• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Just how good were/was/is/are (Wolves Edition)

Ahh the semi final, I was traipsing around Brentwood looking for a pub that would a) serve a 17 year old and b) have the game on.

Think I gave up in the end and ended up watching it back at my digs.

Re Keane he was some player, I always looked out for him during his career, thought him and Berbotov (sp) had a great partnership at times.

I even forgive him for grassing on my mate in o'Niels and getting him kicked out!

Him, Naylor and Muscat were thick as thieves around 98/99. Always out in town.

That's a very high bar. Hoddle's midfield against United was an obviously terrible idea but the stakes weren't as high.

You can pick any number of Saunders teams and performances but I didn't expect any better off him. Although his "effort" vs Cardiff when he was too scared to make a decision at centre half and threw the game as a result was a serious low point.

It was the first real “event” game I’d seen us in, and I felt we had a shot at beating arsenal. I now understand bully had a knock, but at the time, leaving Keane and bull on the bench and playing shite like claridge and slater just felt like we didn’t even try to win it. Massive anti climax and huge disappointment.

Keith Curle loved the Canal on a thursday night (mind you so did I) Goodman too, can't remember the others I used to see there but there was always a group of 3 or 4.

Keane was stood on the stairs at O'Neil with a gaggle of birds around him, my mate went up and asked him "excuse me, are you Robbie Keane the wolves striker" he replied in a cool way "yeah, that's me" "well do you mind fucking off from the stairs, I'm trying to get past for a piss!"

On his way out the bogs he got his collar grabbed and checked out bythe bouncers. To be fair looking back it wasn't that funny but at the time as immature as we were we found it hilarious.

It was the first real “event” game I’d seen us in, and I felt we had a shot at beating arsenal. I now understand bully had a knock, but at the time, leaving Keane and bull on the bench and playing shite like claridge and slater just felt like we didn’t even try to win it. Massive anti climax and huge disappointment.

Such a shit goal to concede as well. There's 3-4 horrible bits in about 10 seconds. Arsenal weren't even that good on the day.

Keith Curle loved the Canal on a thursday night (mind you so did I) Goodman too, can't remember the others I used to see there but there was always a group of 3 or 4.

Keane was stood on the stairs at O'Neil with a gaggle of birds around him, my mate went up and asked him "excuse me, are you Robbie Keane the wolves striker" he replied in a cool way "yeah, that's me" "well do you mind fucking off from the stairs, I'm trying to get past for a piss!"

On his way out the bogs he got his collar grabbed and checked out bythe bouncers. To be fair looking back it wasn't that funny but at the time as immature as we were we found it hilarious.

Harsh!

I miss O'Neill's, good boozer. Flares (where I also saw Robbie a number of times), not so much :icon_lol:

Flares was sort of end of the strip, where you enter desperate town! Met some fookin weirdos in there.

Had some great nights in O'Neils, although space was always an issue. Town is proper shit these days (obviously precovid) too many knobbers about

O'Neill's, Flares, Edward's, Light Bar was the standard 90s/00s trail.

If I were on my own I'd go to that shit Irish bar that is now Paddy Power. The one where I saw Keet Andrews at 3pm on a Saturday bemoaning why he wasn't in the team. Yeah, I wonder mate.

I just tutted and rolled my eyes.

Darren Ferguson is the only Wolves player I've ever abused face to face. I don't regret that.

Such a shit goal to concede as well. There's 3-4 horrible bits in about 10 seconds. Arsenal weren't even that good on the day.

Harsh!

I miss O'Neill's, good boozer. Flares (where I also saw Robbie a number of times), not so much :icon_lol:
Froggatt had Grimandi on toast, skinned him easy once. Felt like we never gave him the ball again.

Felt like such an anticliamax.

I'm with you Dan, he changed, he was more of a number 10/free role player with us who turned into a poacher as you say. Definitely better for his career as it's easier to fit a player like that in rather than what he was, but he could have been different.

I was at Carrow Road for his debut sat a couple of seats away from a soon departing Neil Emblen. Keane was sensational that day, probably the best full debuts from a new player ever (Darren Roberts against Blues maybe?)

More recent but I remember being shocked how good Fletcher was on his debut first day of the season against...Stoke?

Yeah, we played really well that day. Jones with a great free kick.

I think Curle's first start was vs Albion in January (came on at Oxford early in the season but I didn't go to that one). Straight away improved everything.

Yes it was. Fletcher with a debut goal too. More exciting than the Stoke game the year before!

That was a great game, really thought we were going places.

On the debut theme I really thought Shaun Bradbury was going to be great - 2 goals on his debut, which was last game of the old South Bank IIRC. Don’t think he played for us again :)

That was a great game, really thought we were going places.

Didn't we start off 2011/2012 with two wins and two clean sheets? Not exactly a portent of things to come that season.

Back