• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New keeper required

We have Martinez, we don't need to go get a new keeper at all until next season, Striker, defenders one left and a centre back are the most critical signings needed right now, not a goal keeper. As soon as Martinez is fit it's safe to assume he'll be playing. I think this is nothing to worry about at the moment but definitely needs revisiting in closed season.

They offered nothing except target our left side and shoot from distance. The first goes in, they grow in confidence. Teams do when they know they can score against us. We altered our whole ethos and style of play because we have a crap defence and we still get sussed out. Sorry guys, but Danny Batth should have gone (with Stearman) ages ago. He needs dropping or selling and hopefully KJ has the gonads to do it. Look at the hero Stearman now ???. If they do not sort that defence out without having to park five in front of them they have massive problems - not least the only way they attract supporters is offering them half price tickets. That attempt at percentage football wasn't worth a fiver. It cannot get any more base than that ....

Stears is an infinitely better player than Batth. This season's woes don't change that.

Ikeme has been poor and will probably be replaced by Martinez for the next game who was responsible for the worst goalkeeping display I've witnessed at Molineux since Boswell let 6 in against Liverpool.

Bloody Hell, I was at that game. I can remember Alun Evans scoring a brace for Liverpool, not long after we'd sold him for £200,000 (the most expensive teenage signing ever, at the time). I remember talking to Jimmy Mullen, on the way out of Molineux and I told him that he'd better get his boots back on. Boswell really had a nightmare, that day, didn't he? If Ikeme was really that bad, yesterday, then we surely must bring Martinez back for the next game.

Martinez is a vastly superior keeper. I wonder what the chances are of keeping him.

Can't see any reason why Wolves shouldn't be able to gain his signature on a permanent or loan deal for next season.
Where else would he play?

I'm sure Wolves wouldn't be the only club in the Championship looking for a new keeper in the summer.

Bloody Hell, I was at that game. I can remember Alun Evans scoring a brace for Liverpool, not long after we'd sold him for £200,000 (the most expensive teenage signing ever, at the time). I remember talking to Jimmy Mullen, on the way out of Molineux and I told him that he'd better get his boots back on. Boswell really had a nightmare, that day, didn't he? If Ikeme was really that bad, yesterday, then we surely must bring Martinez back for the next game.

I was there as well. I knew Evans would score against us. And yesterday, regardless of how poor Ikeme was,it would have been impossible to be as bad as Alan "the cat" Boswell.

It won’t make much difference who is in goal if the opposition are given so much time to show from distance. Whilst there are massive issues with the back four the central midfield giving opponents so much time to pick there spot is dreadful. K Mac is particularly poor at tracking opponent’s runs and as I said on the verdict thread the time to drop him is long overdue.

No way is Ikeme that bad, in fact probably been our most consistant performer for a couple of seasons...up till this season, I've stood up for him but he just hasn't been good enough and so needs a rest from 1st team action, don't know that Martinez is a massive upgrade but he deserves a run, would only sign a keeper if a top quality one was available, central defence is much more of a concern and we only have one fit, experienced striker and he's on loan.

I don't really want us to sign Martinez permanently unless we know he's not going to be as injured as he's been this season....

Some serious over reacting in here. He is a good enough keeper for a championship side at least, maybe not a top half one, but he is better or some ability as others, his athleticism has never been good, but some other elements of his game make up for it. Some of the comments on here are farcical though, he is a better keeper than De Vries ever was for us, or McCarey in his brief appearances so he isn't even the worst keeper of the last 5 seasons, let alone the worst player of ever in a Wolves shirt.

I think he's bang average. Beaten far too easily at distance over the years and has poor distribution.

Those are valid, his physical presence and bravery though are above average for this division. He has never had spring though when trying to get off the floor, people noticing this now though and slating him for it is strange. Keeper is way down the list of upgrades needed when you consider how much upgrading we may be doing this year. I wouldn't swap him for Ipswich or Birmingham's keeper for example, both teams above us.

Some serious over reacting in here. He is a good enough keeper for a championship side at least, maybe not a top half one, but he is better or some ability as others, his athleticism has never been good, but some other elements of his game make up for it. Some of the comments on here are farcical though, he is a better keeper than De Vries ever was for us, or McCarey in his brief appearances so he isn't even the worst keeper of the last 5 seasons, let alone the worst player of ever in a Wolves shirt.

He is this when he is on form. He has had a couple of really good games but several beaten from distance, beaten in the middle of the goal and thats not good enough. It brings the team down if you dont trust your keeper.

As I said earlier, he is a good keeper when at his best but this season has had too many mistakes in him, he should be dropped for Martinez at the moment but no need to completely write him off.

As I said earlier, he is a good keeper when at his best but this season has had too many mistakes in him, he should be dropped for Martinez at the moment but no need to completely write him off.

I just dont think he would be of a suitable standard even as back up if we are to challenge next season. Its harsh I know but he is not having a great season and nor are any of the defence Iorfa excluded and even he has a mistake or 2 in him as he is so young. I know Button punched one in his own net during the week but he is a cracking keeper.

I think one of the things that made Ikeme look good is we are used to watching him for pretty much two seasons uncontested, now having watched another keeper consistently between the sticks in Martinez you can see his failings. Still not a problem for now but as I said before something to consider in the summer. There are areas other need addressing in the team now, keeper can wait as we have a quality one in Martinez when fit.

Back