• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

With you.
Just had another look, it is simply amazing, BUT HORRIFICALLY if you look closely it was from a corner and we have two players centrally and in the line of sight of the goalie standing in an offside position when he hits it. I am horrified to say that I think a VAR referee would have referred THAT GOAL for review if it had been in the PL and VAR had been in existence.
Remember Neves' similar (ish) goal versus Man United? Same end, off a (short corner) BW side, SB end that went in off the bar.

VAR took ages trying to find a reason to disallow that [possibly great viewing on TV but terrible in the ground] for the ball back to the corner taker (Joao possibly?) to rule the goal offside. We fell foul of another like that, NB end, where I think the stud on Jota's heel was offside on a short corner routine.

Remember Neves' similar (ish) goal versus Man United? Same end, off a (short corner) BW side, SB end that went in off the bar.

VAR took ages trying to find a reason to disallow that [possibly great viewing on TV but terrible in the ground] for the ball back to the corner taker (Joao possibly?) to rule the goal offside. We fell foul of another like that, NB end, where I think the stud on Jota's heel was offside on a short corner routine.
Yep, for sure. And, I remember for years Real Madrid amongst others getting tap ins for players standing near a goalie in offside positions after he has knocked the ball down in a save. They always used to have a player or two standing as close to the goalie as possible at set pieces.
We all know that the big clubs do not have their goals scrutinised in the same way as the 'lesser clubs'.

Yes, think they were checking if Moutinho was offside when he received the ball back as part of the short former

Last edited:
It's quicker which is at least a start, wouldn't change anything about Saturday's disallowed goal though

Offsides are pretty much cut and dry and apart from human error they’re correct even if it’s a matter of mm. If this system gets the same result more quickly then I’m all for it

How does the semi-auto VAR know if a player is interfering with play or not? Will we still need humans to make that call?

I also read human VAR will be able to over rule the tech.

Only works if the line can be synchronised to the SPLIT second the ball is kicked. Otherwise it is open to abuse as the current ststem is.
I'd like Johnny75 to explain why my post amuses him so. The powers that be seem keen to draw lines to the nearest millimetre to rule goals on or offside, but there is no such minute accurate measurement for when the ball is kicked. In fact all the screen focuses on when there is a tight offside decision are the two or more players involved in the back line.
There have been occasions when the defence is back-pedalling and the attacker is heading back onside (and the other way round) when the film clicks on one frame and the result is different. And on those occasions all they focus on are the players on the line and no accurate measurement of when the ball is kicked.

I'd like Johnny75 to explain why my post amuses him so. The powers that be seem keen to draw lines to the nearest millimetre to rule goals on or offside, but there is no such minute accurate measurement for when the ball is kicked. In fact all the screen focuses on when there is a tight offside decision are the two or more players involved in the back line.
There have been occasions when the defence is back-pedalling and the attacker is heading back onside (and the other way round) when the film clicks on one frame and the result is different. And on those occasions all they focus on are the players on the line and no accurate measurement of when the ball is kicked.

There are chips in the ball that measure contact to the millisecond.

Back