• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ipswich build-up

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Back to 4-4-2 surely, quite obviously we need to win. Same as the last month or so, the team is pretty obvious bar the interchangeable right wing options.

2014/15: L 1-2 (A)
2012/13: L 0-2 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2008/9: D 0-0 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2007/8: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2006/7: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2005/6: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2004/5: W 2-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2002/3: D 1-1 (H), W 4-2 (A)
1999/0: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1998/9: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
1997/8: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
1996/7: D 0-0 (H), D 0-0 (A)
1995/6: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
1993/4: D 1-1 (H, FAC), W 2-1 (A, FAC)

Not beaten them at home since.....Mick's first home game. Bothroyd screamer, Cort sent off before half time and an amazing performance from Murray including a penalty save.

Said it on the Boro verdict thread, playing a Mick McCarthy team is the last thing we need right now.

They'll get after McDonald and pressure us high up the pitch. Can see a few more defensive howlers on the cards unfortunately.

Milestone game this one: my daughter's first match!

I'm attending with both sprogs which will be interesting. I hope she enjoys it as much as her big brother seems to.

Milestone game this one: my daughter's first match!

I'm attending with both sprogs which will be interesting. I hope she enjoys it as much as her big brother seems to.

Brilliant stuff don't think the memory of your first game ever leaves you.

Lycan and I are of the same opinion - a MM team will bully us and we will more than likely fold based on recent evidence!

4-4-2 might not be the perfect formation for us but it does allow our best players to all be on the pitch at the same time. Goldbourne in for Hause and I would probably start with Henry on the right, mainly because VLP is a more obvious impact substitute due to his pace.

Before I say this I must make you aware that Pilkoman has not stolen my log in!

442 with the obvious team, but I would be tempted to play Doherty at right back. Iorfa is by far the better defender, but at the moment Doherty is better going forwards....or at least in end product. We are in shit or bust territory so I want to see us really take the game to them, so just for these 3 games I'd play him. It's not like Stephen Hunt is going to give anyone a roasting so I think it's worth the risk.

I also want to see McDonald higher up the pitch than he was at Blues and not holding hands with Price in front of the defence. Play like we did against Derby at home and really go at them, yes that may leave us open, but I'd rather lose going for it than be cagey and hope for the best.

An early goal would be ideal in this one.

If Ipswich score first I can see the atmosphere getting slightly ugly.

MM knows to keep the crowd quiet for 30 minutes and get the crowd/players edgy - and look for a counter attack. this is the one match we don't really want !!

MM I just as capable of tactically fucking things up as KJ is we all know that, they'll be just as nervous as we are.
Man for man I don't think Ipswich are any better than us.
I'd revert back to the starting 11 against blues it's our best side and will cause them problems at the back.

Dreading this one to be honest. Hope we do ourselves justice and play like we know we can.

The last game as big as this MM had was Blackburn at home in the PL and he royally fucked that up. I'd be delighted with a 3-2 and a late Hunt consolation goal. We have better players than Ipswich if we take the game to them.

The last game as big as this MM had was Blackburn at home in the PL and he royally fucked that up. I'd be delighted with a 3-2 and a late Hunt consolation goal. We have better players than Ipswich if we take the game to them.

Was thinking exactly this. He regularly fucked up the big games and then we got lucky beating the big clubs.

An early goal would be ideal in this one.

If Ipswich score first I can see the atmosphere getting slightly ugly.

If we lose the last three games the players/management still need tremendous credit for what they have given us this season. I can't see the crowd, who have been magnificent of late, turning things ugly.

Hi guys - we're really dreading/excited about/pessimistic/optimistic (delete as applicable) this game. We turned Cardiff over 3-1 last night with a superb performance, yet lost at 'Uddersfield 2-1 on Easter Monday with a limp and lacklustre display. God knows which Ipswich will turn up on Saturday. And I'm sure Mick does. It's whether we perform that is key.

Stephen Hunt hopefully won't be in the side - he was crap last night and subbed. Berra still kicks funny, but is otherwise solid in defence and him, Tommy Smith, Chambers and Mings are a decent unit at the back.

We're susceptible to pace, but then we played away at Watford and looked cohesive up against Deeney and Vydra, so who knows? With possible play-off success dependent upon this game (win, Brentford lose and we go 6 clear with 6 points left to play for), I'm hopeful we'll put a shift in. May the best team win.

I can't wait to see afobe, dicko, sako and Vlp running at Berra. Make him turn, then wander past him. We have to attack this lot, not play a cautious game.

A bit of thought is usually enough to break down a McCarthy side, we saw it often enough ourselves in the PL years, that home game against Swansea always at the fore of my memory as everyone was suckered into pressing high and that just saw them get cut to ribbons by a few simple passes.

Question is, has this Wolves side got the brains to do a similar job on Ipswich if they make that move?

Mick had told the players to sit off Swansea. Problems with that a) we were at home to a newly promoted side b) fans got on players backs for doing so after less than ten minutes c) players weren't disciplined nor mobile enough to do what was being asked of them.

Listening to the fans in that game made me feel ashamed.

Back