• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Middlesboro 1 - 2 Wolves: Verdict

To be fair Doc was lucky not to get the two yellows earlier when he flew in ranting at Twatwell and there was forehead contact. My heart was in my mouth at that point. Little did I know what was gonna happen next.

Let's face it he should never be reffing any of our matches after the Newcastle game in the Premier League. It's no surprise that there are no British refs going to the World cup when he was one of our nominations.

Great result even in spite of Atwell's efforts. Almost there now.

From the Boro Forum just about sums it up for me.....

"Stuart Atwell though, what a signing. If we can keep him fit for the run-in, maybe even get him for every play off game, I think we'll probably go up."

That was not good for my heart

Regardless of whether it should've been a red for Friend (and it should) they should *not* have lost their heads like that. I'm slightly concerned given that we've come out of this with what is going to turn out to be a heroic and perhaps even famous win that they won't sit down and look at this rationally, because 9/10 times you don't get away with that.

Fortunately (unless I've got this wrong) both Neves and Doherty were done for 2 yellows, so they should only be 1 game bans...I think? Which means they miss Hull at home, and not Cardiff.

Ruddy is testing my patience, albeit I don't think he'll be changed at this point of the season. The back 3 were great, Boly in particular. Barry worked hard and got (more!) assists. Saiss was pretty good but got himself booked after playing an absolutely atrocious pass, needs to cut those slack moments out of his game. Costa worked hard and took his goal really well, it looks like he truly is back now. Cav was very good too, was a bit surprised he was the one to make way but I can understand wanting to leave Costa on for his pace on the break. Should've left them both and taken Afobe off first, IMO.

Only other thing to say is that, unless I wasn't paying attention through the red mist that was rapidly descending, I thought N'Diaye was an absolute bombscare when he came on. We needed a settling presence in the middle to calm everything down and get a hold on the game, and he did basically none of that. I will not be at all upset if we don't sign him because he's got previous for it.

Anyway, enough negativity. Relax, unwind, savour it for a few days. Enjoy your bank holiday, UK folks :beerchug:

Fuck off Stuart Atwell, get the fuck in!
That's my match report

From the Boro Forum just about sums it up for me.....

"Stuart Atwell though, what a signing. If we can keep him fit for the run-in, maybe even get him for every play off game, I think we'll probably go up."

:icon_lol:

How many games will Neves and Doherty be banned for, just the one? And presumably applies immediately for Hull?

What a performance though. Boly found second gear today, still think he probably has a third [emoji23] immense. And Nuno, you legend.

Only other thing to say is that, unless I wasn't paying attention through the red mist that was rapidly descending, I thought N'Diaye was an absolute bombscare when he came on. We needed a settling presence in the middle to calm everything down and get a hold on the game, and he did basically none of that. I will not be at all upset if we don't sign him because he's got previous for it.

Thought Alf had an awful first couple of minutes, then did really well for the remainder.

Not a second yellow. The Middlesbro player went in without care for himself & reaped the benefit of a referee who had lost the plot.

How many games will Neves and Doherty be banned for, just the one? And presumably applies immediately for Hull?

What a performance though. Boly found second gear today, still think he probably has a third [emoji23] immense. And Nuno, you legend.

Should just be 1 for 2 yellow cards, so Tuesday v Hull.

Time to find out our RWB back up option

It's Bennett.

Though Phil has just completed 90 mins today for the U23s...

I was fortunate to watch this match on live streaming and admire how well Wolves played under extreme adversity. I congratulate them on a superb victory. I'll let others comment on player performance. I want to comment on the unfortunate intrusion into the game of a non-player.

As a former referee and assessor, I must say that I was both astounded and appalled at Stuart Atwell's decisions to send off Neves and Doherty for two yellow cards each. In Neves' case, the first yellow card was a mere foul, and not a bad one at that. In the case of Doherty, the second yellow card was a free-lick and not foul play. The initial yellows for both players came from the same incident that occurred about a minute after Costa had been tripped in a breakaway by Friend, a clear goal scoring chance that was thus denied but nothing given. At that point, Atwell lost the plot. I have always had suspicions about Atwell's judgment but he appeared to take his justifiable suspension from the Premier League five years ago with good grace and learned how to act more maturely as a referee. His performance today has set him back six years or more, leading me to think that, as a referee that the Wolves club from the McCarthy era had asked the FA not to allocate to their games on account of bias, his bias against Wolves is so deep that it affects his judgment in games like this one that were beyond his ability. His leaning toward a team based close to Solihull where he grew up must be taken into account when he is allocated games. No wonder there are no British referees at the 2018 World Cup, there is an appalling lack of leadership in the PGMOL.

Mammoth performance.

Does Saiss get suspended or is he clear of that?

Boly was outstanding but they all were. A real warriors performance. Fuck the haters we did what we had to under the circumstances.

I was fortunate to watch this match on live streaming and admire how well Wolves played under extreme adversity. I congratulate them on a superb victory. I'll let others comment on player performance. I want to comment on the unfortunate intrusion into the game of a non-player.

As a former referee and assessor, I must say that I was both astounded and appalled at Stuart Atwell's decisions to send off Neves and Doherty for two yellow cards each. In Neves' case, the first yellow card was a mere foul, and not a bad one at that. In the case of Doherty, the second yellow card was a free-lick and not foul play. The initial yellows for both players came from the same incident that occurred about a minute after Costa had been tripped in a breakaway by Friend, a clear goal scoring chance that was thus denied but nothing given. At that point, Atwell lost the plot. I have always had suspicions about Atwell's judgment but he appeared to take his justifiable suspension from the Premier League five years ago with good grace and learned how to act more maturely as a referee. His performance today has set him back six years or more, leading me to think that, as a referee that the Wolves club from the McCarthy era had asked the FA not to allocate to their games on account of bias, his bias against Wolves is so deep that it affects his judgment in games like this one that were beyond his ability. His leaning toward a team based close to Solihull where he grew up must be taken into account when he is allocated games. No wonder there are no British referees at the 2018 World Cup, there is an appalling lack of leadership in the PGMOL.
Whilst Neves' first wasn't a 'bad' foul it was very cynical in it's nature, even if it was ultimately unsuccessful, wouldn't you consider that a bookable offence usually?

Mammoth performance.

Does Saiss get suspended or is he clear of that?

Boly was outstanding but they all were. A real warriors performance. Fuck the haters we did what we had to under the circumstances.

Saiss is ok. Cut off was the Reading game

Saiss is clear now. The cutoff was the Reading game.

Should just be 1 for 2 yellow cards, so Tuesday v Hull.

Time to find out our RWB back up option
If I am not mistaken Phil has managed 90 mins for the u23s might be a bit too soon but we will see.

Assuming Jota is still out, we could always move Vinagre across to RWB. He can get forward and cut in on his left. He shouldn't have too much defending to do.

Typical Pulis performance. Tell your players to stop any threat on goal for the first few minutes - by hook or by crook - you will not see the book. Lose the game then drag yourselves back in with the help of an incompetent referee. So 12 man Middlesbrough lose to 9 man Wolves. Justice, occasionally, is done!

Back