• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

****POLL NOW IN OP****Who do you want next?

I'm standing FOR my club and against unsubstantiated bullshit and supposition.
Spiers article is full of assumption, he knows nothing but keeps on with his anti Fosun stance. He did it when Kenny was sacked and again when Lambert was sacked. He knows as much now as he did then, which would fit on the back of a postage stamp
I don't care what Tim Spiers thinks, haven't even read his article.

I don't see the need to back the board/owners right now when they've taken a decision that 80%+ of us (being conservative) would never have even considered making 48 hours ago.

I'm standing FOR my club and against unsubstantiated bullshit and supposition.
Spiers article is full of assumption, he knows nothing but keeps on with his anti Fosun stance. He did it when Kenny was sacked and again when Lambert was sacked. He knows as much now as he did then, which would fit on the back of a postage stamp
Reads more anti-Nuno than anti-Fosun to me, he's generally making out the club did the right thing. Think the issue is a lot of people, particularly on here, are backing Nuno to the hilt so everything that doesn't toe that line is a negative story to them.

Reads more anti-Nuno than anti-Fosun to me, he's generally making out the club did the right thing. Think the issue is a lot of people, particularly on here, are backing Nuno to the hilt so everything that doesn't toe that line is a negative story to them.

The thing is you can read this decision either way: it's Fosun taking a massive gamble to progress us under the assumption Nuno isn't that man (which the majority of this board have been saying for months), or it's Fosun risking the club's Premier League safety.

Don't get me wrong, we probably won't finish top six next season as there will be a rebuild job now, but Nuno was always safety first - we wouldn't have gone down and some now see that as a possibility (not saying I'm one of them) which I think is where the panic lies somewhat.

I don't think there will be a mass player exodus, I don't think "the dream" is over. I also don't think we would have gotten the best out of Neto and Traore in a 3-4-3 because they've both painted ridiculously frustrated figures this season. I do think this decision has been taken with the idea of progressing young players in mind and building a sustainable side for the future.

I am willing to give the new guy a chance whether it's Lage or whoever. Fosun have got a pretty big sword to fall on now, but having slept on it I think it's allowing a manager who has contributed massively to the project to go out on a high. We should have done this with MM after Blackburn.

There's only so much you can kid yourself, I mean people on here gave Saunders "a go" when he was patently unqualified for the job and obviously a moron.

If we go and appoint someone who is objectively worse than what we've got rid of (out of our own doing), which is quite likely given the candidates that seem to be in line, then that's bad news.

There's a reason why Nuno's four years is quite a long time in football management these days. It's because clubs are very bad at hiring them. No reason to suspect our board (with absolutely no football background, remember) will be any different, they could have just lucked out on Nuno - or got him handed on a plate by Mendes - and we're back to being impressed by Walter Zenga because he played at Italia 90.

I don't think we have the foundations to make this kind of call, there are issues with the squad, there are gaps at club level, Nuno underpinned everything. Come Monday, he isn't here. So what are you left with?

In fairness mate, as Kenny mentioned yesterday, Zenga was a fall back after Lopetegui went to Spain - and look at how well he (Lopetegui) has done since.

OK we hired Lambert in the mean time but that was very much a "steady the ship" job. Fosun are 50/50 on good calls and bad, if you even consider Lambert a bad call because he did keep us up which is what he was tasked with.

I hazard whoever we hire we won't have heard of or know much about. I didn't know much about Nuno.

Out of what was there, I backed Lambert - but this was a tallest dwarf competition given that we actually interviewed Paul fucking Ince. Jesus, imagine that.

He was rubbish though.

There's no need to cheerlead for Fosun, this is Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Fosun FC.

They've just sacked the best manager we've had in 50+ years and there's little to suggest they're going to spend big and revamp the squad. Even if they did, they've taken a ridiculous gamble that we didn't need to make.

They want the club to be largely self-sufficient while we're in the Premier League. Fine, I'm down with that. Then don't lose the man who's synonymous with everything good we've done in the last four years on a whim.
You really think he was sacked on a whim? I very highly doubt that.

You really think he was sacked on a whim? I very highly doubt that.
I don't think we've thought it through very well, put it that way.

I mean there could be a masterplan locked away at Fosun HQ that I don't know about and we'll end up being miles better next season. But put me down on Team Sceptical for now on that front.

This time yesterday I'd have bet any money on us not getting relegated next season. Wasn't going to happen. Could happen now. I can't be happy with that situation.

Out of what was there, I backed Lambert - but this was a tallest dwarf competition given that we actually interviewed Paul fucking Ince. Jesus, imagine that.

He was rubbish though.

Put it this way, if it was Steve Morgan making this decision I'd be terrified.

If Fosun make the wrong call they'll put it right. It may make for a rocky year, but this wasn't made on any kind of whim.

How long has Jeff been here now? 3-4 years where he's lived and breathed football.

I'm nervous about the future, but also a little bit excited

How long has Jeff been here now? 3-4 years where he's lived and breathed football.

I'm nervous about the future, but also a little bit excited

Think I am in this boat too after sleeping on it a bit. Nuno has done wonders and will always be remembered for being part of the journey, but this is very Leicester/Ranieri for me - you have to know when it's time to part ways.

Whim? no, but knowledgeably? less sure.
What there absolutely has to be is a vision of what the next guy needs to be, which goes beyond Portuguese and takes us to the top 6. Signing a bunch of players for the future and then binning the manager based on the present makes that vision feel confused or misguided.

If he is to come from a small pool, then we are reducing the chances of finding a guy who is an upgrade

It's all a bit Rosie Swarbrick and "I'm excited to be going freelance and the opportunities that provides" for me.

Look, I could be wrong. I frequently am. I wanted Paul Simpson in 2006 and he ended up blaming Elvis for a defeat when he was at Preston, so what do I know. But I strongly suspect we've made a major mistake.

Whim? no, but knowledgeably? less sure.
What there absolutely has to be is a vision of what the next guy needs to be, that goes beyond Portuguese and takes us to the top 6. Signing a bunch of players for the future and then binning the manager based on the present makes that vision feel confused or misguided

But those young players will have bought into the project at Wolves being built by Fosun. It wasn't built by Nuno. Nuno bought into that project too.

I don't think we've thought it through very well, put it that way.

I mean there could be a masterplan locked away at Fosun HQ that I don't know about and we'll end up being miles better next season. But put me down on Team Sceptical for now on that front.

This time yesterday I'd have bet any money on us not getting relegated next season. Wasn't going to happen. Could happen now. I can't be happy with that situation.
I don't think Jeff Shi does anything without really thinking it through, I really don't. Listen to him speak, he's a very measured and considered man who I think likes to get all his ducks in row before acting. It doesnt always pan out (see Lopetegui/Zenga), but I think the way we approached Nuno's first 2 seasons illustrates it well. After that, maybe things didn't go as well BECAUSE Nuno was too much in control? The small squad, the signing only young hot prospects? Maybe that was Nuno's influence.

I'm sad to see him go, but I'm also willing to acknowledge that for a year or more we have been largely insipid or worse. And that buck rests with Nuno, not Fosun.

It's all a bit Rosie Swarbrick and "I'm excited to be going freelance and the opportunities that provides" for me.

Look, I could be wrong. I frequently am. I wanted Paul Simpson in 2006 and he ended up blaming Elvis for a defeat when he was at Preston, so what do I know. But I strongly suspect we've made a major mistake.
He’s a fucker that Elvis is.

But those young players will have bought into the project at Wolves being built by Fosun. It wasn't built by Nuno. Nuno bought into that project too.
and then got sacked for it.
If he thought he'd be binned for a midtable finish do you think he'd have spent £37m on an 18 year old for the future or signed players for the present? I think everyone can agree that money being spent on an AM and a CH would have been better for 2020/1

If he thought he'd be binned for a midtable finish do you think he'd have spent £37m on an 18 year old for the future or signed players for the present? I think every can agree that money being spend on an AM and a CH would have been better for 2020/1

There were no murmurs of us wanting to swap until 4231 until November though, so we wouldn't have signed those players.

If he thought he'd be binned for a midtable finish do you think he'd have spent £37m on an 18 year old for the future or signed players for the present? I think every can agree that money being spend on an AM and a CH would have been better for 2020/1
A mid-table finish is one thing, the stuff that Spiers was talking about is harder to tolerate (if that's the right word?)

Back