• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Muso's Guitar Tart Waffle

Once we finally close on the new house, I am treating myself to a new acoustic.
Its either going to be a Taylor, a Martin or a Takemine
A few years back, my Nan left us a little money - only £500 but I decided I would spend it on an acoustic guitar. I had my eye on a Yamaha electro-acoustic around £600 and went to play it but it didn't sound any better than my battered old Takamine. So I tried a Taylor 100 and 200 series guitar and again it was meh... Then they brought me a 324ce koa...

I played a few others, Martin, Gibson and a few pre owned guitars but nothing gave me the same wow factor as the Taylor 324. I spent £1400 of my £600 budget....

There's one on eBay for £600, but I don't think it's the one you're after. (I know 0 about electrics.)
You have to be a bit careful with ESPs. There are three grades. Custom shop are made by their finest luthiers and have a stamp on the rear of the headstock that says ESP custom guitars. These are hellish expensive.

ESP standard can still be made to customer order like mine was, but will not have the stamp. They are only made in the Tokyo factory.

ESP LTD are the junior brand. Made in the Korean factory. They then have model numbers. 1200 are the best they make I think, followed by 600 and 200 which are a bit more budget. Still excellent guitars but the Japan guitars are different class.

I played a few others, Martin, Gibson and a few pre owned guitars but nothing gave me the same wow factor as the Taylor 324. I spent £1400 of my £600 budget....

When my daughter started to show an interest I brought her a 'Baby Taylor' she loved it :)

A few years back, my Nan left us a little money - only £500 but I decided I would spend it on an acoustic guitar. I had my eye on a Yamaha electro-acoustic around £600 and went to play it but it didn't sound any better than my battered old Takamine. So I tried a Taylor 100 and 200 series guitar and again it was meh... Then they brought me a 324ce koa...

I've got the 322; lovely tone. The 100s and 200s are Mexican-made and laminate B&S. You don't get into the all-solid models until 300+.

Yeah, I've got a couple. Nice guitars, but I'm still not convinced they're as good as they think they are.
I like my acoustics bright and present so Taylors suit me perfectly.

I like my acoustics bright and present so Taylors suit me perfectly.
Oh, absolutely; it's horses for courses. I'm more into bluesy fingerstyle, so I tend to play my small bodies more, but my 714's not going anywhere soon.

As you say horses for courses. I am looking for deep and rich resonance, so I love my Martin, but Bear listens to exactly the same sound and it is too muddy for him. And that's cool. It's all about personal taste.

It's a bit like Boozad would prefer a Tele, whereas I would prefer a Les Paul, or arguing about whether a fixed bridge or Floyd Rose is best. It's all about what you personally like.

Incidentally this is the Ibanez AE245 I bought. Its got a great warm tone from the Okuoume wood (but not Martin deep) with a smidge of brightness, and good sustain, and I really like the fretboard design. Action is a bit high though so I might have a go at sanding the saddle down a bit. Never tried before but it doesn't sound too scary.

161215305124008f.jpg

Incidentally this is the Ibanez AE245 I bought. Its got a great warm tone from the Okuoume wood (but not Martin deep) with a smidge of brightness, and good sustain, and I really like the fretboard design. Action is a bit high though so I might have a go at sanding the saddle down a bit. Never tried before but it doesn't sound too scary.

View attachment 5174
I like the look of that, decent price too, thinking about a new electro-acoustic so will have a look at them

View attachment 5174
Gorgeous guitar. Love the fret design.

I also had a guitar with high action and attempted to sand down the saddle, did it twice actually but messed it up as the neck is slightly convex and I sanded the saddle flat, so now the E and A strings buzz off the first fret.
I would recommend getting it done professionally if possible as it's easy to get wrong

Just posting as I've been to Seattle and popped into the Museum of Pop Culture and saw some famous guitars which I thought this may be of interest to some on this thread:

First up, Kurt Cobain's guitar used to record Bleach (Univox hi-flier phase 3)

20220421_101426.jpg

The Fender Strat Cobain used extensively on the Nevermind tour
20220421_102103.jpg

Dave Grohl's Gibson 1990 Explorer that he played early on with the Foo Fighters

20220421_100936.jpg

And probably the most famous, this is Jimi Hendrix's Strat he played at Woodstock for that incendiary performance of Star Spangled Banner!
20220421_102519.jpg

I have always wanted the Hendrix Olympic white strat. Pretty sure Fender still do it as a standard model - but obviously as a real leftie or rightie rather than flipped. Would sit beautifully in the collection.

As an aside, first couple of years I started playing my brother had a cheap strat copy. Marlin something or other. Piece of shit. If I broke a string on my leftie I would flip his right handed guitar without changing the strings so I learned to play a lot of stuff upside down. Always a fun trick in music shops.

Anybody know of anywhere decent to get an amp repaired round Wolves? Bought a brand new Boss Compression pedal a while ago, linked it through my Metal Zone, got the tone I wanted then my amp just died. It just gives off a pathetic little plinky sound now. Don’t know if it’s a dry joint or whether I blew a valve or something. I haven’t got time to take it apart and fault find, would rather throw cash at someone to fix it. Or just buy a new one, it’s pretty old.

Back