• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I think Fabio has 6 goals in 7 appearances at Portugal u21 level. 5 of those goals have been against Lichtenstein though.

You think Donck has been played in that role because of stats?

He’s played right centre back tonight rather than sitting in front of the back 3.

I think it's because he's the only midfielder who can cover the ground to get in those positions and then back into the defensive setup.
Yeah I'd say so. I think he worked fine in the 352 for that second half of the 18/19 season because he gave our midfield legs. Also he's fairly good in the air which is also why I think Nuno asked him to arrive in the box, though I don't think he is actually particularly good at attacking headers

I actually liked him at centre back for a bit but he had the odd lapse in concentration that meant it was a bit too risky overall really. He just looks a lot more competent with the game in front of him in general anyway

I'm in the minority that think he's a decent option at RCB but he is better in central midfield as a destroyer
I think he can do a job but struggles with the pace of the Premier League in the RCB position. I think he would be a great option there in a slower paced league.

Definitely better with the game in front of him, he hates turning so the deeper you can get him the better. Agree that his best position in this league is the destroyer, winning it and giving to players that can turn and pass forward or carry it.

Yeah I'd say so. I think he worked fine in the 352 for that second half of the 18/19 season because he gave our midfield legs. Also he's fairly good in the air which is also why I think Nuno asked him to arrive in the box, though I don't think he is actually particularly good at attacking headers

I actually liked him at centre back for a bit but he had the odd lapse in concentration that meant it was a bit too risky overall really. He just looks a lot more competent with the game in front of him in general anyway

Agreed, arriving late in the box he was probably more useful as a distraction to the opposition rather than a genuine threat in his own right. Not a trait exclusive to him but even a lot of his chances resulted in tame efforts on target rather than shots that would be more difficult to save.

He looks absolutely dreadful in build up play when he's in advanced positions though, he would operate in a bubble where no-one can come within 20 yards of him and it would be still be a safe pass back where it came whenever he faced his own goal. Think he'd me more than competent at the base of a midfield 3, could cover the full width of the pitch allowing wingbacks/fullbacks to bomb on but there aren't any suitable midfielders at Wolves to do what the likes of Tielemens does for Leicester or Thiago for Liverpool to make that setup work.

Maybe with a squad reshuffle he could be repurposed in that sort of role next season.

As I've said countless times before, put him as one of the base CMs in 4231 then he'll be absolutely fine, we don't though. This season the only match we asked him to do anything close to his natural game was Villa at home and unsurprisingly it was his best game of the season

As the cliche goes football is a simple game complicated by the stupid

Won't be a home pre season game the week before the season starts due to the Commonwealth Games.

"Matt Wild, general manager for football administration, told the Express & Star the club received a request from West Midlands Police for them not to schedule a match for that weekend.

“They asked us if we could play away on the last weekend in July and we obliged,” he said.
Bruno Lage’s men will instead conclude their pre-season campaign with an away fixture, with details to be confirmed soon."

Looks like we'll be away the first game as well given it doesn't finish until Monday 8th

It was on last night so not sure if it's on repeat but SKY had the championship review of our title winning campaign of 20017/18.

I didn't watch it as the rugby was on but would be good to catch up on a time when optimism was still a thing...

It was on last night so not sure if it's on repeat but SKY had the championship review of our title winning campaign of 20017/18.

I didn't watch it as the rugby was on but would be good to catch up on a time when optimism was still a thing...
They also showed the games at Boro and Cardiff, one after the other. Great times!

Back