• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich build-up

Intelligent football will always undo a McCarthy side. It didn't matter if his Wolves side were asked to press or sit deep in any given game, they never did so with any great organisation or discipline, we were always pulled around all over the place regardless.

After the last two games I'm not sure this current Wolves side will have it in them to do such a job on Ipswich though, it feels like they've bottled it with two very limp sounding performances so I don't expect them to suddenly regain their composure and pick off a McCarthy side built on spirit and workrate.

Intelligent football will always undo a McCarthy side. It didn't matter if his Wolves side were asked to press or sit deep in any given game, they never did so with any great organisation or discipline, we were always pulled around all over the place regardless.

After the last two games I'm not sure this current Wolves side will have it in them to do such a job on Ipswich though, it feels like they've bottled it with two very limp sounding performances so I don't expect them to suddenly regain their composure and pick off a McCarthy side built on spirit and workrate.

I think both Wolves and Ipswich have an over reliance on individual quality to the detriment of team ethics. I thought Wolves of last season were more intelligently set up than during this campaign, with more combination play going forward.

Away defeats against a local rival and against a team challenging for the top who have lost just one midweek fixture in six years are always a possibility. Our home record since Christmas is excellent so we should be going into the game with confidence. As regards to using Swansea as an example of how shit Micks teams were against an intelligent passing side makes me question what the final score was in that game. We're not Swansea, they aren't identical to how we were then so its all hypothetical bollocks.

I think both Wolves and Ipswich have an over reliance on individual quality to the detriment of team ethics. I thought Wolves of last season were more intelligently set up than during this campaign, with more combination play going forward.

I'd agree on the reliance on individuals, last season was the same before Christmas and I didn't see much of Wolves afterwards to know if it developed.

Away defeats against a local rival and against a team challenging for the top who have lost just one midweek fixture in six years are always a possibility. Our home record since Christmas is excellent so we should be going into the game with confidence. As regards to using Swansea as an example of how shit Micks teams were against an intelligent passing side makes me question what the final score was in that game. We're not Swansea, they aren't identical to how we were then so its all hypothetical bollocks.

So because it ended in a draw that means that Swansea didn't completely outplay Wolves for majority of the game? They fell apart when they made a needless change to their system and handed the iniative to Wolves.

At no point was it meant to be an exact comparison, merely an example of thought triumphing over workrate in a McCarthy based example, sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Responses to questions he was asked i would imagine, seem like standard answers to me.

I think the first ten minutes will be crucial. If we score, though, we are always in danger of conceding quickly. We need to play better than we have for a long time. Mick will want to shaft us for two reasons (obviously) so we will be under tremendous pressure. If Sako, KMac, Price, VLP and Dicko can play their 'Jeckylls' rather than their 'Hydes' then, with the momentum from our supporters, we will win.

I think it could be an end to end classic, very open with both sides looking to score goals. I hope the ref understands whats resting on this and keeps the game eleven v eleven.

I think it could be an end to end classic, very open with both sides looking to score goals. I hope the ref understands whats resting on this and keeps the game eleven v eleven.

I hope he keeps an eye on Berra and awards a penalty to us early on for him wrestling an attacker to the ground at a corner and cautions him!

Don't mention Berra, the fucker will score from a corner despite never, ever looking like scoring for us. He's been prolific by his standards for Ipswich.

He was never as frustrating for us as Paul Butler was though. He ALWAYS seemed to manage to head tamely wide from a corner. It felt like he did it every fucking time.

Don't mention Berra, the fucker will score from a corner despite never, ever looking like scoring for us. He's been prolific by his standards for Ipswich.

He was never as frustrating for us as Paul Butler was though. He ALWAYS seemed to manage to head tamely wide from a corner. It felt like he did it every fucking time!

Around the time that DJ said 'why practice corners when you're scoring plenty from open play' when asked why we hadn't scored from one in about a year. Christ he could be a fucking idiot at times.

Just about to leave New Street. brought my youngster Alfie to the game. It will be his first experience of the South Bank and he's really looking forward to it

Just about to leave New Street. brought my youngster Alfie to the game. It will be his first experience of the South Bank and he's really looking forward to it

Hope he has a truly memorable experience matey! Like Langers daughter, lets pray he's the lucky omen!

Have we ever won one of these early Saturday kick offs, all I can remember is us losing or drawing.

Edwards playing central midfield instead of price. That could go wrong

Yep, have my reservations. Edwards has never been effective in a midfield two for me.

Back