• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Never been to England yet to see Wolves in person:cry:

However, I was in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago to watch a Wolves team play in the 7v7 tournament down there and got to talk to Scott Golbourne for a few minutes.

Does that count?
Gotta take your interaction where you can get it mate.

My first game was a 2-0 home win over Charlton. Mid 60's. Can't seem to find a date.

Didn't beat them 2-0 at any point in the 1960s

30 Jan 1960 W 2-1
13 Nov 1965 D 2-2
1 Oct 1966 W 1-0

Then didn't play them at home until 1976

Pompey at home, think it was early 92. I'm sure it was 0 - 0 and we may have had a goal disallowed.

Been trying to work mine out, seems it was later than I thought. I think it was against Spurs 1971, drew 2-2. Can't remember who scored....Curran and Gould? Can't find who it was.
Next game was against Everton same year, they had Alan Ball.
Highlight that year was beating Arsenal 5-1.

Didn't beat them 2-0 at any point in the 1960s

30 Jan 1960 W 2-1
13 Nov 1965 D 2-2
1 Oct 1966 W 1-0

Then didn't play them at home until 1976
That’s what happens to your memory at 66! I guess it was the Oct 66 1-0. Maybe VAR was involved in the other goal I thought I saw……

Tracked this down as best i can, for a chap my age.
Dad and big brother both big baggies fans, took me, age 5/6 to the hawthorns to watch my first ever pro footie match, 1968.
I loved wolves colours and we won 3-0, kinda fucked up their plans to make me a baggie fan, been wolves ever since. 🤣

Well found this thread so I thought I'd give it a go.

First game . . . way way way back on August 26th, 1967 at Molineux where Wolves entertained Leeds United, and Dad took me along as a special treat.

I always remember I was utterly gobsmacked at the noise and size of the crowd (around 35K) packed into the stadium.

I was only 6 and i still have numerous memories of the game where The Doog scored twice as Wolves won 2-0. I was hooked as a Wolves fan and with Derek Dougan being my favourite player for all-time.

Well found this thread so I thought I'd give it a go.

First game . . . way way way back on August 26th, 1967 at Molineux where Wolves entertained Leeds United, and Dad took me along as a special treat.

I always remember I was utterly gobsmacked at the noise and size of the crowd (around 35K) packed into the stadium.

I was only 6 and i still have numerous memories of the game where The Doog scored twice as Wolves won 2-0. I was hooked as a Wolves fan and with Derek Dougan being my favourite player for all-time.

I spent a week with Derek Dougan in the late 80s. He was an "interesting" man.

I spent a week with Derek Dougan in the late 80s. He was an "interesting" man.
When i worked at beacon, I did a bonfire night superstars event at aldersley stadium with him, hugh porter, martin cooper, and i think trevor east from tiswas.
Doog was my big hero up to that night but he turned out to be quite a prick, or as rachel heyhoe flint called him to his face, a tight fisted, egotistical asshole.
I still like her 🤣

A whole week? Doing what? Sounds interesting/ominous..
I was part of a group of school/college kids who walked from Manchester to Dudley for the Duncan Edwards Sports Injury Clinic - apparently to raise money...turns out we were raising money but not necessarily for the Clinic.

I was old enough to drink, spent a few evenings getting tanked in various hotel bars with him. With hindsight, he is not someone I would spend time with.

I was part of a group of school/college kids who walked from Manchester to Dudley for the Duncan Edwards Sports Injury Clinic - apparently to raise money...turns out we were raising money but not necessarily for the Clinic.

I was old enough to drink, spent a few evenings getting tanked in various hotel bars with him. With hindsight, he is not someone I would spend time with.
Wasn't most of the £90k raised 'absorbed' by expenses?

I'm in quite a narrow corridor who can't remember him as a player, but can as the public front of the Bhattis, so I have the sourness without the positivity when I think about him

There's also a weird substrata of people who never watched him play but adore him as if they did, which is extremely odd.

I never saw John Richards play but he was a pretty rubbish MD in my time.

There's also a weird substrata of people who never watched him play but adore him as if they did, which is extremely odd.

I never saw John Richards play but he was a pretty rubbish MD in my time.
Mmmm, That's a shame! I remember seeing all the fun stuff with Richards and Dougan but remember little about the Dougan and Richards as the MD. Living in Stockport (Not having access to the E&S) missed a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.
Though I do remember (Dan, are you paying attention...?) Richards was at the helm when we sold Robbie Keane without putting a fantastic sell on clause into the contract...
But watching the honest and hard working Richards tearing into opposing defences, feeding off the delicate nods and flicks from Dougan and watching him (Dougan) running in and smashing the ball past forlorn keepers, is a sustaining memory I'll not lose.

Back