• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Doherty at Leicester was an absolute joke OG. What are you doing you beardy clown. Absolutely buries it from a fair distance out.

No excuse at all for it.

I'd give him a bit of leeway on that, diverts off coady and he just can't adjust in time.

The other chaps mentioned in this thread have had plenty of time to think about what they're doing!

The Ikeme one is shit from both him and Davis. Dreadful ball to play back to the centre of the goal. Ikeme made up for it by smashing Saunders doodle board though (I won't call it a tactics board)

Stancliffe's was just a goal to sum up the day really.

Doc's has the element of bad luck as that slight movement screws him over but man, what a finish it was. No one is saving that.

I'd give him a bit of leeway on that, diverts off coady and he just can't adjust in time.

The other chaps mentioned in this thread have had plenty of time to think about what they're doing!
I won't give him any leeway. He'd missed an open goal at the right end a few minutes earlier.

Home vs the Albion some time in the mid 90s. We lost. Still haven't seen us win live (even during the record breaking Championship season...)
😔

Last edited:
Wolves 1-1 Swindon, last game of the 94/95 season. Remember a lot of the season but my dad didn’t take me until the last game. Still haunted by what happened over the next 10 days after that and wonder what could have been if we got promoted that season.

Wolves 1-1 Swindon, last game of the 94/95 season. Remember a lot of the season but my dad didn’t take me until the last game. Still haunted by what happened over the next 10 days after that and wonder what could have been if we got promoted that season.
Double edged sword I'd say.

On the one hand Sir Jack was legitimately rich by football club owner standards then (and that was the key driver, if you didn't have a wealthy owner then just being in the Premier League didn't mean you had loads to spend), he was very much personally invested in the club and would likely have tried to match the likes of Blackburn/Newcastle in the transfer market. There was nothing like the huge gap to bridge that there is now.

On the other, not many of that squad were genuinely top flight class even allowing for the smaller gap between the divisions, lovely man though Taylor was, by 1995 his football was already outdated at the top level and wouldn't have worked particularly, we might have had the money but we loved wasting it, our infrastructure was still shit behind the scenes, we didn't have any footballing knowledge at board level at all and there's every chance we'd have just hit a ceiling anyway at some point. Like Blackburn never built any meaningful legacy from those days, they were back in the second tier by 1999.

Funny really, had we won that game and played Bolton at home in the 2nd leg, things may have been different.

Funny really, had we won that game and played Bolton at home in the 2nd leg, things may have been different.
I'm less than convinced that we'd have beaten Reading in the final. They played us off the park on the opening day (somehow we won 1-0) and hammered us just before Christmas. Then they were walking the actual final vs Bolton before imploding. A very good team that season and I would say a bit better than us, especially with us missing key players come the very end of the season (no Thomas, de Wolf, Daley, Froggatt for sure and I think Emblen was out too?) and others running on fumes.

It drives me nuts that I can't remember which was my first game, it was either Spurs or Everton, year would have been maybe 69 or 70.
Only things I remember, Alan Ball playing for Everton. One of the games Hughie Curran and Bobby Gould were up front.
I remember my lads first games much better.

Same here, remember my eldest lad's first game, 2010/11 season v Newcastle, 1-1 and I think it was the Henry/Barton game?

God knows how people can remember back to their first games, I'm like the Anti-Deutsch... my memory is horseshit... Must have been the 88/89 season, my brother-in-law took me and I remember that squad clearly, but I have no decent match memory till a couple of seasons later, 90/91 and I think it was Millwall at home...?

Wolves Aldershot 2nd leg 4th Div playoff final (semi?) in 87 IIRC
Standing on a milk crate in the old South bank..

That was 97, I think? Was also there for that one. Pretty sure Dougie Freedman and Paul Simpson both scored crackers.
3 red cards, Simpson scored from the halfway line and I think there was a penalty as well. Great game.

I'm less than convinced that we'd have beaten Reading in the final. They played us off the park on the opening day (somehow we won 1-0) and hammered us just before Christmas. Then they were walking the actual final vs Bolton before imploding. A very good team that season and I would say a bit better than us, especially with us missing key players come the very end of the season (no Thomas, de Wolf, Daley, Froggatt for sure and I think Emblen was out too?) and others running on fumes.
If we'd have got those injured players fit and got promoted we'd have been OK in the Prem I think.

However, obviously neither IF happened other than Froggatt.

The Swindon game when Bully got sent off for twatting a Swindon defender after he hacked down Carlo Robinson. Paul Simpson scored from halfway as well and we won 3-1.
Shocking challenge... almost as shocking as the quality of the highlights (says 3-2 but it was 3-1)

No idea who my first game was, it was 1981 and I was four.

Not sure.

Earliest games I have any recollection of would be a game against Sheff Utd at home, think my dad had tickets off someone at work but must have ended up working away because my uncle took me, evening game but no idea who played or what the score was. Was probably at primary school then so somewhere between 93-99. Or remember going to a preseason game at Bescot with my dad and uncle, think we sat in with the Walsall fans because it wasn't as busy, Keane played in that I think.

Other contenders as first game away from Wolves, was taken to Preston to watch Walsall, my dad was once attempting to do all the football league grounds, and remember them having some of the new stands built but we were sat in a right old shit box, no idea of the score but seem to remember it was quite a nice day so presumably early or late in the season. Alternatively, an uncle took me to watch Chelsea in a preseason game at Albion, think I might have been a little older than the other memories though, might have been sort of Zola/Poyet/Di Matteo era but can't recall any of them actually playing.

Same here, remember my eldest lad's first game, 2010/11 season v Newcastle, 1-1 and I think it was the Henry/Barton game?

God knows how people can remember back to their first games, I'm like the Anti-Deutsch... my memory is horseshit... Must have been the 88/89 season, my brother-in-law took me and I remember that squad clearly, but I have no decent match memory till a couple of seasons later, 90/91 and I think it was Millwall at home...?
I can barely remember the Everton game :LOL:

Not sure.

Earliest games I have any recollection of would be a game against Sheff Utd at home, think my dad had tickets off someone at work but must have ended up working away because my uncle took me, evening game but no idea who played or what the score was. Was probably at primary school then so somewhere between 93-99. Or remember going to a preseason game at Bescot with my dad and uncle, think we sat in with the Walsall fans because it wasn't as busy, Keane played in that I think.

Other contenders as first game away from Wolves, was taken to Preston to watch Walsall, my dad was once attempting to do all the football league grounds, and remember them having some of the new stands built but we were sat in a right old shit box, no idea of the score but seem to remember it was quite a nice day so presumably early or late in the season. Alternatively, an uncle took me to watch Chelsea in a preseason game at Albion, think I might have been a little older than the other memories though, might have been sort of Zola/Poyet/Di Matteo era but can't recall any of them actually playing.
Apart from Monday 2nd Jan in 1994, the only midweek game at home to Sheff Utd was on Tuesday 10th November 1998, a 2-1 win

Have to agree with this Reading played us off the park just before xmas that year.
Still winds me up that the FA allowed Shilton to sign an emergency loan for them. Would never happen today we should have gone to Burnden with tie over worst was Mcateer miss kicking into the top corner.

Last edited:
Back