• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

We never do massive January business, I don't know why people are expecting any different. I'll judge them next summer, no major business then and that will be their hand well and truly shown.
You're right, but the expectation is heightened because of the limited work we did in the summer, understandably so.

We need to do something we haven't been doing and that's making the squad better each window. We've got away with standing still for a while now but it will catch up with us sooner or later.

The biggest problem I think we'll have in the short to medium term is replacing Raul as he's getting older. It doesn't look like it's Silva at the moment unfortunately

I wouldn't say Jeff and Fosun have covered themselves in glory in recent seasons, and I've been critical of our transfer windows since before it was acceptable, but there's a danger of over-egging the criticism, surely.

It's hardly Mike Ashley levels, or that the club is a basket case, and we've been pretty solidly mid-table since promotion (sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower).

I agree that by the end of the summer we need to stop treading water in many aspects though

The concern going forward that every single member of the executive team (we don't have a board as such) is at least two levels above their natural pay grade.

Jeff knows fuck all about football (he isn't the overlord that Jinky says he is, but he isn't really fit for purpose without support)
Sellars has a grounding in Academy football, not senior football. So shouldn't be even nominally overseeing recruitment
Matt Wild and Russell Jones are lightweights, they don't belong at this level
Vinny Clark is a complete chancer and an even bigger cunt, I have no idea how he has this role, it isn't even his background

That's a line up I'd expect of a low end Championship or high end League One club. Not one of the 10 best teams in the country, which we probably are, just about.

Yep, wheel out some poor schmuck to deliver the shitiest news we have, then put him back under wraps. He delivered a poor message to the best of his very limited ability, classic management from the dictatorial handbook.

Shi isn't the club, he is running this for group and as such is employed to maximise the investment.

I'm not complaining as this the best time in my 41 years to be a wolves fan, it just stinks, but then all football stinks, it tends to follow money around.

If Jeff is just following orders re budget, which I agree he is, then his job is to finesse that message. He's doing that very badly, not unlike someone else at the forefront of our minds at the moment lying, deceit and taking people for fools is the default strategy

Yes, he needs to manage PR much better.

What he doesn't do is decide on his own who we do and don't sign, which for some reason some people have decided is the case.

Yes, he needs to manage PR much better.

What he doesn't do is decide on his own who we do and don't sign, which for some reason some people have decided is the case.
He may not identify the target but it will be his name on the cheque and if he doesn't want to do something the club won't do it.

The whole thing was a debacle, not one of them came out well.

Vinny lying about ticket prices and comparisons to other clubs, Jeff lying about FFP and talking about Fabio in those terms, Russell Jones saying that "actually Mexicans do have Wolves as their first team" and the insinuations that these people were more important than those of us who go every week, take your pick.

I'm amazed they actually sent it out, it's Ratner levels of shooting yourself in the foot. And again, some people might forget, others don't.

As soon as he makes his ridiculous Fabio statements, then that's coming right onto his lap
There was just no need for them either, all it was ever going to do was put pressure on the player.

Interestingly, i think Fabio is the first Wolves player i can remember whose ability has reduced whilst not playing. Usually in the minds of fans the longer a player is injured/out of favour, the better they get!

The concern going forward that every single member of the executive team (we don't have a board as such) is at least two levels above their natural pay grade.

Jeff knows fuck all about football (he isn't the overlord that Jinky says he is, but he isn't really fit for purpose without support)
Sellars has a grounding in Academy football, not senior football. So shouldn't be even nominally overseeing recruitment
Matt Wild and Russell Jones are lightweights, they don't belong at this level
Vinny Clark is a complete chancer and an even bigger cunt, I have no idea how he has this role, it isn't even his background

That's a line up I'd expect of a low end Championship or high end League One club. Not one of the 10 best teams in the country, which we probably are, just about.
In fairness, I know I’ve been extremely critical of Shi and I stick by that, but it was the big man Johnny who said -

“There's certainly been a change of strategy and it stems from Shi as he has the ultimate say-so in all transfers”

and on the evidence available, it’s very difficult to disagree with that.

He is the bottom line, I agree with that. And he shouldn't have appointed the people he has.

He's not the reason we didn't sign Sven Botman though. Look higher. A lot higher.

In fairness, I know I’ve been extremely critical of Shi and I stick by that, but it was the big man Johnny who said -

“There's certainly been a change of strategy and it stems from Shi as he has the ultimate say-so in all transfers”

and on the evidence available, it’s very difficult to disagree with that.
I wouldn't think shi has the ultimate say at all on transfers In the Fosun group Wolves is pretty small fry Shi will need approval for outlays of tens of millions

Want to be clear that I'm not disagreeing with you guys here.

But damn, Shi and the "board" (such as it is) are such a downer of a topic. Don't know how you guys have the energy to go through it so often.

He is the bottom line, I agree with that. And he shouldn't have appointed the people he has.

He's not the reason we didn't sign Sven Botman though. Look higher. A lot higher.
I don't think this is true. Wolves are a multi million pounds company but Jeff is the CEO and had been trusted by Guo to be in charge of wolves.

I can't imagine a billionaire who has huge amount of investments and companies has time to vet every purchase in all of them.

Back