• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Carlisle United, January 14th 1967, I was 6. It was 1 - 1, Ernie Hunt scored for us and they equalised with a few minutes to go. I stood in the enclosure with my Dad.

If I recall correctly (too lazy to look it up properly 1st 3 websites couldn't give me team members and one couldn't even say which ground it was played on!) But I think Ernie Hunt was playing that day, we wore the round black collar those days and Dougan was playing and scored!!
Were those the days when we had 1 leaping Wolf jumping over the W?

No idea. My Dad is pretty sure I would have seen Bully, just about. Genuinely had no interest until later on - most I remember is singing "ohhh you fat pasty" at keepers with my little mate, thinking we were well funny.

Saturday Nov 26th 1988 v Preston. Won 6-0

2nd game was Dec 17 1988 v Mansfield Won 6-2

3rd game Feb 11 1989 v Fulham Won 5-2

4th game May 9th 1989 v Sheff Utd Drew 2-2 and won the league

I was young, I thought it would always be like that….

Leicester away would have been October 1990. We lost one nil to a David Kelly goal I think.

First home game I remember was beating Bristol City 4-0. Bully hattrick. Early on in the 1990/91 season.

First away was Port Vale when De Wolf scored a hattrick.

First home game I remember was beating Bristol City 4-0. Bully hattrick. Early on in the 1990/91 season.

Didn't they tout that at the time as 'The Wembley of the North'

The development of Vale Park became known as 'The Wembley of the North' due to the proposed size of the stadium which included an 80,000 capacity with room for 1,000 parked cars. Of course, it never happened.

16 February 1974. Home to Birmingham and win 1-0 with a Kenny Hibbitt penalty. I remember Gordon Taylor was playing for them. My other memory was the linesman was running on the pitch rather than outside the line which generated some pretty strong language from a lot of North Bankers. The programme was much smaller than normal as the three day week was in operation - probably still got it in the loft.

In the South Bank in 1977 beat Fulham 5-1, Steve Daley & Kenny Hibbitt got 2 each & John Richards the other.
Remember Richards goal from a corner in the 1st half (rest of goals were scored at the other end) & George Best hitting the post for them.

Was that the hat trick where Bully scored the third from just outside the area and it went through the keeper’s legs?

Leaping over 2!

View attachment 7590

Ernie Hunt had moved on from Wolves before we adopted this badge.
Ah ok. I remember seeing a photo of Dougan wearing that badge and I know he played and scored in that game, but obviously if that badge came out in 70, I suppose it was the old badge in 67...

I think mine was an evening match in October, I think v Arsenal.
I certainly remember walking around the corner before going down to the underpass then seeing the floodlights and I stopped to take it in...
then couldn't believe walking up to the back of the south bank stand, a patchwork of corrugated sheets about as big as a house, massively unimpressed...
Until I got in and stood there in amazement at the gorgeous emerald green pitch lit by the floodlights, stunned by it all!
Probably around 1967 ish.
This was my first visit to Molineux.
This one?

Ah ok. I remember seeing a photo of Dougan wearing that badge and I know he played and scored in that game, but obviously if that badge came out in 70, I suppose it was the old badge in 67...
We didn't have a badge in '67.

This one?

Yes!! Well done! I remember that logo on that programme very well, yet have absolutely no recollection of Evan Williams in goal!
Where did he come from, how long did he last??
I remember all the fuss when we signed Alun Evans... wasn't he the first player in the UK to break the £100,000 barrier?
I remember the photo of him with blonde spiky hair and a self conscious grin, 'Wot me, 100,000 pounds, nah!'

Evan Williams signed from Third Lanark, played 13 games for us over 3 years. Brief loan spell at Villa and then went back to Scotland and joined Celtic.

According to Wiki he only played 131 league games across his career, 82 of them for Celtic. Did play a European Cup Final and won man of the match despite Celtic losing.

Was that the hat trick where Bully scored the third from just outside the area and it went through the keeper’s legs?
I turned away in disappointment at his weak shot straight at the keeper and then everyone was celebrating lol. the first goal he’d hit the bar and Andy thompson knocked it in. may have been our first attack.

Back