• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Political Compass

Bang in the middle for me. I got the blue square nearest to the centre cross of the graph. So maybe I'm not as right wing as some might think. Certainly not as liberal left as most of you lot though! :)

Interesting.

Economic Left/Right: -3.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

Fucking #votewinner!!!!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39471102
The co-leaders of the Green Party have explained their party's proposals to introduce a three-day weekend.
Jonathan Bartley told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show that people felt "short-changed" by the economy, which he said had brought growing inequality.
Caroline Lucas said there was "a lot of evidence" that when people are exhausted their productivity goes down.
The proposal was announced at the Greens' conference in Liverpool this week in a pitch for the youth vote.
The party has said it could be included in its 2020 manifesto.

I can tell I'm getting old and boring...my first thought was not 'wahey, three day weekend!' but 'fuck, how do I pay my bills on a 4 day salary!'.

A 3 day weekend for all apart from teachers sounds fucking ideal to me :)

Absolutely, I love my kids to bits, but after the weekend I'm happy to go to work for a rest!

I can tell I'm getting old and boring...my first thought was not 'wahey, three day weekend!' but '$#@!, how do I pay my bills on a 4 day salary!'.

Work an extra couple of hours every day - 8 to 6 instead of 9-5. A few people at my place have done this, compressed their hours, to good effect. If everyone did it then it becomes an organisational issue but as long as it was properly planned and not everybody had Friday off it is feasible.

Research, albeit limited so far, suggests it has very little impact on productivity overall.

Work FOUR days a week? Fuck that for a game of soldiers. Way too many.

Work an extra couple of hours every day - 8 to 6 instead of 9-5. A few people at my place have done this, compressed their hours, to good effect. If everyone did it then it becomes an organisational issue but as long as it was properly planned and not everybody had Friday off it is feasible.

Research, albeit limited so far, suggests it has very little impact on productivity overall.

Depends whether you have fixed work to do, or deal with situations. A few people at my place do this and it's a massive pain if something goes wrong, or questions come down the line when they're not about. Just means they can't really do their jobs properly.

If you're producing something standard then it makes no difference to productivity of course. We let call centre people do it if they like and makes no difference to the business and works for the individuals.

It could only really work at our place if it was an industry wide thing. Our site is only open 7.30-4.30 and whenever I've worked over until 5.30-6 to wait for a driver to get back we rarely get any customers phoning during that time. Plus, there are only 3 of us in the office so we'd probably have to learn all the parts of each other's jobs to be able to cover each other effectively. It doesn't affect me too much anyway I guess as I only officially work until 12.30 on a Friday anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of other places where it could work well though.

I'm probably not mature enough to make a four-day-week work as I've been too distracted by one of the contributors being named Barbara Wankoff.

:icon_lol:

Plus, there are only 3 of us in the office so we'd probably have to learn all the parts of each other's jobs to be able to cover each other effectively.

Ah, the HR/management consultant dream ticket. Which never, ever, ever, ever works.

Almost as if different people have different skills and they've worked a career path in a certain direction for a reason.

Depends whether you have fixed work to do, or deal with situations. A few people at my place do this and it's a massive pain if something goes wrong, or questions come down the line when they're not about. Just means they can't really do their jobs properly.

If you're producing something standard then it makes no difference to productivity of course. We let call centre people do it if they like and makes no difference to the business and works for the individuals.

Are there not any contingency plans in place for things like them having annual leave or being off sick?

There are some examples where other people in the teams just have to di their best to cover - but we have a few more senior people where decisions just have to wait til they're back or someone has to have their best stab at it. Problem is, a lot of roles are technical or confidential.

We also have people whose hours are fixed, such as these condensed hours people, they leave on time every day, those of us who aren't work more hours as we don't have the same urgency to leave (kids to pick up etc). I'm caught somewhere between the 'you should be able to do your job in the normal working day' and 'my workloads flex so my working hours have to flex too'.

Wouldn't work at our place. Engineers drive to a job, do a job and then drive home.

I'd imagine that production would drop anyway. People will end up doing the same amount of work between 8 and 6, 4 days a week than they would from 9 and 5, 5 days a weeks.

What would you do if people want to work overtime?

Pretty easy to learn eating half a bar of chocolate

Yes but could she learn the complexities of my job? It's taken me a long time to get really good at spending my days stroking my beard and looking important while posting a load of bollocks on a football forum.

I'm probably not mature enough to make a four-day-week work as I've been too distracted by one of the contributors being named Barbara Wankoff.

When we export to India, we have to have someone one inspect the material and issue a certificate, my contact at the inspection company is a Mr Manmeat, makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time :)

Back