• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Whilst we aren't directly implicated in this, it does leave questions around the transfer.

We overpaid for him and someone at Porto looks to be on the take, so I think either

A) Mendes set the whole thing up and played us like a fiddle
B) we're complicit in this and knew what was happening but did it in a way where we would be safe
C) we genuinely think Silva is worth £35m

All of this is of course purely conjecture on my part

Whilst we aren't directly implicated in this, it does leave questions around the transfer.

We overpaid for him and someone at Porto looks to be on the take, so I think either

A) Mendes set the whole thing up and played us like a fiddle
B) we're complicit in this and knew what was happening but did it in a way where we would be safe
C) we genuinely think Silva is worth £35m

All of this is of course purely conjecture on my part

Maybe I'm wrong but I really can't see it being A. Don't Fosun actually own a stake in Gestifute, surely wouldn't benefit Mendes to fuck over Fosun when they literally owns part of his business.

Also, to have grown their business so much in such a short space of time suggests that they are incredibly ruthless and efficient financial operators. There seems to be a bit of a narrative that Mendes has got Fosun on a string and can basically make them do as he pleases, I just don't buy it.

B and C, yeah can see that.

It's B or a variation of it, Porto undercalling is on them. Last Summer was payback time for the prior 4 years - see Doherty for further evidence. He didn't shaft us we were complicit. It's why Jeff overeggs the generational talent pudding imo

Regardless of whether we did or didn’t know what was going on, it’s shit and does our reputation absolutely no good whatsoever to be associated with such deals.

Particularly when our name has already been dragged through the mud on several occasions from the mainstream media to the casual football fan and pretty much everyone in between, due to our relationship with Mendes.

I don’t personally think we care about that. It’s Mendes carousel. We will get an insane bargain some windows less so in others.

I don’t personally think we care about that. It’s Mendes carousel. We will get an insane bargain some windows less so in others.
I think this is a bit different though, it looks like someone has profited in an illegal way.

Maybe I'm wrong but I really can't see it being A. Don't Fosun actually own a stake in Gestifute, surely wouldn't benefit Mendes to fuck over Fosun when they literally owns part of his business.

Also, to have grown their business so much in such a short space of time suggests that they are incredibly ruthless and efficient financial operators. There seems to be a bit of a narrative that Mendes has got Fosun on a string and can basically make them do as he pleases, I just don't buy it.

B and C, yeah can see that.
This is proper tin foil hat stuff but bear with me.

Say Fosun did want some money out of the club, a good way to do that would be via transfers.

Most of our transfers go via Mendes, the more we pay and the more transfers we make the better for Mendes. Fosun get 20% of any profits Gestifute make.

It's in Fosuns interest for wolves to do as much business through Mendes as possible.

So now that we're operating without investment from Fosun, it's a hidden way for Fosun to get a return.

Fosun don't own any of Gestifute. Another of Guo's businesses does

Say Fosun did want some money out of the club, a good way to do that would be via transfers.

Most of our transfers go via Mendes, the more we pay and the more transfers we make the better for Mendes. Fosun get 20% of any profits Gestifute make.

It's in Fosuns interest for wolves to do as much business through Mendes as possible.

So now that we're operating without investment from Fosun, it's a hidden way for Fosun to get a return.
I don't think that's tin foil hat mate, makes perfect sense to me.

If there are two players of similar ability they'd be silly not to go for the the Mendes client really wouldn't they, as they indirectly make money from it. It's all very morally questionable but from a purely business perspective it's very savvy IMO.

Regardless of whether we did or didn’t know what was going on, it’s shit and does our reputation absolutely no good whatsoever to be associated with such deals.

Particularly when our name has already been dragged through the mud on several occasions from the mainstream media to the casual football fan and pretty much everyone in between, due to our relationship with Mendes.
The worst part of the deal for me is spending £35m on a player who isn't worth it. Porto fiddling their books is nothing to with us.

I get the scepticism around Fabio but I think it's going to be at least a couple of years before we can judge whether Fabio was worth his transfer fee.

Surely there are better ways to get money out of the club than take a 20% share?

I get the scepticism around Fabio but I think it's going to be at least a couple of years before we can judge whether Fabio was worth his transfer fee.
Ahh this line again.

That’s now it works. I don’t pay double for a house in 1995 knowing that it doesn’t matter as it will be worth double what I paid again in 25 years time.

And the housing market is a lot more predictable than the developments of footballers…

We overpaid. Now as I said for the last year, we are either grossly incompetent (impossible), or there was something else to the transaction. Now that could be anything - Mendes carousel, getting Porto out of a hole for a future favour, payback for a previous favour, whatever. As long as we don’t get caught out (aren’t aren’t genuinely being corrupt) and as long as we benefit more than we lose then I can just about accept it.

Ahh this line again.

That’s now it works. I don’t pay double for a house in 1995 knowing that it doesn’t matter as it will be worth double what I paid again in 25 years time.

And the housing market is a lot more predictable than the developments of footballers…

We overpaid. Now as I said for the last year, we are either grossly incompetent (impossible), or there was something else to the transaction. Now that could be anything - Mendes carousel, getting Porto out of a hole for a future favour, payback for a previous favour, whatever. As long as we don’t get caught out (aren’t aren’t genuinely being corrupt) and as long as we benefit more than we lose then I can just about accept it.

That would be stupid. But that's not what they've done though is it? They're hoping he's going to be worth double what they paid. They aren't thinking we'll pay double what we're think he's worth and hope he appreciates up to what we actually paid in a few years time.

Agree it's a big risk, but until he realises whatever potential he has, you can't realistically say we've overpaid or not.

We overpaid his worth, the agents fees prove it. Depends on whether you want to look at it in isolation or not.

We overpaid his worth, the agents fees prove it. Depends on whether you want to look at it in isolation or not.
Man City over pay for every player they buy.

Do we not think that these go on at other clubs?

It’s just that it Wolves that makes people notice.

Non story, really.

Back