• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Your first Wolves game

Cost us millions did that....

#internetclassic
I can imagine it did!
Is anyone clever enough to retro fit the selling on contract?
What did he go for?
What % would have been reasonable (Use todays average)
Any idea what the 'loss' might have been?

Mmmm, That's a shame! I remember seeing all the fun stuff with Richards and Dougan but remember little about the Dougan and Richards as the MD. Living in Stockport (Not having access to the E&S) missed a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.
Though I do remember (Dan, are you paying attention...?) Richards was at the helm when we sold Robbie Keane without putting a fantastic sell on clause into the contract...
But watching the honest and hard working Richards tearing into opposing defences, feeding off the delicate nods and flicks from Dougan and watching him (Dougan) running in and smashing the ball past forlorn keepers, is a sustaining memory I'll not lose.
The sell on clause is something of an unfair stick to beat him with. He negotiated another 500k upfront instead. Inter bought him for £13m so the supposed 10% actually cost us 250k...Kenny was taking the piss

I can imagine it did!
Is anyone clever enough to retro fit the selling on contract?
What did he go for?
What % would have been reasonable (Use todays average)
Any idea what the 'loss' might have been?
My shite joke was aimed at a genius who worked out what we had lost because he thought with a sell one clause we would have got 10-15% from every single one of his transfers after leaving us.

In reality we lost probably £500k or so

Last edited:
There's also a weird substrata of people who never watched him play but adore him as if they did, which is extremely odd.

I never saw John Richards play but he was a pretty rubbish MD in my time.
My first game was sometime in the mid (?) 1960’s under the Molineux floodlights vs Chelsea.
I think we had the “flying pig” Terry Wharton on the wing.

My memory tells me we won, but when I tried to look it up a few years ago, out of interest, I think I could only find a draw.

I saw Dougan and Richard’s play a good few times, and rate them both very highly as Wolves players.

Enough to forgive them both their less than spectacular roles as administrators.

The Doog scored a get trick on his Molineux debut vs Hull in a 4 - 1 win and became an instant crowd favourite.
Even so, you could kind of tell that Richards was “straight up” whereas Dougan was a much more complex character, but definitely someone you’d want inside the tent pissing out, rather than etc..

When I was at Leeds Uni I went to Elland Rd quite a few times (Don Revie’s great but Dirty Leeds). Got a lift once from a couple of die hard Leeds fans, who both loathed the Doog with a passion, but thought Dave Wagstaffe was a great player who’d have been a real asset to their team.

My first game was sometime in the mid (?) 1960’s under the Molineux floodlights vs Chelsea.
I think we had the “flying pig” Terry Wharton on the wing.

My memory tells me we won, but when I tried to look it up a few years ago, out of interest, I think I could only find a draw.

I saw Dougan and Richard’s play a good few times, and rate them both very highly as Wolves players.

Enough to forgive them both their less than spectacular roles as administrators.

The Doog scored a get trick on his Molineux debut vs Hull in a 4 - 1 win and became an instant crowd favourite.
Even so, you could kind of tell that Richards was “straight up” whereas Dougan was a much more complex character, but definitely someone you’d want inside the tent pissing out, rather than etc..

When I was at Leeds Uni I went to Elland Rd quite a few times (Don Revie’s great but Dirty Leeds). Got a lift once from a couple of die hard Leeds fans, who both loathed the Doog with a passion, but thought Dave Wagstaffe was a great player who’d have been a real asset to their team.
4-0 win wasn't it?

I'm in quite a narrow corridor who can't remember him as a player, but can as the public front of the Bhattis, so I have the sourness without the positivity when I think about him
Yeah, I saw his home debut against Hull and the hat trick, never forgave him for selling to the Bhatti’s followed by his pre Farage Farageness.
Am I right in thinking that SJH was also looking to by the Club at the same time?

Yeah, I saw his home debut against Hull and the hat trick, never forgave him for selling to the Bhatti’s followed by his pre Farage Farageness.
Am I right in thinking that SJH was also looking to by the Club at the same time?

My first Wolves game was in 1967. We were about to be promoted back to Div 1 after two seasons in Div. 2. We were away at C Palace. I'm a Londoner, but I'd never really ventured to South East London. I got the tube to the Elephant and then a bus down to C. Pal's ground. Tragically, we got beaten 4-1. Frankly disappointing!

There's also a weird substrata of people who never watched him play but adore him as if they did, which is extremely odd.

I never saw John Richards play but he was a pretty rubbish MD in my time.
Even King John admits he wasn’t much cop as a MD but as a centre forward he was the best I‘ve seen in a Wolves shirt.

His partnership with Dougan in the early 70s was arguably the best in the business in all of Europe.

Have been over and over trying to figure the first game out but to no avail. My old man was taking me as a nipper, probably before I really knew too much about the teams and players themselves. I just remember it being a very exciting experience, lots of noise, and grown men, and pies, and stuff like that. The floodlights always seemed to be on, although that’s must’ve just been winter as I’d’ve been too young for midweek matches.

I remember him buying me a rosette and pinning it on my chest. It seemed massive, and filled my chest and had a shiny metal FA cup badge in the middle. I’ve still got that rosette now. That wasn’t the first game but it sticks in the memory. Must’ve been ‘68 or ‘69 I reckon.

Started really knowing what was going on and getting into the players and teams properly around ‘72 and never looked back. Stoke seemed a big rival but I think that was amplified by a fertile mind and stuff in shop windows celebrating their League Cup win at that time.

My dad is 87 now so I suppose we’ll never will be able to identify the first game, but I’m not sure now that really matters, it’s more a culmination of good early memories and am happy to settle for that.

One thing i always remember are the big wooden rattles.
All the kids had one, big heavy fuckers you whirled around above your head, and always, like me, came home from every game with blood streaming down your head from the inevitable clattering you gave yourself.
Oh yes and being passed over the heads of the crowd to get you down to the front.
All the adults around you down there made sure you stayed put til your dad or big brother came to collect you.

Standing on a wooden Banks's beer crate in the Family Enclosure/Waterloo Road stand, so I could just about peer over the wall to watch the game. That Wolves v Leeds game...

Standing on a wooden Banks's beer crate in the Family Enclosure/Waterloo Road stand, so I could just about peer over the wall to watch the game. That Wolves v Leeds game...
Yup the Enclosure was where I was parked at the Mol until I was old enough to go into the North Bank.

And I was also there in the Enclosure for THAT Wolves v Leeds game back in 1972 - probably the most electric atmosphere I have ever experienced at the ground.

Jeez, what were you 2/3?
It was actually quite common for young kids In the Enclosure.

My dad made a stool (in old gold and black of course) for me to stand on so I could watch the game at the edge of the wall.

I was about 10 when it got ditched.

It was actually quite common for young kids In the Enclosure.

My dad made a stool (in old gold and black of course) for me to stand on so I could watch the game at the edge of the wall.

I was about 10 when it got ditched.
Yep, I started off in the enclosure before graduating to the North Bonk. You could transfer to the North Bonk from the enclosure through a one way turnstile part way up the edge of the NB.

Yup the Enclosure was where I was parked at the Mol until I was old enough to go into the North Bank.

And I was also there in the Enclosure for THAT Wolves v Leeds game back in 1972 - probably the most electric atmosphere I have ever experienced at the ground.
I was in the North Bonk by then. I remember the 'kids' turnstiles at the NB. It was something like 2s6d entry fee.

Back