• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (A) 12/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they're playing poorly, just struggling in front of goal, much like ourselves. Callum Wilson has hit a real slump, I wouldn't be surprised if Isak started on Sunday, he's looked ok when I've seen him play. We need good Semedo and good RAN/Jonny to show up to control Saint-Maximim and Almiron who has actually looked like a real footballer this season. Joelinton being banned is good news, while he isn't as influential as Bruno he does a lot of the dirty work in their midfield. I just don't see us scoring, it's one of the leagues best defences v one of the leagues worst attacks.
A fair assessment. Isak is a very decent forward indeed but is still settling in. The one credit for Death Star commander Howe is the change of Joelinton from the worst forward on earth to a very serviceable central midfielder.

A fair assessment. Isak is a very decent forward indeed but is still settling in. The one credit for Death Star commander Howe is the change of Joelinton from the worst forward on earth to a very serviceable central midfielder.
Think you can add Almiron to that.

Dunno. Almiron might just be purple patch, and the rest of the season will tell I guess.

Really interesting to see whether or not JL will start with the formation he finished with on Saturday . We looked like a proper football team for that second half .

No chance. We did it to match Spurs up, Newcastle don't play a back three.
That's fair enough . He did it at the beginning , remember towards the end of matches in what appeared to be an effort to defend a lead or a draw in the final 15 minutes or so . All it ended up doing then was to invite teams onto us .

No word on Lemina - if he was injured or not and if he will be fit for the weekend . We need that lad on the pitch fit and well . Wouldn't mind seeing Gomes get a start either .

That's fair enough . He did it at the beginning , remember towards the end of matches in what appeared to be an effort to defend a lead or a draw in the final 15 minutes or so . All it ended up doing then was to invite teams onto us .

No word on Lemina - if he was injured or not and if he will be fit for the weekend . We need that lad on the pitch fit and well . Wouldn't mind seeing Gomes get a start either .
Someone said on the other thread that Bully was in The Stile after the game saying that Lemina picked up a knock!

Someone said on the other thread that Bully was in The Stile after the game saying that Lemina picked up a knock!
Lemina was limping slightly at the end of the game but it didn't stop him jumping on traore to celebrate at the end so probably just a precaution or Lopetegui wanted to switch to back 5 and made it an easy decision of who to take off.

Weird how man marking a dirty player can be bad for your health...

Geordie in peace here,

Hoping that Howe goes with Isak, Wilson looks tired and bang out of confidence. Missing Joelinton is a blow, but we'll likely stick with the same formation and just bring Willock in as a replacement. I wouldn't bet against a low score draw.

There are 100+ pubs in walking distance of the ground. No such thing as an away pub as you'll be welcome in all as long as you don't act like a knob. Something for everyone too, if you want a big place try the Mile Castle, proper old fashioned boozer go for the Crown Posada, aye there's loads.

If you want parking or food advice, let me know.

Geordie in peace here,

Hoping that Howe goes with Isak, Wilson looks tired and bang out of confidence. Missing Joelinton is a blow, but we'll likely stick with the same formation and just bring Willock in as a replacement. I wouldn't bet against a low score draw.

There are 100+ pubs in walking distance of the ground. No such thing as an away pub as you'll be welcome in all as long as you don't act like a knob. Something for everyone too, if you want a big place try the Mile Castle, proper old fashioned boozer go for the Crown Posada, aye there's loads.

Ah doo mate, think you could be right, I mean it pretty much always ends up 1-1 with a late equaliser. Obviously from our pov we are slowly gaining ground on the mid table with improved performances and results while you seemed to slipped a bit of late. You must be delighted with your progress so far under the new regime and Howe, what's your expectations for the future?

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Only joking pal

Geordie in peace here,

I "enjoyed" going in The Strawberry a few years back but, really, it's a home pub! 😂

Ah doo mate, think you could be right, I mean it pretty much always ends up 1-1 with a late equaliser. Obviously from our pov we are slowly gaining ground on the mid table with improved performances and results while you seemed to slipped a bit of late. You must be delighted with your progress so far under the new regime and Howe, what's your expectations for the future?
I predicted 9th at the beginning of the season, so anything better than that has to be seen as huge improvement on where we were. Especially when you include a League Cup Final. Even though the results have slipped away, our performances have been decent. Like Eddie's said, we're playing well box-to-box, it's just finishing off our chances. Everything Almiron swung his boot at was ending up in the back of the net, but now, Wilson can get a chance in the box and whiff at it.

Expectations wise, given the amount of finances available through the vile owners, the appointments we've made behind the scenes (Ashworth et al), and the commercial deals in the pipeline, I reckon we'll see significant investment his summer. More if we get Europe, and more again if we somehow get back into the Champions League conversation (although I think that ship has sailed).

I "enjoyed" going in The Strawberry a few years back but, really, it's a home pub! 😂
Aye, that's a home pub in so much as it's right by the ground, packed on a match day and all that. But I've stood shoulder to shoulder with fans of other clubs in there, with no bother. Only ever seen a small group of Arsenal fans get kicked out because they were coked out of their minds and acting the big 'un.

I'd recommend Rosies, Tilleys, The Forth, Town Wall, Trent House, but genuinely, you're spoiled for choice. Especially if you're staying overnight.

I would also suggest parking at the Metro Centre. Get the train into the centre. Free CCTV covered parking, and of course it's a shopping centre with all the fast food places for the drive back and it's right on the A1 so you can be on your way without having to fight through the post-match/Sunday night city traffic.

Oh aye, there wasn't any issues.

I'm local(ish) so know where to head and my brother lives in South Shields so will be drinking with him

Geordie in peace here,

I want your unfiltered feelings about Miggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back