• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Oxford

It's just a bit of cooking ffs, I'd bet Paddy's grub is not far off as good.
no-no-no-meme.gif

Can't decide which is worse, getting the order wrong or requesting a shandy in the first place!
As he couldn't drink a lot due to kidney issues a shandy was essentially a treat that allowed him to have a social drink so I will go with the order wrong option.

I used to drink shandy many years ago when I was driving (not at the same time obviously😁) but eventually it just got that I hated the taste.
Always had a problem in a pub when having to have soft drinks, don't like coke or any of the alternatives, recently I've settled on (non alcoholic) ginger beer, a return to my childhood.

I used to drink shandy many years ago when I was driving (not at the same time obviously😁) but eventually it just got that I hated the taste.
Always had a problem in a pub when having to have soft drinks, don't like coke or any of the alternatives, recently I've settled on (non alcoholic) ginger beer, a return to my childhood.
Yes this for me too.

As he couldn't drink a lot due to kidney issues a shandy was essentially a treat that allowed him to have a social drink so I will go with the order wrong option.
Definitely didn't mean to offend, just some good-natured ribbing.

We are off to Oxford in July to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Can anybody recommend any nice restaurants we could book? Mrs HW is a vegetarian.

Thanks
Hello mate, hope you are keeping well.

Living in Oxford, I can hopefully give you some ideas. Is there a particular type of cuisine you prefer or fairly open to suggestions?

There's a fairly new shopping centre called Westgate which has a few bars/restaurants on the top floor that look out across the city. These two are probably the nicest, although can be pricey (most places in Oxford are, to be fair!) -

The earlier suggested Ivy or Quod are good options and walkable from the city centre. There are loads of good options if you venture a bit further out in to Cowley, Jericho, Summertown etc - but I'll just suggest the city centre ones for now.

If you prefer a 'pub', I've always liked the Chequers & I seem to recall their vegetarian options were pretty good.

There's loads of options on George Street, which is the main chain restaurant/pub street in Oxford. Thaikhun is great if you don't want to go too posh and like Thai food.

I hope you have a great trip. If you're looking for other suggestions of what to do while here, I can stick some ideas down if you want.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are staying at the Old Bank Hotel in the town centre.

We don't really mind what we eat - we are not fussy. I know that the hotel has a couple of restaurants that are quite liked on tripadvisor.

Very happy to have fish and chips in a pub or a nice Thai or Mezzi go down well. Thaikhun & Chequers sound great.
Jinky - we may well come back to you for more help with cruise or walking tours!

Thinking of:-

or...

Living in Oxford, I can hopefully give you some ideas. Is there a particular type of cuisine you prefer or fairly open to suggestions?

There's a fairly new shopping centre called Westgate which has a few bars/restaurants on the top floor that look out across the city. These two are probably the nicest, although can be pricey (most places in Oxford are, to be fair!) -

The earlier suggested Ivy or Quod are good options and walkable from the city centre. There are loads of good options if you venture a bit further out in to Cowley, Jericho, Summertown etc - but I'll just suggest the city centre ones for now.

If you prefer a 'pub', I've always liked the Chequers & I seem to recall their vegetarian options were pretty good.

There's loads of options on George Street, which is the main chain restaurant/pub street in Oxford. Thaikhun is great if you don't want to go too posh and like Thai food.

I hope you have a great trip. If you're looking for other suggestions of what to do while here, I can stick some ideas down if you want.
I've been to the Mowgli in Liverpool, it was bloody lovely.

Dirty Bones in Westgate is brilliant for a couple of cocktails

Good friend of mine owns Summertown Wine Bar that's recently opened if that's your thing. He also owns Grape Minds wine shop there if you fancy a couple of bottles to take home. That's enough plugging for him though!

If you are also looking for something for lunch, we had incredible Pinsas - a lighter type of pizza - at Bbuona.

Back