• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2023/24

I mean WM didn't sack Tony Butler after he said Shane Westley looked like he should be swinging from the crossbar so they aren't that likely to ban a racist caller.
Didn't Butler also suggest Westley should have bananas thrown at him whilst swinging from the crossbar?

I might be going out on a limb here, but it seems like this Butler fellow can go fuck himself.

I might be going out on a limb here, but it seems like this Butler fellow can go fuck himself.
Yeah for context Alan it was over 30 years ago. He got a telling off from the BBC and Wolves banned him from Molineux. No less racist than now, but didn't create the level of uproar then that it would today

Yeah for context Alan it was over 30 years ago. He got a telling off from the BBC and Wolves banned him from Molineux. No less racist than now, but didn't create the level of uproar then that it would today
Definitely a different era (I mean as a fanbase, nicknaming Floyd Streete "Bruno" on no other basis than he's black and Frank Bruno is also black isn't great, looking back - tbf plenty of other clubs did exactly the same) but he totally refused to ever even remotely apologise for it which never sat well, even then.

I always thought he was a fucking windbag and a coward of a broadcaster, if someone argued against his stupid ill-thought out opinions he'd just cut them off then rant away when they had no right of reply.

Definitely a different era (I mean as a fanbase, nicknaming Floyd Streete "Bruno" on no other basis than he's black and Frank Bruno is also black isn't great, looking back - tbf plenty of other clubs did exactly the same) but he totally refused to ever even remotely apologise for it which never sat well, even then.

I always thought he was a fucking windbag and a coward of a broadcaster, if someone argued against his stupid ill-thought out opinions he'd just cut them off then rant away when they had no right of reply.
Gary Thompson was Villa's Bruno, unsurprisingly on WM they call him Thommo now.

Butler was a trailblazer in as much as he was the first UK broadcaster to use the US style sports phone in, he also did it with the US style hot takes approach which I've never been a fan of. Still used a lot on Talksport now.

I take it that you knew him? Even for anyone who didn't, after listening to him for 5 minutes you'd come up with the same conclusion.
Yes, i made sll the commercials at one point for brmb, and had the unhappy honour of recording him many times.
To say he was arrogant and though he was mr brmb is an understatement.
Same as gary no bollocks at central tv, who seriously believed that central survived on his footie show.

Gary Thompson was Villa's Bruno, unsurprisingly on WM they call him Thommo now.

Butler was a trailblazer in as much as he was the first UK broadcaster to use the US style sports phone in, he also did it with the US style hot takes approach which I've never been a fan of. Still used a lot on Talksport now.
Sensationalism sells innit

WIP in Philadelphia is a poisonous sewer and creates genuine conflict and hatred in the City in the name of discussion
Well, that’s Philly for ya 😉

Jokes aside, it drives me bonkers, too. Makes it really difficult to engage with sport outside of the actual games.

Two ridiculous challenges from each side for penalties in the Champions League semifinal

Back