• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

League table without VAR affecting results

Checking the monitor will waste more time. Either mike the refs up and broadcast it in the ground, then use big screens to talk it through, or fuck it off. Preferably the latter.

It should be broadcast on the screens and talked through the tannoy system so all can see and more importantly so the idiots in the box are held accountable.

The decision on the pitch is the valid one. The question is if there is anything to change that decision. Or in the case of foul play, flagged up to the onfield official who can make a judgement and make that person accountable.

At the moment they are arbiters of rules and still with egos the size of a stadium. That needs to be exposed and bought out into the open so we recognise VAR and officials as being unimportant and there as administrators not deciders of games. That job is for the players.

But much like our political system we're fucked.

Clear and obvious leaves a grey area, reality is the ref viewing the decision should just be giving what he thinks is the correct decision.
It’s just so inconsistent look at the penalty Brighton had yesterday and the one we didn’t get today.
We’ve got the worse of both worlds currently we’re waiting around for inconsistent decisions.
No problem with the ref looking at his own decision on a monitor, why would it take do much longer than it already is? Plus the ref is reviewing his own call.
The one thing no one ever countered in was the unfair momentum shift it gives sides.
Classic example was the Leicester v Spurs game. Talking of inconsistent decisions Bertrand was sent by VAR against Leicester on Friday. Earlier in the season Tielemans wasn’t sent off for a very similar tackle against Bournemouth.

Arsenal robbed of two points. Outrageous decision to rule their third goal out. Totally bent.
Officials must be in the pay of the gambling industry.

What impact did the player's actions have on the game? His foot was about 2 inches onto the pitch when he touched the ball. It was irrelevant and a petty and pathetic use of the rule. If that's what VAR is for then again, it can just fuck off.

So VAR gets a rule right and people are moaning. We either have rules or we don't.

I'm amazed at people getting all bent out of shape with the challenge on Jota (which should've been looked at in the very least) but then wanting to bin VAR off. The hypocrisy is staggering.

I'm amazed at people getting all bent out of shape with the challenge on Jota (which should've been looked at in the very least) but then wanting to bin VAR off. The hypocrisy is staggering.

If VAR isn't be used for moments like that then it should be binned off really.

I agree it should be looking at the Jota incident. It's the sheer hypocrisy of those wanting it binned off but complaining about nothing being done about the challenge.

I don't think it should be binned off, they need to get it right.

Part of me thinks they want it to fail so they can go back to their own little egotistical ways and say 'We tried but it didn't work'.

It isn't hypocritical in the slightest.

If VAR isn't going to change decisions such as the one relating to the challenge on Jota, it is perfectly rational for people to want to bin it off. The sacrifices to the fluidity of the game are not being repaid with the supposed correct decisions which you vaunt.

I agree. I said it last week. If that is modern football, it can fuck off.

This is absolutely what a number of my mates are saying. The authorities do need to be careful.

Given the Premier League's keenness to stand apart (and ahead of) other leagues in terms of its "product", in hindsight, keeping VAR out of the league might have been the more savvy move.

I think we all accept it is terrible for fans in the ground, but I'm not convinced it adds anything at all to the TV experience either.

It isn't hypocritical in the slightest.

If VAR isn't going to change decisions such as the one relating to the challenge on Jota, it is perfectly rational for people to want to bin it off. The sacrifices to the fluidity of the game are not being repaid with the supposed correct decisions which you vaunt.

Lolz. So people want it binned off but are complaining about nothing being done?

It is of course possible that if you get the system right then challenges get looked at and foul play flagged up. If it's binned off nothing gets done, ever, and you just have to accept it. That's the hypocrisy.

Surely it is better we get things right rather than just throwing them in the bin?

Part of me thinks they want it to fail so they can go back to their own little egotistical ways and say 'We tried but it didn't work'.

Fingers crossed as i have zero faith they will ever use it properly anyway

Surely it is better we get things right rather than just throwing them in the bin?

I think this is the nub of the issue. It is perfectly reasonable to fall on either side.

At the extreme, I don't believe perfection in decision making is worth the destruction of the game as a spectacle.

Add the fact that we're not getting perfection in decision making (in fact, I think there is no firm evidence that there has been any improvement in subjective decision-making), and it feels like the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Of course the balance can be redressed by (i) better decision making and (ii) improving the spectacle. Hopefully both happen relatively quickly and we look back on this season as growing pain.

Back