• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd (H) 1/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about 20cm across two offside goals to being an "on the beach game".

Incredible that 2-0 down is completely flattering us.

Our tactics this evening have so far been:

- let them settle in to match & have as much of the ball as they want
- don’t track any overlapping players
- pass it to Cunha & hope he can beat 5 players

Neto has been anonymous. Toti has been rubbish. Cunha infuriating tonight. Doyle/Lemina overrun.

Considering it’s a game against a big club under the lights, off the back of the Albion match, I thought it would be bouncing. The performance hasn’t helped the atmosphere in the slightest.

Gaz just needed to pick his best team tonight and tell them to get at them. It’s unfortunately been shite.

We should be 5-0 down. Awful.

H/T ... only 2-0 down and United have been by far the better team in attack and fully deserved their lead. Looks like they tried everything they could to give the third goal as that check took far too long. We've looked promising in attack but always break down as we fail to find the final ball. We want far too long on it when in their penalty box area and aren't moving it quickly enough. This has allowed them to get numbers back each time. So, over to you GON. Hopefully a tail of two halves coming up.

Quality I’m not sure. We are more open and attacking, hence we create more. My point is (which you keep ignoring) is we are over-performing just like we did that year under Bruno.

GON is a lot more likeable than that idiot so people are likely to give him more benefit of the doubt (which is fine). Doesn’t mask some of the things he’s getting wrong, in my eyes anyway.

I’m moaning because we’ve been rubbish. He wasn’t brave enough to put the starters he should have. That’s on him.
Well your point is an opinion, it's not a fact is it? And not one i agree with.

In terms of who he should have played, i think it's easy for us to say he should have brought RAN in etc (and i would have too) but there must be a fine line between motivating players by telling them they earn the shirt with performances and dropping them after they've played well (Doyle). It's much more than names on a piece of paper.

Both Doyle and Doc have played well in recent games, just taking them out isn't as easy as we suggest (though i am surprised given the volume and intensity of games this week)

Utd have done a good job tactically. They have created space and exploited our slower backline as a result of it, and they have also mostly controlled the middle with numbers. This feels like a time we needed to adjust and move to a 352, but we don't really have the options.

In terms of who he should have played, i think it's easy for us to say he should have brought RAN in etc (and i would have too) but there must be a fine line between motivating players by telling them they earn the shirt with performances and dropping them after they've played well (Doyle). It's much more than names on a piece of paper.

Both Doyle and Doc have played well in recent games, just taking them out isn't as easy as we suggest (though i am surprised given the volume and intensity of games this week)
I never said it was a fact. I think we’ve definitely over performed, as much as I think we’ve improved more recently. I think our position is slightly false.

You play your best team. A more experience or stronger coach knows that I think .

May as well switch to 4-2-3-1 here, bring Gomes on for Doc, and get the full-backs to stay deeper to stop getting done in behind constantly.

Lazy fucking fat cunt at LB.

Top half of the table is going to unhappy if we end up playing both Man U and Chelsea into some form.

Quality I’m not sure. We are more open and attacking, hence we create more. My point is (which you keep ignoring) is we are over-performing just like we did that year under Bruno.

GON is a lot more likeable than that idiot so people are likely to give him more benefit of the doubt (which is fine). Doesn’t mask some of the things he’s getting wrong, in my eyes anyway.

I’m moaning because we’ve been rubbish. He wasn’t brave enough to put the starters he should have. That’s on him.
I mean, if he’d made the changes I Assume you want there’s no guarantee it would be totally different. Could easily be saying ‘we shouldn’t have changed the team’ in that case

Agreed we have been bloody awful tonight, fuck knows why. Let’s be honest, it’s not again say city or Liverpool who can make you look shit, we’ve just been bloody poor, which Ofcourse stops with GoN. Need something to change 2nd half.

Not sure we’re overachieving? Quality definitely better than under Lage

Lemina having possibly his worst game for us. Watching the overlap by Shaw for the second goal was like a car crash in slow motion, just didn't recognise it when the same had happened 5 minutes earlier. GON fallen well and truly into the picking a winning rather than your best team trap, although to be honest I'm not sure it would have made much difference

I never said it was a fact. I think we’ve definitely over performed, as much as I think we’ve improved more recently. I think our position is slightly false.

You play your best team. A more experience or stronger coach knows that I think .
I agree generally, but i can understand why there are circumstances sometimes where you do give well performing players another go, else you potentially shatter them.

Regardless i'm not sure RAN and Gomes for Doc and Doyle would have made much difference tonight, we look flat across the team, "after the Lord mayor's show vibes", even from the fans - but we'll never know now.

Last edited:
We are still, just about, in this but are fortunate to be so.

I’m not complaining as we’ve done brilliantly this season with a small squad.

We are being caught out tonight though. A pity, but there it is.

You have a good point but there is such a thing as stupidity in expecting the team that comfortably beat WBA would compete against a rampant Utd. Playing Doc on the left side has no rationale about it. Playing Bellegarde at all, similar. Sometimes you have to be patient and keep things tight. We've been open all the half and have done nothing to change it.

Absolutely no positives from that, aside from the fact we should be 4 or 5 down but somehow aren't.

We look hungover. After 2 very good defensive displays last week, we look abject tonight.

Created nothing going forward either.

Dreadful - no excuses to be this far off the pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back