• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

Lá - je

Would upload an audio if I could.

Video starts with the journalist saying his name.
Cheers. So like a very fast Mancunian "Giving it Laaaage" but with a soft end.

Laazzhhh

As this is pretty much a done deal, and I've talked enough about his coaching ability and that I agree it is a risky signing. I wanted to bring the following to the table.

In my mind, this is what I remember of Lage at Benfica:
Following the final whistle on the last game of the Portuguese Premier League, season 18/19, Lage went into the dressing room and after the trophy presentation and everything, he eventually came back with this shirt, presenting it to a full-to-the-brim Estádio da Luz:

Jaime Graça was a Portuguese and Benfica old glory player. He died in 2012, but not before helping out Lage starting his career. In Lage's words: «Não é o único homem importante na minha carreira. Mas é também muito importante na minha vida.» 'He's not the only important man in my career. He's also a very important in my life'. He went on to thank some other personalities, including Carvalhal with whom he worked in England.

Here he was, smiling at the trophy he had managed to secure, against all odds. Benfica was trailing behind in February. He went on to win pretty much all games in the second half. Including a 4-2 win at Alvalade (Sporting stadium) and an epic 2-1 victory over Porto at Dragão. I pretty much had to be dragged away from my spot in the stadium that night. We were one of the last people to leave after the celebrations, and I was almost crying in joy and in a state of pure bliss.
img_640x426$2019_05_19_01_45_30_587407.jpg

His last trophy for Benfica was the Supertaça, a cup game in which the victor of the Premier League and the cup (or the cup finalist if it's the same club) play against each other. Benfica smashed Sporting 5-0.
bruno-lage-no-relvado-new.jpg

Bruno Lage standing alone in the middle of the pitch prior to that game.

I was in the stadium in that game, home turf for me as it was played in Algarve. I will never forget that afternoon and night. Took this shot after the match.
IMG-20190804-224110.jpg

He's not the best manager. He might fail at Wolves, or might not. I don't know and I hope he's a major win for us.

But he's one hell of a man.

Obrigado

Good to hear what sort of man we're getting. Think we all fell in love with the class and humility of Nuno, each MOTM award held aloft by the tea lady, the coach driver, the groundsman, etc

He's not going to have done 4 years at Swansea and Sheff Wed and be a Portuguese Del Boy

What’s his English like?
Been trying to find a video of him speaking English but there aren't any. As he has lived and worked here before I'm assuming he speaks reasonable English. Even Portuguese who've never been seem to have a good grasp of English

Back