I do wish we'd stop using Nelson's fee against him, especially after he's been so exemplary this season. No, he doesn't create as much as we'd like, but he's had absolutely fuck all to work with at RW between Traore (even his staunchest supporters would have to admit that he and Nelson had no chemistry whatsoever) and Trincao (whose two decent games prior to the break now look a fluke).

Not to mention how much his presence surely has helped with the development of Kilman and his assuredness on that side of the pitch.

Semedo has been a great buy, price be damned.

It’s more about Fabio. Clearly paying back a favour
Maybe. I can just as easily see it being bad scouting given some of our other signings that haven’t been, uh, great.

Everybody said Neto was a bung too at the time if I remember correctly. OK so Fabio has been a gamble too, and yes, not paid off yet. But you can see why with his reputation at his age we went for him. And time is on his side at least, it's not a total lost cause just yet

Maybe. I can just as easily see it being bad scouting given some of our other signings that haven’t been, uh, great.
No one signs completely unproven 18 year olds for that sort of fee

Everybody said Neto was a bung too at the time if I remember correctly.
Before they’d seen him play, after his first outing you could see he was a player. Started against Watford in September and had a really good game. 12 Months later he’s our best player. Not remotely comparable.
OK so Fabio has been a gamble too, and yes, not paid off yet. But you can see why with his reputation at his age we went for him. And time is on his side at least, it's not a total lost cause just yet
I honestly have no idea after 18 months of evidence you can still hold this view. Liverpool have just signed Luis Diaz from Porto for £40m and he was one of their best players. Ignoring inflation, Fabio needs to be sold for over £50m to break even with the investment of time and wages, probably more than that if you consider the short term impact it’s had (£2.5m a league place for starters).

All that before we even consider agents took €15m out the deal.

I do wish we'd stop using Nelson's fee against him, especially after he's been so exemplary this season. No, he doesn't create as much as we'd like, but he's had absolutely fuck all to work with at RW between Traore (even his staunchest supporters would have to admit that he and Nelson had no chemistry whatsoever) and Trincao (whose two decent games prior to the break now look a fluke).

Not to mention how much his presence surely has helped with the development of Kilman and his assuredness on that side of the pitch.

Semedo has been a great buy, price be damned.
Sorry Alan, but that's cobblers. You can't judge the effectiveness of a signing without taking the price into account. He's a good player, a competent PL right back, he's not a £30m player though, it was bad business.

No one signs completely unproven 18 year olds for that sort of fee
I mean, you still get some bad deals out there. Everton spent a big wedge on Moise Kean, for example. Hell, look at what Sheffield United paid for Rhian Brewster!

We aren't the only club that have been fucked over by jumping at an expensive prospect too early.

Sorry Alan, but that's cobblers. You can't judge the effectiveness of a signing without taking the price into account. He's a good player, a competent PL right back, he's not a £30m player though, it was bad business.
At that price, I disagree, simply put. I'd point to AWB as a comp for value.

At that price, I disagree, simply put. I'd point to AWB as a comp for value.
And I'd point to Lamptey. You can't look at other deals where teams overpaid, particularly when it's Utd and claim that makes Semedo good value.

And I'd point to Lamptey. You can't look at other deals where teams overpaid, particularly when it's Utd and claim that makes Semedo good value.
Equally you can't ignore real deals that actually happened.

I think Semedo has been worth the price we paid, that's all. :)

Last edited:
I mean, you still get some bad deals out there. Everton spent a big wedge on Moise Kean, for example. Hell, look at what Sheffield United paid for Rhian Brewster!

We aren't the only club that have been fucked over by jumping at an expensive prospect too early.
Moise Kean was a talent and still is a talent. He was also 33% cheaper. Juventus are obligated to buy him back so everton get all their money back.
Amad Diallo

£19m, just over half the price. Played in a United reserve team against us and looked really good. And it’s United who have unlimited money. That example if anything supports what I’m saying not counter it.

Everybody said Neto was a bung too at the time if I remember correctly. OK so Fabio has been a gamble too, and yes, not paid off yet. But you can see why with his reputation at his age we went for him. And time is on his side at least, it's not a total lost cause just yet
Seriously?

How bad is a strategy to be paying £35m on a gamble? A club record fee on a punt on a player who has never played any senior football.

I can't believe people still think this wasn't a bung.

It's set us back years.

Brewster. Young, English tax and Liverpool always seem to be able to rip people off. Had just gone 1 in 2 in the championship albeit only half a season. Sheff Utd thought he was the man to keep them up immediately. They paid £23m, £12m less than Fabio to make an immediate impact. Probably overpaid £5-8m but they thought he was the guy and they can’t exactly attract the best. Hasnt worked out but there was at least logic.

Back