• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
I'm not sure this has been discussed before, but thought it might be interesting to find out more on people's memories of their first experience of watching Wolves live?

My first ever game was on 5th January 1991 - I'd have been 6 years old. We lost 1-0 to Cambridge United in a 3rd round FA Cup fixture (start as you mean to go on!). Their winning goal was scored by Chris Leadbitter & Wiki reliably informs me there was 15,100 in attendance.

I remember walking out and my dad apologising to me that we hadn't scored but he told me to get used to it! We finished 15th in the old second division that year.

What memories do others have of their first Wolves match?

Just done some digging Saturday 6th February 1988 Wolves 1-4 Cardiff.

V Stockport. 16th January 1988

Drew 1-1. Thumping header from Nigel Vaughan

It was foggy as well. Couldn't see the half way line and not sure how the the Stockport fans even knew they had scored since both of them were sat in Bilston. Apparently Frank Worthington scored for them

Just looked up the game as I am not Deutsch so the date was not fixed in my memory and found this interesting stat

Landmark: Nigel Vaughan makes her 400th League appearance.

Reading at home, 3rd September 1988.

Billy Whitehurst gave them the lead in the first half, we came back after half time with a Phil Chard penalty and a Robbie Dennison header (yes really) and won 2-1.

10,513 the crowd. Went with my Dad and my Grandad.

Friendly against Liverpool at home. Lost 3-0. 2001 I think.

For some reason I remember the goal coming apart. But no idea if 5/6 year old me made that up.

V Stockport. 16th January 1988

Drew 1-1. Thumping header from Nigel Vaughan

It was foggy as well. Couldn't see the half way line and not sure how the the Stockport fans even knew they had scored since both of them were sat in Bilston. Apparently Frank Worthington scored for them

Just looked up the game as I am not Deutsch so the date was not fixed in my memory and found this interesting stat

Landmark: Nigel Vaughan makes her 400th League appearance.
Worthington claimed it was one of best goals of his career but nobody saw it!

I only realised that they'd scored/equalised(?) when their players came back over the half way line ready for the kick off.

Mine was the Norwich game when Muscat did Bellamy. Keane scored two I think.

I remember walking out and my dad apologising to me that we hadn't scored but he told me to get used to it! We finished 15th in the old second division that year.
12th ;)

After we got promoted in 1989 we didn't finish in the bottom half of the second tier until 1995/96 (20th).

Wolves vs Southampton on Boxing Day 1979, 0-0. Can remember very little apart from arriving in Wolverhampton and seeing all the gold shirts around and how exciting it all felt

Paul BradshawPeter Wells
George BerryDave Watson
John McAlleChris Nicholl
Geoffrey PalmerIvan Golac
Colin BrazierDavid Peach
Willie CarrAlan Ball
Kenny HibbittSteve Williams
Peter DanielNick Holmes
Andy GrayTrevor Hebberd
John RichardsPhil Boyer
Melvyn EvesMick Channon
John BarnwellLawrie McMenemy

Reading at home, 3rd September 1988.

Billy Whitehurst gave them the lead in the first half, we came back after half time with a Phil Chard penalty and a Robbie Dennison header (yes really) and won 2-1.

10,513 the crowd. Went with my Dad and my Grandad.
I wish I could find out who was in our starting 11 for these games but I can't seem to find anything online anywhere? Comparing the 80's/90's line ups to what we have now would be a fairly comical exercise.

12th ;)

After we got promoted in 1989 we didn't finish in the bottom half of the second tier until 1995/96 (20th).
I knew it was 12th and have no idea why I put 15th - more coffee required!

12th ;)

Are you sitting there, translating away, minding your own business and then get a feeling "someone has just got a Wolves Stat wrong" and that's it, need to find it and put them straight? :D

Most annoying thing about the 87/88 season I was deemed to young to go to Wembley. Remember us dropping my dad, uncle and grandad off at Sainsbury’s car park on Perton to get the mini bus to London at the crack of dawn. I was promised I would be going after we beat Torquay on the first leg the next year then Hansbury happened at Molineux in the return leg.

8000 odd with me and of course the majority of that stood behind me and for someone who had never been to a live game before the noise when we scored was equally brilliant and terrifying!

Are you sitting there, translating away, minding your own business and then get a feeling "someone has just got a Wolves Stat wrong" and that's it, need to find it and put them straight? :D
I'm not actually working today so people had better STOP GETTING WOLVES WRONG.

The first game I remember is Feb '98 v Sunderland, I think they scored towards the end. My dad had taken me to a few more before that game though but I was a little bit too young at that point.

Think we left at half time in my first game because I was bored :ROFLMAO:

I wish I could find out who was in our starting 11 for these games but I can't seem to find anything online anywhere? Comparing the 80's/90's line ups to what we have now would be a fairly comical exercise.

Dive into this website and you will find everything you need I think

Most annoying thing about the 87/88 season I was deemed to young to go to Wembley. Remember us dropping my dad, uncle and grandad off at Sainsbury’s car park on Perton to get the mini bus to London at the crack of dawn. I was promised I would be going after we beat Torquay on the first leg the next year then Hansbury happened at Molineux in the return leg.
To add it dawned on me a few years later all my elder relatives wanted to enjoy their day filled with alcohol and not have the responsibility of keeping an eye on a 7 year old

Wolves 0 - 5 Barnsley in 1991

I saw possibly the worst own goal scored I've seen, which I don't think has been bettered (worsened?) since.

Back