• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2018/19

He had a top half championship squad though. Sunderland’s Squad is shit, the cost of the players is irrelevant.

I dunno. Of those he inherited:

Ikeme (never been bona fide first choice before)
Stearman (had been out on loan at Ipswich for months in 12/13)
Batth (about 12 games for us before that season)
Doherty (ditto, and was definitely not Champo standard at that stage)
Price (no first team football before that season)
Evans (ditto)
Edwards (Top half Championship standard? Debatable)
Sako
Griffiths (0 games for us before then, sold halfway through)
Doyle (crap anyway and gone in January)
Sig (ditto)

Played a reasonable part that season. The rest were bit part players or written off.

He had to build all the rest himself with not much money.

He had a top half championship squad though. Sunderland’s Squad is shit, the cost of the players is irrelevant.
Main 12 at the end of the season:
Ikeme - already there
Ricketts - KJ signing
Batth - peripheral player previously
Stearman - already there
Golbourne - KJ signing
Henry - KJ Signing
McDonald - KJ Signing
Price - already there, hadn't played
Jacobs - KJ signing
Sako -already there
Dicko - KJ signing previously with club out of position
Edwards - already there

In summary, no he didn't unless you want to include the likes of Foley, Ward, Henry etc who he was told to get rid of

I dunno. Of those he inherited:

Ikeme - probably was one of best in that league.
Stearman - way good for that level, Pashun or not.
Batth (about 12 games for us before that season) - breakthrough season but had played plenty at that level already.
Price (no first team football before that season)- literally only had to be functional in a midfield with KMac in, and he had more ability than that.
Evans (ditto) - ditto l
Edwards - not a very good footballer but the team played to his strengths.
Sako - worldbeater at that level
Griffiths (0 games for us before then, sold halfway through) - better than L1 standard.
Doyle (crap anyway and gone in January) - better than Charlie Wyke!
Sig (ditto)

Played a reasonable part that season. The rest were bit part players or written off.

He had to build all the rest himself with not much money.

I’ve added bits to each player.

We didn’t spend much but the additions of KMac, Henry, Jacobs, Dicko, Golbourne were all massive and I bet the spend was way more than our rivals.

And I’m not sure you can give KJ 100% for the recruitment. Pretty sure KT had a big role, definitely for Jacobs and Dicko.

Main 12 at the end of the season:
Ikeme - already there
Ricketts - KJ signing
Batth - peripheral player previously
Stearman - already there
Golbourne - KJ signing
Henry - KJ Signing
McDonald - KJ Signing
Price - already there, hadn't played
Jacobs - KJ signing
Sako -already there
Dicko - KJ signing previously with club out of position
Edwards - already there

In summary, no he didn't unless you want to include the likes of Foley, Ward, Henry etc who he was told to get rid of

I meant going into the season. But still, the team that went down should have finished mid table with a moderately capable manager, so point still stands.

Think those five were about £1.5m between them. Another senseless £500k on Leon.

But selling Hennessey and Griffiths covered all that, let alone all the weight we lost off the wage bill by binning loads off on frees and loans. Net spend was close to £0 with a huge reduction on salaries.

Ross spent £4m on Will Grigg who is shite. And £1m on Charlie Wyke who looks like a parks player.

I should probably check that my Dad hasn't chucked himself under a train at Wembley stadium.

Last minute winners in both play off finals so far, hopefully Derby can make it 3 out of 3 tomorrow.

The season we were in L1 didnt Posh spend a crap load on Britt Assombalonga? (Rumoured to be £2m)

Think those five were about £1.5m between them. Another senseless £500k on Leon.

But selling Hennessey and Griffiths covered all that, let alone all the weight we lost off the wage bill by binning loads off on frees and loans. Net spend was close to £0 with a huge reduction on salaries.

Ross spent £4m on Will Grigg who is shite. And £1m on Charlie Wyke who looks like a parks player.

Sunderland were a basket when they went down, they were literally terrible. We we’re made terrible by terrible management. We were knocking on the door of the top 2 in October. The twat was brought in to ‘revive our playoff push’.

They’ve also then bought in like £40m in sales.

Last edited:
Just a little fact...Tranmere hadn't beaten Newport this season, Charlton hadn't beaten Sunderland this season.....Derby County over to you.

Villa is worth £60 to me or cash out at £33, gonna let it ride. I'll be watching it impassively either way, might go into town for a bit of atmosphere

Come on Frank Lampard's Derby.

It would be a source of endless amusement watching Villa selling the family silver to avoid an FFP breach with owners worth billions not being able to do anything about it.

Plus Derby is a cracking away day.

Think Villa will win, hope Derby do even though I think Lampard is a bellend.

I've always thought Lampard was anything but a bellend tbh. Comes across very well.

Back