• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Just how good were/was/is/are (Wolves Edition)

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Same as the other two threads. If you know, you know.

To kick off, I'm going to let the oldies play.

1. Dave Wagstaffe

David Wagstaffe (5 April 1943 – 6 August 2013) was an English professional footballer who played as a left winger.

Born in Openshaw, Manchester, Wagstaffe played in England and the United States for Manchester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Los Angeles Wolves, Blackburn Rovers and Blackpool.

Having signed for Wolves on Boxing Day in 1964, Wagstaffe went on to play 404 league and cup games for the club, placing him in the top 15 all-time appearance makers for Wolves. Although not a prolific goal scorer, he won Match of the Day's goal of the month in 1971 for a 35-yard shot as Wolves went on to beat Arsenal 5–1, as well as scoring in the second leg of the UEFA Cup Final against Tottenham Hotspur the same year.

Wagstaffe featured in the Wolves side that were competing in the United States of America in the inaugural United Soccer Association league as Los Angeles Wolves in 1967. The LA Wolves went on to win the Western Division, finally beating the Washington Whips (represented by Aberdeen) in the final. During his time in the United States, Wagstaffe was visited by boyhood friend Davy Jones, lead singer of The Monkees who he had played street football with as a boy. Jack Kent Cooke, a cable television entrepreneur and owner of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team who had bought the LA Wolves franchise for $250,000, asked Wagstaffe to move to the United States and join his potential business as potential face of American soccer, but after returning to Wolverhampton, Wagstaffe decided against pursuing the opportunity.

Whilst at Blackburn Rovers on 2 October 1976, Wagstaffe was the first player in English football to receive a red card.

Despite Wagstaffe's talent, he was never capped for England, though he was selected to play on the left wing in the Football League versus the Scottish League match at Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough, in 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDJbs8YkxOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_GbMrBCIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvdavlK-mP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtcYnI9CQs

Brilliant player - put the hairs on the back of your neck up as Adama seems to now as you know that something might well happen

Should have been capped

cracking idea! I am just about too young to remember waggy. However I did play him at bowls a few years ago!
for all his footballing ability, things between him and the club certainly soured.

See, this is the oldies for you.

Any voting thread "wah wah wah, this player was miles better, you're too young to remember him, it's not fair, he should be miles higher".

Give them a platform to talk about a supposedly brilliant player - you get 29 words.

You have until 8pm to sort it out or I'm just going to pick someone that the forum will actually talk about.

Whoa hold on there, just a minute, I'm 54 , I was 10 when he left for Blackburn, things I know about him, I learn it from his book (Manuel voice) :)

Can't add anything on Waggy as he was before my time unfortunately, would have loved to have seen him play as from the few clips I've seen of him on old videos he was a proper crowd pleaser. Too many players fall into that category, it's times like these I get very jealous of Parkin :D

Waggy was my first favourite player when I started supporting Wolves, mainly cos he was a left winger and I fancied myself in that position, problem was I wasn't quick, skilful or athletic enough.
He is still my all time favourite player, probably rose tinted specs but I don't care. One of my earliest memories is his thunderbastard against Arsenal in the 5-1 thrashing in the snow. Lied to Mcgarry about his fitness to get in the 74 League Cup team so didn't have his best game but glad he got his winners medal at Wembley.
In my mind i always remember him as an archetypal winger, hugging the touchline and banging in crosses, which he did of course but watching archive videos of him recently was surprised to see how often he came from deep and also popped up on the right. His book is worth a read.....but I would say that wouldn't I?

Similarly to Paul, I can't really remember him that well as I was 11 when he left. Isn't the rumour that Revie tried to bribe him to have a poor game to assist Leeds in winning the title and he went on to play a blinder?
I had him in a Topps football card, I know that much.

Similarly to Paul, I can't really remember him that well as I was 11 when he left. Isn't the rumour that Revie tried to bribe him to have a poor game to assist Leeds in winning the title and he went on to play a blinder?
I had him in a Topps football card, I know that much.

Dunno about Waggy being offered a bribe but supposedly Frank Munro was offered cash by Billy Bremner to throw the game

Can't believe I'm the only old git that saw Waggy play on this forum.....come on you old bastards, get your act together

Can't believe I'm the only old git that saw Waggy play on this forum.....come on you old bastards, get your act together

You are not - Waggy had the ability to ghost past players as if they weren't there (though not sure he was the quickest player to ever be out on the pitch) & put in a cross that just all the CF had to do was be there where it was going to arrive at

Waggy took third place in my young affections after The Doog and Frank Munro. He could run with the ball at his feet, shoot, usually after cutting in from the left wing, and cross accurately most often onto Doog's head. His other speciality in training, apparently, was to place the ball on the centre spot and hit it onto the crossbar as they do on Soccer AM. Apart from the UEFA Cup and 1974 League Cup finals, two games that stick in my memory are the Arsenal one in the last clip and a 4-2 win at The Hawthorns when he scored at least a couple. Doug Fraser, the usual right back, was injured or suspended so they played Johnny Kaye, normally a centre half, in his place and Wagstaffe ran rings round him. My dad said at the time, and to be honest says it every time we talk about the game, that it's a wonder Waggy didn't trip over Kaye's tongue, as it was dragging on the floor by the end of the game.

My English teacher, a chap by the name of Sam Cullen who was a Man City fan, said he was the best player he had ever seen. Possibly this was to keep in with a class mostly full of Wolves fans. He'd seen him at City, and said that he would occasionally go to a game at Molineux just to see him.

I'm not sure he would adapt well to today's game. He would rarely come back to defend, and despite his physical capabilities never seemed particularly fit. He liked his beer and fags as well.

There - that's at least 200 words. OK, it took me half an hour to write, but I have lost a few brain cells by this stage of life.

He certainly wasn't the only player of that era to enjoy a drink and a cigarette. Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, George Best, etc, etc. Maybe someone could compile an alcoholics eleven.

Roy Carroll
Gary Charles Tony Adams Paul McGrath Ken Sansom
Paul Merson Paul Gascoigne George Best.
Garrincha Malcolm MacDonald Jimmy Greaves

Decent side!

Wagstaffe was a superb player what a left foot, him Dougan and Richard's were lethal. No player could give him a yard because he would put a cross right on Dougans.

I would place him as our third best wide player behind Hancock and Mullen, however that may change with Traore, if he keeps this up over the next 2 or 3 seasons, not sure he will ever match Mullen or Hancock.
Wagstaffe was a really nice guy and incredible winger.
As has been said he probably could have scored a few more but he really was the feed Gordon and Richards.

Back