• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Jeez, what were you 2/3?
I was 5! Didn't go to another game for a long time after that one, the next game I remember seeing was against a Stoke team that I think had Alan Hudson and Jimmy Greenhoff playing for them. That memory might be off though.

Yup the Enclosure was where I was parked at the Mol until I was old enough to go into the North Bank.

And I was also there in the Enclosure for THAT Wolves v Leeds game back in 1972 - probably the most electric atmosphere I have ever experienced at the ground.
Unbelievable atmosphere, it wasn,'t a game it was a war as far as the wolves fans were concerned.

Unbelievable atmosphere, it wasn,'t a game it was a war as far as the wolves fans were concerned.
I think that's why I didn't go to a game for a long while after that one: I have recollections of seeing fans being led along the side of the pitch past the Family Enclosure, many with blood pouring from injuries to their heads and faces. It might only have been 1 or 2, but my child brain was shocked.

And only 5 days earlier was the 1st leg of the UEFA Cup Final vs Spurs where again the atmosphere at the ground was unbelievable.

So in less than a week, in two games, Wolves were playing off in a European final and were deciding the title.

I've always wondered what if the scores in the games were reversed ie Wolves beat Spurs but lost to Leeds . . . although in both games Wolves were the better team.

And only 5 days earlier was the 1st leg of the UEFA Cup Final vs Spurs where again the atmosphere at the ground was unbelievable.

So in less than a week, in two games, Wolves were playing off in a European final and were deciding the title.

I've always wondered what if the scores in the games were reversed ie Wolves beat Spurs but lost to Leeds . . . although in both games Wolves were the better team.
How the f*** we lost that final to spurs will always mystify me, we were much the better side in both legs.

Phil Parkes...

Oh and a certain Martin fucking Chivers...
A bit tough on Lofty.

Maybe for Chivers first goal but the second you'd have to put your hand up and say what a goal from Martin fucking Chivers.

It was the best goal I ever saw at the Mol from an opposing team.

As usual, I might be way wrong here, but wasn't there a game, probably late 60's where there was a lot of crowd trouble, gangs rampaging, shop windows smashed and I think a car turned over?

March 1972 v Juventus, we won 2-1. Wagstaffe was brilliant that day; afterwards he revealed that the inside of his cheeks were cut to ribbon from the numbers of elbows he was getting in the face.

Went to a few when I was very little that I can barely remember but my first proper one was against Chelsea at Molineux, it was a night game and would have been around 1978. I stood at the front of the North Bank just to the right of goal, we lost one nil to a Tommy Langley (I think) goal at our end.
Just before the end the Chelsea lot got in the back of the north bank and it caused an almighty crush, loads of us went over the top and I ended up on the pitch with many others. My old man then marched us over to the Chelsea bench and had a heated altercation with them before shoving us out through some door in the Waterloo road stand, I was terrified, nearly wouldn’t go after that and always winced when I heard the wooden steps rumbling, thought it was Chelsea coming back. 😳

March 1972 v Juventus, we won 2-1. Wagstaffe was brilliant that day; afterwards he revealed that the inside of his cheeks were cut to ribbon from the numbers of elbows he was getting in the face.

I hope someone told you early on it wouldn't always be that good 😂

Went to a few when I was very little that I can barely remember but my first proper one was against Chelsea at Molineux, it was a night game and would have been around 1978. I stood at the front of the North Bank just to the right of goal, we lost one nil to a Tommy Langley (I think) goal at our end.
Just before the end the Chelsea lot got in the back of the north bank and it caused an almighty crush, loads of us went over the top and I ended up on the pitch with many others. My old man then marched us over to the Chelsea bench and had a heated altercation with them before shoving us out through some door in the Waterloo road stand, I was terrified, nearly wouldn’t go after that and always winced when I heard the wooden steps rumbling, thought it was Chelsea coming back. 😳

A coincidence, as my YouTube rabbit hole came up with this the other day.

I was at that game. In the North Bonk, ended up on the pitch caused by the surge from the top of the terracing.

Back