• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New Captain

New Captain?

• Total voters
Necro'ing this because it's better than working out the appropriate thread and this is still from-this-season-relevant.

Kilman as captain though, has continued to be a baffling choice. I don't hate him, I just don't think he's ever going to be a player who's more than bottom half PL standard.

As a captain he's non-existent as a leader. Not the only one who sees this right? Dawson marshalls the defence, constantly talking, Lemina too is quite vocal. Kilman seems to spend more times trying to get out of position.

I'm trying to think of someone in recent times who had the armband and appeared as devoid of any leadership skills:

Neves
Coady
Batth
Ricketts
Johnson
Henry
Craddock
Breen
Craddock

I'm not as qualified on our history, others will have better memory, eg iirc RoJo at least started like he gave a crap? And I have no idea on the story on why Breen was captain.

Breen was captain as he was Mick's man and that initial squad was mainly a bunch of kids

There was only one argument to make Kilman captain and that was in an extremely small sample size he played probably his best games last season with the armband. That seemed flawed and was. Dawson would be the more obvious one, but if we were to sign a genuine first team ch with the Nunes money I bet he's the one to make way.

All that said, I don't think it matters much, big characters will step up irrespective of whether they toss a coin or not. The skill is making sure that you have a enough of them around, we saw what happened when they were cleared out on behalf of Lage

Breen was a natural choice, had played for Mick before, loads of experience, natural leader, nailed on to play and there was a vacancy as Ince had left.

Kilman is a bad choice for the reasons you suggest plus if we sign Elvedi or similar then he shouldn't even be in the team on form.

Ah ok, I was using wiki as my reference (surprisingly hard to find info on our former captains) so realise it may not be 100% correct. It said Craddock was captain that first McCarthy clear-out season we finished 5th ('06/'07) and then Breen was captain the next season under Steve Morgan, then back again to Craddock...who went out on loan at some stage too, which is why I assumed someone needed to be made captain.

Back