• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Middlesboro 1 - 2 Wolves: Verdict

On Nuno’s celebrations at the end - I can see why opposition fans think he’s an absolute cunt. But I couldn’t care less. For far too many years we’ve been too nice and too naive. I love Nuno and that celebration is two fingers right up at each and every person that’s slated us for whatever reason possible this year.

GET IN LADS.

Ps - Atwell is an atrocious referee. Always has been and always will be.

That's the latest in a line of awful refereeing performances from Attwell while officiating our games. The blatant penalty he didn't give at home to Newcastle, the appalling decision to send Milijas off at Arsenal and now this.

Fuck him though, what a result! Great celebrations at the end.

Attwell is a cunt. Pulis is a cunt. Nuno is a beautiful, beautiful man.

If I was going to play a left footer on the right it would be Douglas. As he never goes down the outside anyway. However I’d be wary of breaking up key link up partnerships. Boly, Douglas, Neves have a good understanding.

Several opposition players had already escaped punishment for far more cynical (Pulis coached) fouls!

Well Neves won't be there on Tuesday either will he, so it is a possibility

I think German Phil will be on the bench minimum.

Whilst Neves' first wasn't a 'bad' foul it was very cynical in it's nature, even if it was ultimately unsuccessful, wouldn't you consider that a bookable offence usually?

Not in the context of the game as it had unfolded up to the Costa breakaway. There were worse fouls in the first half from both teams but the referee had chosen to talk to players and keep his cards in his pocket. You can argue that this was an error on his part but once he has set the tone, he must be consistent. His decision on Neves' first error was harsh, as was his decision on Doherty's jump with Friend. His whole approach to the game changed after the Costa breakaway incident. It's a mistake an immature referee can often make when he knows he's messed up a call.

Immense defending. Willy Boly is a superhuman. Unbelievable stuff.

Neves' first booking wasn't one. Also think everyone is being harsh on him for the second - looks to me like he slipped (as everyone was doing). Still a booking but he didn't mean to fly in like that.
Doherty's second wasn't a booking either.
Costa was tripped (and surely he had to be booked if the ref thought it was a dive?!)
Conclusion: shocking refereeing performance.

However we did totally lose our leads in an unacceptable way and give him an opportunity to make those shocking decisions. Can't happen again.

Also John Ruddy still doesn't look comfortable catching high balls. Hasn't for a while. He did well to slow the game down at every opportunity later on but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that he wasn't great again. Even after an all-round perfomance like that, we should be considering how to improve the team.

Neves’ 2nd was a yellow all day long - that Costa tackle, couldn’t the lino have helped Mr Magoo out?

Not in the context of the game as it had unfolded up to the Costa breakaway. There were worse fouls in the first half from both teams but the referee had chosen to talk to players and keep his cards in his pocket. You can argue that this was an error on his part but once he has set the tone, he must be consistent. His decision on Neves' first error was harsh, as was his decision on Doherty's jump with Friend. His whole approach to the game changed after the Costa breakaway incident. It's a mistake an immature referee can often make when he knows he's messed up a call.
I can see the frustration through inconsistency but personally I can't have too much complaint with any of the cards he awarded. Cynical, late, untidy, they weren't all terrible challenges but there was enough there to give the referee the option and players have to be more careful than that in the modern game, especially when they've already been carded.

It wasn't a good performance by the referee but I think it's unfair to blame it solely at this feet, Wolves players lost their cool, made poor decisions and paid the price. Need to be a bit more savvy.

Immense victory.

What a cunt Atwell is. He gets the Costa decision right and we don't have Neves sent off and descend into chaos. They're down to 10 men and we dominate possession and win comfortably.

MOTM All of the three CBs. Boly and Bennett in particular who were immense.
Agreed..shouldnt even have been close..but atwell gave us a thriller anyway...Boly(what a CB!) mom..Ruddy almost cost us again several times in the first half..great to see Costa back in form..Cav is a beast..Douglas deserves to play in the prem

Also, that Neves pass for the Costa foul-that-wasn't. Sublime. Deserved a goal.

To be fair, if you asked most fans in the country, they would say attwell is a fucking awful ref - I don’t understand why he’s still going, he’s bloody awful every game he does.

Great result though, really proud of the lads for seeing that out.

Fuck you Pulis. Fuck you Atwell. Cunts. FWAW.

This!

What a team.

Questions to be asked of how we lost our discipline in that 15 minute period but we defended incredibly, especially with 9. Every single of them was brilliant

And we actually won at a Boro. Fuck I love Nuno so much

totally agree

I can see the frustration through inconsistency but personally I can't have too much complaint with any of the cards he awarded. Cynical, late, untidy, they weren't all terrible challenges but there was enough there to give the referee the option and players have to be more careful than that in the modern game, especially when they've already been carded.

It wasn't a good performance by the referee but I think it's unfair to blame it solely at this feet, Wolves players lost their cool, made poor decisions and paid the price. Need to be a bit more savvy.

As a fan, you can overlook inconsistency; as an assessor, you cannot. End of story.

Beating Burton, Bolton & Leed's easily is not the defining point of our season - this may be

Quite correct. So Atwell ignoring a lot of the stuff Boro did, especially early on, just proves he’s a useless cunt.

Beating Burton, Bolton & Leed's easily is not the defining point of our season - this may be

Biggest points of this season have been the win at Bristol, the reaction after losing to Villa and tonight.

Wow just heroic in the end, had Atwell spotted the trip Costa I’m certain we’d have won that 3 or 4-0. Ref lost the plot as did we for a few minutes.
Just the sheer inconsistency of his decisions, when we went to 9 men I was convinced we wouldn’t win the game.
Boro were shite and are to reliant on Traore pace who’s end product is still bang average.
Sad thing is no one mentioned that pass from Neves that led to the trip in Costa just top class deserved a goal not a trip not given.
So proud of them tonight for the qualities they showed tonight.

Haven’t read the full thread, but where was Doc’s first yellow, how was his second a yellow and how was Neves’s first a yellow?

Back