• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Henri Camara - your memories

Was in the North stand for the Old Trafford game, was up out my seat cheering when I thought he had scored and then saw the ball hit the advertising hoarding behind the goal, everyone knew I was a Wolves fan from then but saw the funny side of it thankfully.

View attachment 1246

The $#@! in all his glory. Lying bastard $#@!stubbling cock jockey. Although I have mellowed towards him nowadays.

I'd forgotten how horrible that kit was.

He made some very bad decisions off the field, influenced in my opinion by Willie McKay, which meant he never fully realised his potential on the field. In the last two months of our Premiership season, he was superb, borderline unplayable at times. Had the pace and trickery to beat anyone in the league, started to really run himself into the ground for the full 90 minutes, and suddenly started scoring at a goal a game. Like his whole career though, it was only ever in fits and spurts, and some of his public statements did real damage to his career. My favourite non-Wolves one being that he arrived at Celtic straight after Henrik Larsson left, demanded Larsson's number 7 shirt, then got in a huff when he didn't get it.

What to say about dear Henri?

Do you know what, if you had stayed around and help fire us back up I might have really liked you. Clearly a talent and an eye for goal.

However, you went on strike to force your way out, so you are an absolute weapons grade thundercunt. Fuck you.

What to say about dear Henri?

Do you know what, if you had stayed around and help fire us back up I might have really liked you.

I'd agree with that. A motivated and on-form Camara could have destroyed The Championship that season, and his career would have been in a better place, much like how Sako got a better move after performing well for the two seasons after relegation. Instead, he started shooting his mouth off, and his career was holed below the waterline as soon as it became clear he wasn't as good as he said he was.

The fact that he's seemingly barely managed more than one season per club in his career suggests that either a) he's been unfairly manipulated by his agent(s), or b) he's just not the sort of guy who can settle down to one club.

So while its frustrating what happened to us, we possibly shouldn take it personally. We we're just the first.

It never bothered me that he wanted to leave - he had come to a Premier League club and we were relegated. He wasn't the sole reason we got relegated, far from it, and he isn't the first player in the world who wanted to leave a relegated club to further their career. His career hardly set the world alight afterwards, probably because he wasn't as good as we (or he) hoped. He was elevated to a status beyond his abilities and then this was used to hammer him when he (expectedly) decided he hadn't come to England to play in the second tier. We got decent money for him...which was largely wasted.

As DDW mentioned, his misses at Old Trafford meant we missed out on a decent result - we should have won that game.

It never bothered me that he wanted to leave - he had come to a Premier League club and we were relegated. He wasn't the sole reason we got relegated, far from it, and he isn't the first player in the world who wanted to leave a relegated club to further their career. His career hardly set the world alight afterwards, probably because he wasn't as good as we (or he) hoped. He was elevated to a status beyond his abilities and then this was used to hammer him when he (expectedly) decided he hadn't come to England to play in the second tier. We got decent money for him...which was largely wasted.

As DDW mentioned, his misses at Old Trafford meant we missed out on a decent result - we should have won that game.

Agreed. I would also add why do football fans in general take such a dislike to players who move to other football clubs.

Agreed. I would also add why do football fans in general take such a dislike to players who move to other football clubs.

It's not the moving that erks though Frank...Kightly is at the same level as Camara, for me. "We got the club relegated, we will stay and get us back into the Premier League".... "Oh, transfer away from this dump, yes please!"
Edit: Also the fact that Camara went on strike to manipulate the move

I certainly wouldn't put Kightly on the same level as Camara, although he did piss me off when he left.

At least he contributed fantastically in the promotion season. Camara decided to start trying after Christmas 2003 and chipped in with a few goals that couldn't prevent relegation anyway.

I certainly wouldn't put Kightly on the same level as Camara, although he did piss me off when he left.

At least he contributed fantastically in the promotion season. Camara decided to start trying after Christmas 2003 and chipped in with a few goals that couldn't prevent relegation anyway.

Kightly is as bad easily, Bought from non league and developed into a top championship player, Injured and we helped him through his extensive rehab, paid him for the privilege and then when hes fully fit he fucks off to Stoke. Fuck him

Kightly is as bad easily, Bought from non league and developed into a top championship player, Injured and we helped him through his extensive rehab, paid him for the privilege and then when hes fully fit he fucks off to Stoke. Fuck him
I don't see how him getting injured was his fault. To be treated for that injury is a basic right of any professional footballer's contract. He didn't owe us anything.

Without his contribution we may well have struggled to get promoted automatically in the first place.

I don't see how him getting injured was his fault. To be treated for that injury is a basic right of any professional footballer's contract. He didn't owe us anything.

Without his contribution we may well have struggled to get promoted automatically in the first place.
The way he left for a fraction of his worth because his contract was running down and he wouldn't sign a new one. He does have a right to treatment no issue there. But a bit of loyalty after saying he was going to stay and owed the club his career after all we did for him isn't too much to ask?

I agree that he didn't cover himself in glory with his manner of leaving, that's why I said I was pissed off at him.

I just can't put him in the same bracket as that cocky little rat Camara.

I agree that he didn't cover himself in glory with his manner of leaving, that's why I said I was pissed off at him.

I just can't put him in the same bracket as that cocky little rat Camara.

Too right, nowhere near the same as that spunk trumpet Camara.

The good times Kightly gave us VASTLY outweigh the bad.

With Camara, it was more of what he could have done, not just the manner he left - after giving us just a few months' decent service. I don't think the two are that comparable. I've no problems with Kightly - he was an exceptional signing.

I think the Lescotts of this world are the exception rather than the rule, got healthy after the 03/04 layoff and came back with the proviso of go up or he'd be off at the end of the season...

I see Wswolfs pov though. Yes Kightly put in some amazing performances, scored some great goals etc etc.
Where he really falls down for me, was the repeated comments/interviews he gave for over 2 years about couldn't wait to get back, repay the faith, repay the fans etc, whilst in the last 6 months I believe he was instigating his departure himself. I believe that long before relegation was confirmed he'd made his mind up to leave, and had started working on where he'd go.

The manner of his leaving, (and to go to stoke ffs) and how he conducted himself made me wonder which of his 2 faces his mum used to kiss when she put him to bed.

Personally I have no problem with players leaving. If they do not want to play for Wolves then so be it.

Back