• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

I didn't want to necro the thread but I had put this in the transfer thread after the statement when the guys were loaned out. This isn't a particularly clever or inspired take either. Given the team it's taken several players to settle before breaking into the team then it's even more annoying they trotted out the difficulty of shopping in January stuff.

From the transfer thread:
"The not replacing minutes is dangerously close to having learned nothing from too small a squad under Nuno, once we stopped getting injury luck and moved back closer to the normal amount of missed game time due to injuries for a team in this division.

Sasa and Silva weren't getting minutes because they either didn't fit tactically for a new manager or aren't good enough. However looking at our fixtures and minutes played of the starters there are key moments when a change should have happened."

Well we've finished 7th twice in the last 40 years, and we're nowhere near as good as those teams.
We're not, but we'd only need to be good enough to be 7th this season.

Anyway it's moot, we'll never know. It's the lack of ambition that fucks me off.

Don't need to be **that** good to come 7th.

You’re absolutely right and weren’t that good either.
Traffic between us and 7th is Chelsea, West Ham, Brighton and Newcastle. 3/4 of them would argue with good evidence they’re better than us even with a fit Cunha fit.

It's the lack of ambition that fucks me off.
I do agree, the strategy since 2020 has been such a mess (I mean we're better off now than when we were appointing Lage and signing Guedes, but I'm not giving any praise for that, it's having Frey Bentos pie for tea instead of dogshit pie, it still isn't very nice or good for you).

Particularly given what we charge, and they'll ask for even more money off me in three months or so.

Yep. Not getting any higher in the table/not going down = season over.

The fact we didn’t sign anyone to cover the scenario we now find ourselves in tells you everything you need to know about Fosun’s ambition.
I still don’t know about this.

This season has always been about staying up. We don’t need to get out over our skis trying to do too much too soon.

We’ll see in the summer how stupid of me the above is.

I know this is my particular hobby horse but you only need to walk round the ground to know that Fosun have zero interest in anything Wolves.
It’s probably the argument I have to respect the most fwiw. That and ticket prices.

I mean we're fine, we're decent to watch a lot of the time, no danger of going down and we have a fair amount of likeable players. There's just no way we were ever finishing 7th though. We've been in the top half for one solitary week (last week) all season and we're unlikely to win many away games for the rest of the season. It's cloud cuckoo land.

I mean we're fine, we're decent to watch a lot of the time, no danger of going down and we have a fair amount of likeable players. There's just no way we were ever finishing 7th though. We've been in the top half for one solitary week (last week) all season and we're unlikely to win many away games for the rest of the season. It's cloud cuckoo land.
It’s all built on very shaky foundations. Lose one or 2 players and we’re relegation fodder.

You need a minimum of about 55 points to get into Europe, this squad even when fully fit doesn’t have that ability to maintain that consistency and secondly when we did it 4-5 years ago the chasing pack were nowhere near good enough. You’ve now got Villa, Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham who’ve all improved massively since. When we did it was just us and Leicester causing the issues nobody else.

On the positive side, big chance for Fraser. We’ll probably have a pretty good idea about him come May, for better or worse.

It's a massive risk with Fraser, for me. He has looked completely out of his depth apart from 20 or so minutes in the cup replay v Brentford.

Most of the time he looks completely lost and it isn't a critisicm of him. He is just very young and very raw.

He has the fans on his side at the moment because he's through the academy and a local lad (and so he should) but he really isn't a credible option for me to start. He should be out on loan but clearly failing that he is good for 10-15 mins here and there but that should really be it.

I mean he'd played literally 10 minutes in the PL before Saturday and he wasn't especially bad then either, definitely not "completely out of his depth", which is what I'd level at Fabio for his performances vs Palace and Liverpool in September.

Do I think he's ready, no, but not sure where this angle is coming from.

Even if he's not ready now, it's Prem minutes he'd never have gotten otherwise. Surely that only helps his development along?

Back